B.A.D. Observations Thread

Mick Jones, Carbon/Silicon, BAD and cetera.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: B.A.D. Observations Thread

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
18 Mar 2021, 5:16pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
18 Mar 2021, 5:08pm
Kory wrote:
18 Mar 2021, 4:53pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
18 Mar 2021, 4:48pm
Kory wrote:
18 Mar 2021, 4:44pm
Oh yeah, don't get me wrong—I continue and will continue to do it indefinitely, and I'm guaranteed that nobody's going to hear it. I'm just never happy with any of it by my own standards when when I finish.
Do you ever go back and revisit older stuff? I ask because I don't think I've ever written anything of real value, but when I've had to go back to stuff to mine for lecture material, I've warmed to it somewhat—i.e., I can find a couple decent ideas or turns of phrase that I think are okay. Time does sand down some of our self-criticism.
Yeah I usually go back to listen to a couple choice albums maybe once a year. There have been a couple times where I say to myself "this isn't so bad, I guess," but more often than not it tends to be more "this is mixed very poorly," or "this track is too long and that transition is stupid." I also wind up seeing it through the lens of whatever I'm working on at the time, too, so that doesn't help. I recognize that heavy self-criticism is integral to improvement, but it does leave me feeling like I'm wasting my time a lot.
It's a document of who you were. That's its value. You're actually lucky in that, as a creative person, you do have those documents as evidence and measures.
Yeah, I do value them in that sense, but as somebody who was so obsessed with music as a kid that I decided I needed to make my own, I'm forever haunted by my inability to create at least one thing that's truly (and I hate this word) special, if that makes sense. It always seems just out of reach, even conceptually. Reminds me of that Calvin & Hobbes comic where Calvin tell Suzie that he imagines being a girl must be like being a bug—they have a dim perception that nature has played a trick on them, but lack the brainpower to comprehend the magnitude of it. I often feel like whatever it is that makes for really good songwriting is beyond me, to the point that I don't even know what I'm missing, in order to fix the situation.
I wish I had good advice for getting past this (I mean, I suffer the same lack of confidence). But it is on you and you need to trust what other people say when they praise you. Finding people you trust and value is vital. As much as anything, I've never found that kind of person who I trust to engage with (which is, nevertheless, mostly on me).
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Kory wrote:
18 Mar 2021, 5:18pm
Silent Majority wrote:
18 Mar 2021, 5:13pm
I'm the opposite. I write short stories, think they're at standard and go back to them and learn they needed about five more drafts.
Do you write drunk and edit sober? I've often thought about doing some writing, but I've never been able to think of anything compelling to write about.
How about a story about a musician who can't find the self belief he needs. ;)

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
18 Mar 2021, 4:41pm
Kory wrote:
18 Mar 2021, 4:05pm
Marky Dread wrote:
18 Mar 2021, 3:58pm
Kory wrote:
18 Mar 2021, 3:55pm
Wolter wrote:
17 Mar 2021, 4:32pm

The older I get the wilder what musicians were doing at my age is. Bowie was in Tin Machine.
These kind of observations lead to midlife crises. What a waste.
Oh c'mon Tin Machine wasn't that bad. ;)
I'd give my firstborn to do anything on that level. As it is, I've recorded 10 solo albums since 2001, and two albums and some singles with my hip hop group since 2006, and don't feel like I've really achieved anything.
I just write and play music because I like it. I love playing live even though it can be stressful, but nothing is better than writing a song. You suddenly have something that never existed 24 hours or whatever previously. I guess I just enjoy the creative process, and would do it even if no one heard the songs.
Said Noel Gallagher ever.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
18 Mar 2021, 5:39pm
Kory wrote:
18 Mar 2021, 5:16pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
18 Mar 2021, 5:08pm
Kory wrote:
18 Mar 2021, 4:53pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
18 Mar 2021, 4:48pm

