B.A.D. Observations Thread

Mick Jones, Carbon/Silicon, BAD and cetera.
Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Re: B.A.D. Observations Thread

Post by Heston »

A new interview with Andre Shapps which throws a bit of light on the BAD II formation.

https://jaysmusicreviews.wordpress.com/ ... vYybmOKqlI
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

YoungParisians
Bang Ice Geezer

Post by YoungParisians »

Heston wrote:
21 Apr 2021, 5:46pm
A new interview with Andre Shapps which throws a bit of light on the BAD II formation.

https://jaysmusicreviews.wordpress.com/ ... vYybmOKqlI
That blog intro was so long I forgot there was an interview to follow...ha ha.

Never knew about that aborted Prince tour, though.
Hello? Go ahead, man. Yeah I'd just like to say, um, lets have some music now, huh? Ok, ok...thank you.

YoungParisians
Bang Ice Geezer

Post by YoungParisians »

Record Mirror in early 1986
51081644466_4c8cac52dc_o.jpg
Hello? Go ahead, man. Yeah I'd just like to say, um, lets have some music now, huh? Ok, ok...thank you.

YoungParisians
Bang Ice Geezer

Post by YoungParisians »

Record Mirror 02-November-1985
Record Mirror - 2nd November 1985-1.jpg
Record Mirror - 2nd November 1985-2.jpg

YoungParisians
Bang Ice Geezer

Post by YoungParisians »

Couple of low budget ads in FMQB, a radio trade journal, from 01-November01985 and 06-December-1985
FMQB-1985-11-01-3.jpg
FMQB-1985-12-06-3.jpg

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

YoungParisians wrote:
25 Apr 2021, 4:49pm
Couple of low budget ads in FMQB, a radio trade journal, from 01-November01985 and 06-December-1985
Some inspired design with those horses, I might have done something like that.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
26 Apr 2021, 2:09pm
YoungParisians wrote:
What makes it inspired? I say it not being snotty or dismissive but genuine curiosity as to how people like you do your job.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
26 Apr 2021, 2:16pm
What makes it inspired? I say it not being snotty or dismissive but genuine curiosity as to how people like you do your job.
well, for one, for anyone with a horse fetish this ad is all of a sudden very compelling.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
26 Apr 2021, 2:18pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
well, for one, for anyone with a horse fetish this ad is all of a sudden very compelling.
People laughed at Mick when he said that his music would appeal to bronies. They aren't laughing now. They're shuddering, but they're not laughing.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
YoungParisians wrote:
Thinking more on it, that decision probably came from a marketing manager rather than the designer. But the tagline is good and using a line from the song that isn't the main hook was pretty sharp. I was just imagining the moment they came up with that idea "...and the horses can be all the affiliate stations!"

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
26 Apr 2021, 2:23pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
YoungParisians wrote:
Thinking more on it, that decision probably came from a marketing manager rather than the designer. But the tagline is good and using a line from the song that isn't the main hook was pretty sharp. I was just imagining the moment they came up with that idea "...and the horses can be all the affiliate stations!"
To my crude eye, it's not awful by any means, but it doesn't strike me as inspired. But, again, depending on how convention is followed, maybe it is. Outsiders can be dopes.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
26 Apr 2021, 2:26pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
YoungParisians wrote:
To my crude eye, it's not awful by any means, but it doesn't strike me as inspired. But, again, depending on how convention is followed, maybe it is. Outsiders can be dopes.
I meant the concept more than the design itself, I just realized I erroneously said "design" in my original comment. That was probably slapped together at the last minute like most newspaper ads.

edit: If I find some free time (fat chance), it might actually be a fun exercise to make this ad look good.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
26 Apr 2021, 2:36pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:

I meant the concept more than the design itself, I just realized I erroneously said "design" in my original comment. That was probably slapped together at the last minute like most newspaper ads.

edit: If I find some free time (fat chance), it might actually be a fun exercise to make this ad look good.
I'd love to sit and have you explain how you do this stuff one day, just basic concepts and whys and hows of all that.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
26 Apr 2021, 2:53pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

I'd love to sit and have you explain how you do this stuff one day, just basic concepts and whys and hows of all that.
That could be fun and also beneficial to me as well (the only reason I ever do anything)—I often find that having to describe concepts helps me get a better grasp on them or even new insights.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
26 Apr 2021, 2:54pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
26 Apr 2021, 2:53pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:

That could be fun and also beneficial to me as well (the only reason I ever do anything)—I often find that having to describe concepts helps me get a better grasp on them or even new insights.
Organize a Zoom session edumacating us dopes!

(I do have some ulterior motives in all this. In my punk seminar, I really wanted to do a class on iconography in punk design, going so far as to buy several coffee tablish books with examples, but I realized I lacked any kind of foundation to run a discussion.)