B.A.D. Observations Thread

Mick Jones, Carbon/Silicon, BAD and cetera.
TeddyB Not Logged In
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Re: B.A.D. Observations Thread

Post by TeddyB Not Logged In »

It never got to the stage where any combined track lists were bandied about. Just that Looking For A Song would be potentially the lead track for an EP release that bided time until a full album was released. I don’t think this was a good idea as a single regardless, lyrically. Oh and Marky, I haven’t had a chance to download listen yet to your new F-Punk, but aside from Mick’s midrange vocals, the biggest issue in the mix for me is the drum sound. Not blaming Chris, mind you. The sound. It’s “real”, which is quite a change up for a group that rarely if ever used real drums on a record, but it’s very garage. Cool in theory..

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

TeddyB Not Logged In wrote:
10 Feb 2023, 5:05pm
It never got to the stage where any combined track lists were bandied about. Just that Looking For A Song would be potentially the lead track for an EP release that bided time until a full album was released. I don’t think this was a good idea as a single regardless, lyrically. Oh and Marky, I haven’t had a chance to download listen yet to your new F-Punk, but aside from Mick’s midrange vocals, the biggest issue in the mix for me is the drum sound. Not blaming Chris, mind you. The sound. It’s “real”, which is quite a change up for a group that rarely if ever used real drums on a record, but it’s very garage. Cool in theory..
Definitely agree about the drum sound. Though that's rectified somewhat on this mix.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

TeddyB Not Logged In
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

sambadrome wrote:
10 Feb 2023, 5:16am
09 Feb 2023, 11:30pm
Sony already had the band’s final mix of Higher Power, which hadn’t yet been released, when they heard the demos for “Punk”, as it was originally called. This is when the alternate ideas about how to release the material were tossed about. Sony also had their staff engineer Michael Brauer (who has just now done the Dylan Time Out of Mind remix released recently) remix five of the HP songs as a test. Mick liked them but decided against using outside mixes. He’s since expressed regret for recording these albums the way they were done (c.f. Bazarboy’s reference to “home studio”; also true what he said about F-Punk being recorded basically live). Sony actually wished at the time they’d come off the road and spend more time on the records.
Thanks for the info Teddy. That's really interesting. I guess the success of Rush and The Globe album in the US and Australia meant that more time was devoted to touring, and perhaps the band didn't spend as much time as they should have perfecting the new material in the studio.

I was reading elsewhere on the forum how the production and attention to detail on The Globe album was absolutely flawless - something I totally agree with - but I never really got that impression from the two albums that followed.

In many ways it's commendable that Mick and the band didn't rest on their laurels following the success of The Globe and kept on pushing forwards, but perhaps those ideas just needed a little more studio time.

I think I will compile a playlist from the two albums now, to get some perspective on what might have been, had the band followed Sony's lead.
The Globe had two rounds of production - the Kool Aid version and then extra songs and tweaks. The touring got in the way of studio work when they went out with U2.

sambadrome
Dirty Punk

Post by sambadrome »

10 Feb 2023, 6:40pm
sambadrome wrote:
10 Feb 2023, 5:16am
09 Feb 2023, 11:30pm
Sony already had the band’s final mix of Higher Power, which hadn’t yet been released, when they heard the demos for “Punk”, as it was originally called. This is when the alternate ideas about how to release the material were tossed about. Sony also had their staff engineer Michael Brauer (who has just now done the Dylan Time Out of Mind remix released recently) remix five of the HP songs as a test. Mick liked them but decided against using outside mixes. He’s since expressed regret for recording these albums the way they were done (c.f. Bazarboy’s reference to “home studio”; also true what he said about F-Punk being recorded basically live). Sony actually wished at the time they’d come off the road and spend more time on the records.
Thanks for the info Teddy. That's really interesting. I guess the success of Rush and The Globe album in the US and Australia meant that more time was devoted to touring, and perhaps the band didn't spend as much time as they should have perfecting the new material in the studio.

I was reading elsewhere on the forum how the production and attention to detail on The Globe album was absolutely flawless - something I totally agree with - but I never really got that impression from the two albums that followed.

In many ways it's commendable that Mick and the band didn't rest on their laurels following the success of The Globe and kept on pushing forwards, but perhaps those ideas just needed a little more studio time.

I think I will compile a playlist from the two albums now, to get some perspective on what might have been, had the band followed Sony's lead.
The Globe had two rounds of production - the Kool Aid version and then extra songs and tweaks. The touring got in the way of studio work when they went out with U2.
That makes sense. Thanks for the insight.

bazarboy75
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by bazarboy75 »

the biggest issue in the mix for me is the drum sound.
Oh yeah
and the lack of bass frequencies in general
even if maybe the band wanted to move towards a more garage sound as you also mention (??)

TeddyB Not Logged In
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

bazarboy75 wrote:
11 Feb 2023, 8:25am
the biggest issue in the mix for me is the drum sound.
Oh yeah
and the lack of bass frequencies in general
even if maybe the band wanted to move towards a more garage sound as you also mention (??)
The point may not have been “garage” so much as “live”. More immediate.

oliver
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by oliver »

It was nice to hear Union Jack played as the outro music on the latest Ted Lasso episode (s03e10)
Maybe Megatop Phoenix will gain a few more downloads.
Putting a little stick about. Putting the frighteners on flash little twerps

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Talk about being ahead of your time: I was just playing the album Tighten Up Vol. 88 as I worked on Spotify and it sounded absolutely spot on through a mobile phone speaker, the way top producers aim to have their records sound in 2023.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Silent Majority wrote:
30 Oct 2023, 8:09am
Talk about being ahead of your time: I was just playing the album Tighten Up Vol. 88 as I worked on Spotify and it sounded absolutely spot on through a mobile phone speaker, the way top producers aim to have their records sound in 2023.
Underrated album imo. Mick's best ever singing.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Silent Majority wrote:
Incredible Rorschach test of a compliment
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Silent Majority wrote:
Ha! Back in the 60s, Motown mixed their records thru car speakers because they reasoned that was where most of their audience would hear it, so that was the ideal for sound.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

My God, but Kool Aid is so much better than the Globe, it's untrue. So inventive and playful.

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

oliver
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by oliver »

Silent Majority wrote:
31 Oct 2023, 7:47am
My God, but Kool Aid is so much better than the Globe, it's untrue. So inventive and playful.
I'm definitely in the Kool-Aid over The Globe camp too. Not a huge deal in it for me but for whatever reason I always go to KA first.
Putting a little stick about. Putting the frighteners on flash little twerps

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Silent Majority wrote:
It wins for me just by having a version of "Free" on it, but I agree the whole package is great.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Kory wrote:
31 Oct 2023, 1:37pm
Silent Majority wrote:
It wins for me just by having a version of "Free" on it, but I agree the whole package is great.
Yeah, Free is one of their greats.

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/