Do you ever go back and revisit older stuff? I ask because I don't think I've ever written anything of real value, but when I've had to go back to stuff to mine for lecture material, I've warmed to it somewhat—i.e., I can find a couple decent ideas or turns of phrase that I think are okay. Time does sand down some of our self-criticism.
Yeah I usually go back to listen to a couple choice albums maybe once a year. There have been a couple times where I say to myself "this isn't so bad, I guess," but more often than not it tends to be more "this is mixed very poorly," or "this track is too long and that transition is stupid." I also wind up seeing it through the lens of whatever I'm working on at the time, too, so that doesn't help. I recognize that heavy self-criticism is integral to improvement, but it does leave me feeling like I'm wasting my time a lot.
It's a document of who you were. That's its value. You're actually lucky in that, as a creative person, you do have those documents as evidence and measures.
Yeah, I do value them in that sense, but as somebody who was so obsessed with music as a kid that I decided I needed to make my own, I'm forever haunted by my inability to create at least one thing that's truly (and I hate this word) special, if that makes sense. It always seems just out of reach, even conceptually. Reminds me of that Calvin & Hobbes comic where Calvin tell Suzie that he imagines being a girl must be like being a bug—they have a dim perception that nature has played a trick on them, but lack the brainpower to comprehend the magnitude of it. I often feel like whatever it is that makes for really good songwriting is beyond me, to the point that I don't even know what I'm missing, in order to fix the situation.
I wish I had good advice for getting past this (I mean, I suffer the same lack of confidence). But it is on you and you need to trust what other people say when they praise you. Finding people you trust and value is vital. As much as anything, I've never found that kind of person who I trust to engage with (which is, nevertheless, mostly on me).
Oh, I'm not looking for any kind of validation or solutions, just making conversation :lol:
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Marky Dread wrote:
18 Mar 2021, 6:08pm
Kory wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:
I'm the opposite. I write short stories, think they're at standard and go back to them and learn they needed about five more drafts.
Do you write drunk and edit sober? I've often thought about doing some writing, but I've never been able to think of anything compelling to write about.
How about a story about a musician who can't find the self belief he needs. ;)
I had a friend once critique a piece of writing I did about myself with "who's gonna care about this?" So I don't think of writing about myself as an option really.

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Kory wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:
Honestly, I barely drink at all these days. And enjoyable drugs don't help me write. Maybe speed would, but who wants to come down from that?

Here's my most recent work, which needs to be expanded, but I think it's got a point which you'd dig, Kory.
https://www.patreon.com/posts/47628810
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Hello,

I'm jumping in late to the conversation but when I look at my creative output (lectures, powerpoints, etc.), it helps to realize everything is a work in progress. No lecture I deliver is ever the same - just as no song you play is ever the same twice. I continually tweak lectures, etc. (just as I proofread this post and amended it).

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Silent Majority wrote:
18 Mar 2021, 10:35pm
Kory wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:
Honestly, I barely drink at all these days. And enjoyable drugs don't help me write. Maybe speed would, but who wants to come down from that?

Here's my most recent work, which needs to be expanded, but I think it's got a point which you'd dig, Kory.
https://www.patreon.com/posts/47628810
Cool, I'll check this out!

Olaf
Unknown Immortal

Post by Olaf »

"Hey, the 90s just called. Mick Jones wants his style back."
Attachments
Screenshot_20210403-110442_Facebook.jpg
Who pfaffed the pfaff? Who got pfaffed tonight?

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Olaf wrote:
03 Apr 2021, 5:18am
Sure, I'll walk around like Mick Jones in the 90s.

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Silent Majority wrote:
03 Apr 2021, 5:35am
Olaf wrote:
03 Apr 2021, 5:18am
Sure, I'll walk around like Mick Jones in the 90s.
Hell yeah, Stussy all day.

oliver
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by oliver »

More a Screaming Target observation than a BAD one, but here's a picture of King Tubby. I don't think I'd ever seen one before because I assumed he was rather a robust fellow

That's his homemade custom KT88 amp behind him. I dread to think of the tinnitus his fans must have.
Putting a little stick about. Putting the frighteners on flash little twerps

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

What a cool photo.

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

oliver wrote:
03 Apr 2021, 7:48pm
More a Screaming Target observation than a BAD one, but here's a picture of King Tubby. I don't think I'd ever seen one before because I assumed he was rather a robust fellow

That's his homemade custom KT88 amp behind him. I dread to think of the tinnitus his fans must have.
Rather than referring to his waistline (which was definitely slim), the nickname ‘Tubby’ stems from his mother’s surname, Tubman.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

oliver wrote:
03 Apr 2021, 7:48pm

I do indeed have terrible tinnitus.