B.A.D. Observations Thread

Mick Jones, Carbon/Silicon, BAD and cetera.
YoungParisians
Bang Ice Geezer

Re: B.A.D. Observations Thread

Post by YoungParisians »

"The biggest mistake I ever made with The Clash, my biggest regret, was that we stopped communciating with each other. There was a period, a year or something, where we weren't even passing the grunt level. We would look at the floor. It was a terrible mistake, but we carried on like that and nobody said anything about it. 'Don't upset the applecart'

Melody Maker 11-June-1988
EwWJAa5U8AI3sR8.jpg
EwWJA7BVEAQt19a.jpg
Hello? Go ahead, man. Yeah I'd just like to say, um, lets have some music now, huh? Ok, ok...thank you.

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Great article.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Yeah, good article, I remember reading it at the time. The comments about computer software are strange, this album sounds even more artificial than Upping St. It certainly doesn't sound like a band playing together.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

YoungParisians
Bang Ice Geezer

Post by YoungParisians »

Mid-80s software rearing its ugly head. Its amazing that Megatop was released just a year later. Even though the 'house' sound is dated now the album overall is more focused, tougher, solid sounding, etc. The songwriting, sample editing and flow of that album is just so much stronger than Tighten Up. Amazing what chicken pox and pneumonia will do to ya...
Hello? Go ahead, man. Yeah I'd just like to say, um, lets have some music now, huh? Ok, ok...thank you.

Heston

Post by Heston »

YoungParisians wrote:
17 Mar 2021, 12:41pm
Mid-80s software rearing its ugly head. Its amazing that Megatop was released just a year later. Even though the 'house' sound is dated now the album overall is more focused, tougher, solid sounding, etc. The songwriting, sample editing and flow of that album is just so much stronger than Tighten Up. Amazing what chicken pox and pneumonia will do to ya...
Yes, Megatop is very well produced. Better bass and drum sounds for starters, just a shame Mick had lost a bit of bite in the vocal department due to his illness. Don't agree about the songwriting though, much prefer the melodic vibe of Tighten Up.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
17 Mar 2021, 12:50pm
YoungParisians wrote:
Yes, Megatop is very well produced. Better bass and drum sounds for starters, just a shame Mick had lost a bit of bite in the vocal department due to his illness. Don't agree about the songwriting though, much prefer the melodic vibe of Tighten Up.
Mick produced Tighten Up Vol. 88 but Megatop Phoenix was produced by Bill Price.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Heston

Post by Heston »

Marky Dread wrote:
17 Mar 2021, 4:12pm
Heston wrote:
YoungParisians wrote:
Mick produced Tighten Up Vol. 88 but Megatop Phoenix was produced by Bill Price.
Yeah, shame Bill wasn't on board earlier, he is great.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
17 Mar 2021, 4:15pm
Marky Dread wrote:
17 Mar 2021, 4:12pm
Heston wrote:
YoungParisians wrote:
Yeah, shame Bill wasn't on board earlier, he is great.
Bill Price was integral to the sound of The Clash and BAD. Mick can produce well but the experience Bill had was immeasurable.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

Great interview.

Also — it's really weird for me to think that Mick was in his late-20s/early-30s for prime BAD. I always sort of pegged him being at least 5-10 years older for some reason.

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Inder wrote:
17 Mar 2021, 4:30pm
Great interview.

Also — it's really weird for me to think that Mick was in his late-20s/early-30s for prime BAD. I always sort of pegged him being at least 5-10 years older for some reason.
The older I get the wilder what musicians were doing at my age is. Bowie was in Tin Machine.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Wolter wrote:
17 Mar 2021, 4:32pm
Inder wrote:
Great interview.

The older I get the wilder what musicians were doing at my age is. Bowie was in Tin Machine.
These kind of observations lead to midlife crises. What a waste.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Kory wrote:
18 Mar 2021, 3:55pm
Wolter wrote:
Inder wrote:
Great interview.

Oh c'mon Tin Machine wasn't that bad. ;)

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Marky Dread wrote:
18 Mar 2021, 3:58pm
Kory wrote:
Wolter wrote:
Inder wrote:
Great interview.

I'd give my firstborn to do anything on that level. As it is, I've recorded 10 solo albums since 2001, and two albums and some singles with my hip hop group since 2006, and don't feel like I've really achieved anything.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Kory wrote:
18 Mar 2021, 4:05pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Kory wrote:
Wolter wrote:
Inder wrote:
Great interview.

I'd give my firstborn to do anything on that level. As it is, I've recorded 10 solo albums since 2001, and two albums and some singles with my hip hop group since 2006, and don't feel like I've really achieved anything.
Personal satisfaction surely mate.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
18 Mar 2021, 4:05pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Kory wrote:
Wolter wrote:
Inder wrote:
Great interview.

2 Live Crew 2: Millennial Nasty?
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft