B.A.D. Observations Thread

Mick Jones, Carbon/Silicon, BAD and cetera.
Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Re: B.A.D. Observations Thread

Post by Wolter »

Kory wrote:
18 Mar 2021, 4:05pm
Marky Dread wrote:
18 Mar 2021, 3:58pm
Kory wrote:
18 Mar 2021, 3:55pm
Wolter wrote:
17 Mar 2021, 4:32pm
Inder wrote:
17 Mar 2021, 4:30pm
Great interview.

Also — it's really weird for me to think that Mick was in his late-20s/early-30s for prime BAD. I always sort of pegged him being at least 5-10 years older for some reason.
The older I get the wilder what musicians were doing at my age is. Bowie was in Tin Machine.
These kind of observations lead to midlife crises. What a waste.
Oh c'mon Tin Machine wasn't that bad. ;)
I'd give my firstborn to do anything on that level. As it is, I've recorded 10 solo albums since 2001, and two albums and some singles with my hip hop group since 2006, and don't feel like I've really achieved anything.
I feel like very few professional musicians should compare themselves with Bowie unless they’re also huge stars. Just defeatist.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Marky Dread wrote:
18 Mar 2021, 4:09pm
Kory wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Kory wrote:
Wolter wrote:

The older I get the wilder what musicians were doing at my age is. Bowie was in Tin Machine.
I'd give my firstborn to do anything on that level. As it is, I've recorded 10 solo albums since 2001, and two albums and some singles with my hip hop group since 2006, and don't feel like I've really achieved anything.
Personal satisfaction surely mate.
That would require me to not hate my own stuff. :lol:
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Kory wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Kory wrote:
Wolter wrote:
Inder wrote:
17 Mar 2021, 4:30pm
Great interview.

Also — it's really weird for me to think that Mick was in his late-20s/early-30s for prime BAD. I always sort of pegged him being at least 5-10 years older for some reason.
I just write and play music because I like it. I love playing live even though it can be stressful, but nothing is better than writing a song. You suddenly have something that never existed 24 hours or whatever previously. I guess I just enjoy the creative process, and would do it even if no one heard the songs.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Wolter wrote:
18 Mar 2021, 4:31pm
Kory wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Kory wrote:
Wolter wrote:

I feel like very few professional musicians should compare themselves with Bowie unless they’re also huge stars. Just defeatist.
Sure, but if one is going to compare oneself, Tin Machine is probably the one that will cause the least depression. Well, Tonight maybe. Bowie was just the doorway for the sentiment though, I feel the same way compared to anybody.
Last edited by Kory on 18 Mar 2021, 4:45pm, edited 1 time in total.

Heston

Post by Heston »

Wolter wrote:
18 Mar 2021, 4:31pm
Kory wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Kory wrote:
Wolter wrote:

This
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Heston wrote:
18 Mar 2021, 4:41pm
Kory wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Kory wrote:
Wolter wrote:

I just write and play music because I like it. I love playing live even though it can be stressful, but nothing is better than writing a song. You suddenly have something that never existed 24 hours or whatever previously. I guess I just enjoy the creative process, and would do it even if no one heard the songs.
Oh yeah, don't get me wrong—I continue and will continue to do it indefinitely, and I'm guaranteed that nobody's going to hear it. I'm just never happy with any of it by my own standards when when I finish.

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Kory wrote:
18 Mar 2021, 4:44pm
Heston wrote:
18 Mar 2021, 4:41pm
Kory wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Kory wrote:

Oh yeah, don't get me wrong—I continue and will continue to do it indefinitely, and I'm guaranteed that nobody's going to hear it. I'm just never happy with any of it by my own standards when when I finish.
The one drawing of mine that has any notoriety is a Sal Buscema homage with NUMEROUS flaws I can see deeply.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
Do you ever go back and revisit older stuff? I ask because I don't think I've ever written anything of real value, but when I've had to go back to stuff to mine for lecture material, I've warmed to it somewhat—i.e., I can find a couple decent ideas or turns of phrase that I think are okay. Time does sand down some of our self-criticism.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Heston

Post by Heston »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
18 Mar 2021, 4:48pm
Kory wrote:
Do you ever go back and revisit older stuff? I ask because I don't think I've ever written anything of real value, but when I've had to go back to stuff to mine for lecture material, I've warmed to it somewhat—i.e., I can find a couple decent ideas or turns of phrase that I think are okay. Time does sand down some of our self-criticism.
Good points Doc. I'm assuming you produce/mix your stuff yourself Kory, sometimes you just get sick of songs because you hear them 300 times during the creation/production/mixing of them. Then time does its thing and it's like hearing it anew.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Yeah I usually go back to listen to a couple choice albums maybe once a year. There have been a couple times where I say to myself "this isn't so bad, I guess," but more often than not it tends to be more "this is mixed very poorly," or "this track is too long and that transition is stupid." I also wind up seeing it through the lens of whatever I'm working on at the time, too, so that doesn't help. I recognize that heavy self-criticism is integral to improvement, but it does leave me feeling like I'm wasting my time a lot.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Heston wrote:
18 Mar 2021, 4:53pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Good points Doc. I'm assuming you produce/mix your stuff yourself Kory, sometimes you just get sick of songs because you hear them 300 times during the creation/production/mixing of them. Then time does its thing and it's like hearing it anew.
Definitely dealing with that right now. I'm mixing a new song for my hip hop concern and I'm in a new room with new monitors and new test speakers, so I'm at a big disadvantage and I'm soooooooo tired of this song now. I can't even listen to it objectively any more so I'm sending it to an engineer I know who's offered some free mix critiques to his entire friends list on FB.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Yeah I usually go back to listen to a couple choice albums maybe once a year. There have been a couple times where I say to myself "this isn't so bad, I guess," but more often than not it tends to be more "this is mixed very poorly," or "this track is too long and that transition is stupid." I also wind up seeing it through the lens of whatever I'm working on at the time, too, so that doesn't help. I recognize that heavy self-criticism is integral to improvement, but it does leave me feeling like I'm wasting my time a lot.
It's a document of who you were. That's its value. You're actually lucky in that, as a creative person, you do have those documents as evidence and measures.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

I'm the opposite. I write short stories, think they're at standard and go back to them and learn they needed about five more drafts.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
18 Mar 2021, 5:08pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
It's a document of who you were. That's its value. You're actually lucky in that, as a creative person, you do have those documents as evidence and measures.
Yeah, I do value them in that sense, but as somebody who was so obsessed with music as a kid that I decided I needed to make my own, I'm forever haunted by my inability to create at least one thing that's truly (and I hate this word) special, if that makes sense. It always seems just out of reach, even conceptually. Reminds me of that Calvin & Hobbes comic where Calvin tell Suzie that he imagines being a girl must be like being a bug—they have a dim perception that nature has played a trick on them, but lack the brainpower to comprehend the magnitude of it. I often feel like whatever it is that makes for really good songwriting is beyond me, to the point that I don't even know what I'm missing, in order to fix the situation.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Silent Majority wrote:
18 Mar 2021, 5:13pm
I'm the opposite. I write short stories, think they're at standard and go back to them and learn they needed about five more drafts.
Do you write drunk and edit sober? I've often thought about doing some writing, but I've never been able to think of anything compelling to write about.