B.A.D. Observations Thread

Mick Jones, Carbon/Silicon, BAD and cetera.
Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Re: B.A.D. Observations Thread

Post by Heston »

Kory wrote:
24 Apr 2019, 4:07pm
Heston wrote:
24 Apr 2019, 2:36pm
Kory wrote:
24 Apr 2019, 2:16pm
NoMoreHugh wrote:
23 Apr 2019, 5:17pm
Heston wrote:
22 Apr 2019, 6:49pm

The production is awful. Sounds like it was recorded underwater.

As an album I think it's their second best, better than Upping St. Surprised it never did that well and doesn't get much kudos.
Yes i can see what you mean about the production i have however felt that the production on all the BAD albums havent done the songs the justice that they deserve. One of the reasons i think they have not done so well commercially.
Upping st is a great album of course but i never understood the excitement that it generates when in comparison, other tracks are overlooked.
I couldnt tell you which album i like the most as it change all the time depending on my mood and thats also includes the BAD II era as well.

Isnt it crazy that they have one of the most renowned music film directors of the punk era and there is no decent film footage or even recordings of the band playing a live full set.
There's a TV performance from (I think) Argentina that's pretty good.
I think it's Brazil and the tv sound mix is awful. Levels are all over the place and Mick's guitar is practically non-existent during the show.
Your standards are too high. With Brazilian TV performances.
I must admit, people have noticed that about me before.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

BitterTom
Unknown Immortal

Post by BitterTom »

Applecart is such a beautiful track.

Question though, how big were B.A.D at the time? I'm guessing not huge but it's such an injustice listening to their albums, am so glad you lot suggested tracks for me to try, hooked for life now.

Heston

Post by Heston »

BitterTom wrote:
24 Apr 2019, 4:30pm

Question though, how big were B.A.D at the time? I'm guessing not huge but it's such an injustice listening to their albums, am so glad you lot suggested tracks for me to try, hooked for life now.
They created a stir with their first album. It only got to number 27 in the charts but was on the chart for over 6 months which is a hefty stay by anyone's standards. I remember my friends buying their records who had no interest in the Clash, they just saw them as a new band.

Upping St entered the charts with a bang but fell away pretty quickly. I still think they chose the wrong single to lead off with, V13 would have been a better choice than Beatbox. I think it was surefire hit but everyone had the album by the time it eventually came out a few months later, and it charted just outside the all important top 40.

Tighten Up was a bit of a disaster commercially but Mick fell ill during its promotional campaign, so who knows?

Megatop was more of a cultural hit than a commercial one, I used to hear that album at parties all the time, fitted right in with the ecstasy culture of the time.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Heston

Post by Heston »

And yeah, Applecart is superb.

BitterTom
Unknown Immortal

Post by BitterTom »

Heston wrote:
24 Apr 2019, 4:37pm
BitterTom wrote:

They created a stir with their first album. It only got to number 27 in the charts but was on the chart for over 6 months which is a hefty stay by anyone's standards. I remember my friends buying their records who had no interest in the Clash, they just saw them as a new band.

Upping St entered the charts with a bang but fell away pretty quickly. I still think they chose the wrong single to lead off with, V13 would have been a better choice than Beatbox. I think it was surefire hit but everyone had the album by the time it eventually came out a few months later, and it charted just outside the all important top 40.

Tighten Up was a bit of a disaster commercially but Mick fell ill during its promotional campaign, so who knows?

Megatop was more of a cultural hit than a commercial one, I used to hear that album at parties all the time, fitted right in with the ecstasy culture of the time.
Interesting read, cheers Heston. I was just shocked how little you see them on 80s playlists/compilations etc when their material was solid. There was plenty of crap around in that era which the likes of Smooth, Magic you name it will be happy to play but genuinely great songs by BAD don't get a look in. I also agree V13 would have been the better choice by far.

NoMoreHugh
Long Time Jerk
Location: Home is a black leather jacket fitting sweetly to my brain

Post by NoMoreHugh »

Heston wrote:
24 Apr 2019, 4:37pm
BitterTom wrote:

So many Bad decisions from the Band has always hankered there full potential.

One of the most annoying that i can remember would be reading in NME or other music mags at the time that there first single will be out on Monday etc and follow up with the album a week later. So on Monday out i would go to Our Price on cheapside to get the new release and of course as always and forever more each album or single that was due to be out would not show up. The guy in the shop would say it is due out today but it didnt turn up try next monday now and it should be in. Well of course that happened for weeks after until i gave up trying. Then about 2 - 3 months later in some cases the album / single would quietly turn up in a shop unannounced and i would see it and promptly buy it but i do wonder what damage the marketing had on the band when it was that unreliable causing a thinly spread of sales over a few weeks

TeddyB Not Logged In
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by TeddyB Not Logged In »

As has been discussed in the old days, one major issue with BAD in the UK is that they were signed to Columbia in New York. The UK record company got a smaller cut of BAD sales. Thus, they were always screwing around with things in hopes of maybe forcing a Clash reunion, as with the Clash they got the larger share.

NoMoreHugh
Long Time Jerk

Post by NoMoreHugh »

TeddyB Not Logged In wrote:
24 Apr 2019, 9:04pm
As has been discussed in the old days, one major issue with BAD in the UK is that they were signed to Columbia in New York. The UK record company got a smaller cut of BAD sales. Thus, they were always screwing around with things in hopes of maybe forcing a Clash reunion, as with the Clash they got the larger share.
Thanks for the insight TeddyB that makes sense now. Always wondered why that happened and the whole marketing just seemed so cant be arsed and there was me thinking it was just a lazy camp. The amount of fans that must have got excited over the new releases to be just let down on the day and months after cant have done the band any good at all.

While i am on a moan ha ha :mrgreen: due to obviously the sort of week i have had

The next wrong move would be releases of a well over due and eagerly awaited live album that turned up as the Alexander Paradiso gig.This was special to me as i was there (Ally Pally) so i sent me NME voucher off to get it and what a horrible sound that was and didnt resemble the gig at all - massive dissapointment that one .
Thank you to you TeddyB to allow us to have the untouched version that i truelly enjoy listening to. Thank you for uploading that i will be forever grateful to you for that

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

They are better than the Smooth FM shit that represents their time.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

MarkyJacobs
Junco Partner

Post by MarkyJacobs »

Silent Majority wrote:
26 Apr 2019, 8:24am
They are better than the Smooth FM shit that represents their time.
Re-tune your radio?

TeddyB Not Logged In
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by TeddyB Not Logged In »

As also discussed back in the old days, the Ally Pally Paradiso album was stuck together and meant to be a bootleg. Not an official bootleg, but one not traceable to the group, as that would have been a violation of their contract. It was the pressing plant who twigged that it was a BAD live thing, and rang up the record company instead of Nick’s brother (or something like that), to work out finances. The record company latched into the idea for promotion, and released it in Australia as a bonus to The Globe, and as an NME giveaway. I agree with NMH that I’d rather listen to the original tapes, which are good I think. The editing of the two shows and cutting down of songs and between time to fit a vinyl album didn’t really work but to be fair it was just meant as a DIY bootleg. Mick being too clever by half, and not for the first time.

NoMoreHugh
Long Time Jerk

Post by NoMoreHugh »

TeddyB Not Logged In wrote:
27 Apr 2019, 4:39am
As also discussed back in the old days, the Ally Pally Paradiso album was stuck together and meant to be a bootleg. Not an official bootleg, but one not traceable to the group, as that would have been a violation of their contract. It was the pressing plant who twigged that it was a BAD live thing, and rang up the record company instead of Nick’s brother (or something like that), to work out finances. The record company latched into the idea for promotion, and released it in Australia as a bonus to The Globe, and as an NME giveaway. I agree with NMH that I’d rather listen to the original tapes, which are good I think. The editing of the two shows and cutting down of songs and between time to fit a vinyl album didn’t really work but to be fair it was just meant as a DIY bootleg. Mick being too clever by half, and not for the first time.
Talking about Live is there any chance of a well put together Live album from the band ever materialising? I am not meaning the last reunion but more BAD of old ?
Lots of the bands of old seem to have loads of live albums so there must be a demand for it. Im sure SLF have about 6 or even more and Buzzcocks the same just as an example. Or even a proper studio Live version of Alexanda Palace ?

MarkyJacobs
Junco Partner

Post by MarkyJacobs »

Ally Pally was a strange choice of first UK gig for the 'new group'. It has to be said, it wasn't very close to capacity. And the crowd largely ignored Mick's plea to "dig the DJs" afterwards!

Ihad a dodgy tape of this gig at one time. Has anyone got a setlist? I don't think it would have been that different to APP. They'd have played Can't Wait, obviously. And I don't think 1999 featured.

Maybe there were 'invite only' things beforehand? It seems unlikely they'd play such s large venue (half-empty or otherwise) without a warm-up.

NoMoreHugh
Long Time Jerk

Post by NoMoreHugh »

MarkyJacobs wrote:
28 Apr 2019, 5:47am
Ally Pally was a strange choice of first UK gig for the 'new group'. It has to be said, it wasn't very close to capacity. And the crowd largely ignored Mick's plea to "dig the DJs" afterwards!

Ihad a dodgy tape of this gig at one time. Has anyone got a setlist? I don't think it would have been that different to APP. They'd have played Can't Wait, obviously. And I don't think 1999 featured.

Maybe there were 'invite only' things beforehand? It seems unlikely they'd play such s large venue (half-empty or otherwise) without a warm-up.
Its funny how we can both remember or see things differently. I saw them going down very well considering there was lots of different bands playing that day so maybe a mixed crowd. One of the guys that came with our crowd stalked the audience and got a chance to chat to Don letts before the gig started which i didnt believe him at the time until micks announcement that the old band was in the crowd watching.

I have to admit i didnt stay for the DJs as Micks suggestion at the time didnt make a great deal of sense as they was never on the Bill. So there was no clarity of what it was all about and it would have been late like midnight. To stay for something that wasnt very well known after midnight wouldnt have been that apeasing at the time . A better idea would have been to have had a taster while the band was still on stage .

I am guessing you did stay for the Djs - could you tell abit more about that as i am an old nostalgic and would like to know what i missed

Here is the gig in its entirety from TeddyB boot leg
Attachments
Al pal setlist.png

MarkyJacobs
Junco Partner

Post by MarkyJacobs »

I wasn't suggesting that they weren't well received by those that were there. But it's a massive, venue and there was certainly plenty of space to move around!

The DJs on the bill were Steve Proctor and Steve Bicknell. Many years later, I would buy the 12" of Rush, with City Lights on the flip, from Proctor on Discogs.

Surprised to learn James Brown, Free and 1999 were played!
Last edited by MarkyJacobs on 28 Apr 2019, 10:18am, edited 1 time in total.