B.A.D. Observations Thread

Mick Jones, Carbon/Silicon, BAD and cetera.
Kory
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 12435
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 1:42pm
Location: In the Discosphere

Re: B.A.D. Observations Thread

Post by Kory »

sonnyburnit wrote:
26 Mar 2020, 10:55pm
NoMoreHugh wrote:
26 Mar 2020, 7:51am
sonnyburnit wrote:
25 Mar 2020, 9:03pm
I really can’t think of any bands that went over 20 years without playing together & sounded as good as they did on that tour.
I think I have got to stop you there ! a great reunion with out a doubt and that video is fantastic but …… to say "as good as they were in there day" ? As much as the reunion was great I cant buy into this as good as they were in their day and I have heard comments that some say they were better. As an avid fan of seeing the band live on every tour multiple times from the very start up to kool aid/the globe album I have to argue this point.
Its so easy to forget so many years later just how brilliant they were
I will however agree we all have better recording devices all these years later and maybe they can deliver cleaner sounds with modern technology and sound systems but this band in there day were second to none including and even the reunion line up
I didn’t write that they sounded as good in 2011 as they did back in the 80’s. What I wrote was how many other bands sounded as good as they did after a 20 year absence. Get it right...
I would add Midnight Oil to this list. Certainly Peter Garrett doesn't have the same bendable spine that he used to, but the live show was a damn live wire.
WWK: I feel confident we haven't heard the last from Dr. Harvey Camel.

Marky Dread
User avatar
Messiah of the Milk Bar
Posts: 47247
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 11:26am

Re: B.A.D. Observations Thread

Post by Marky Dread »

Kory wrote:
26 Mar 2020, 11:29pm
sonnyburnit wrote:
26 Mar 2020, 10:55pm
NoMoreHugh wrote:
26 Mar 2020, 7:51am
sonnyburnit wrote:
25 Mar 2020, 9:03pm
I really can’t think of any bands that went over 20 years without playing together & sounded as good as they did on that tour.
I think I have got to stop you there ! a great reunion with out a doubt and that video is fantastic but …… to say "as good as they were in there day" ? As much as the reunion was great I cant buy into this as good as they were in their day and I have heard comments that some say they were better. As an avid fan of seeing the band live on every tour multiple times from the very start up to kool aid/the globe album I have to argue this point.
Its so easy to forget so many years later just how brilliant they were
I will however agree we all have better recording devices all these years later and maybe they can deliver cleaner sounds with modern technology and sound systems but this band in there day were second to none including and even the reunion line up
I didn’t write that they sounded as good in 2011 as they did back in the 80’s. What I wrote was how many other bands sounded as good as they did after a 20 year absence. Get it right...
I would add Midnight Oil to this list. Certainly Peter Garrett doesn't have the same bendable spine that he used to, but the live show was a damn live wire.
Yes the Oils are still a great band.
Image

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

NoMoreHugh
Junco Partner
Posts: 479
Joined: 17 Dec 2012, 7:24pm
Location: Home is a black leather jacket fitting sweetly to my brain

Re: B.A.D. Observations Thread

Post by NoMoreHugh »

sonnyburnit wrote:
26 Mar 2020, 10:55pm
NoMoreHugh wrote:
26 Mar 2020, 7:51am
sonnyburnit wrote:
25 Mar 2020, 9:03pm
I really can’t think of any bands that went over 20 years without playing together & sounded as good as they did on that tour.
I think I have got to stop you there ! a great reunion with out a doubt and that video is fantastic but …… to say "as good as they were in there day" ? As much as the reunion was great I cant buy into this as good as they were in their day and I have heard comments that some say they were better. As an avid fan of seeing the band live on every tour multiple times from the very start up to kool aid/the globe album I have to argue this point.
Its so easy to forget so many years later just how brilliant they were
I will however agree we all have better recording devices all these years later and maybe they can deliver cleaner sounds with modern technology and sound systems but this band in there day were second to none including and even the reunion line up
I didn’t write that they sounded as good in 2011 as they did back in the 80’s. What I wrote was how many other bands sounded as good as they did after a 20 year absence. Get it right...
Oh god i am so sorry i read that totally wrong the corona virus scare must be affecting my head and my reading. Really sorry what a twat i feel now but at least i got my comment about the video right

Heston
User avatar
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll
Posts: 34171
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 4:07pm
Location: North of Watford Junction

Re: B.A.D. Observations Thread

Post by Heston »

I'm not the biggest fan of this era of the band but I thought the recordings were a lot more punchy than the album versions here...

There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Marky Dread
User avatar
Messiah of the Milk Bar
Posts: 47247
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 11:26am

Re: B.A.D. Observations Thread

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
28 Mar 2020, 3:30pm
I'm not the biggest fan of this era of the band but I thought the recordings were a lot more punchy than the album versions here...

Yeah the Marc Radcliffe sessions were straight out live and not pre-recorded so that gives the performances more edge.
Image

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

Heston
User avatar
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll
Posts: 34171
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 4:07pm
Location: North of Watford Junction

Re: B.A.D. Observations Thread

Post by Heston »

Haven't heard the original UK 12" for ages. Still sounds brilliant, all 8 minutes 40 seconds of it. This cut should have made the album...

There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

TeddyB Not Logged In
User avatar
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer
Posts: 1777
Joined: 06 Feb 2009, 8:42pm

Re: B.A.D. Observations Thread

Post by TeddyB Not Logged In »

Does everything have to be a raga? 😎

Heston
User avatar
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll
Posts: 34171
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 4:07pm
Location: North of Watford Junction

Re: B.A.D. Observations Thread

Post by Heston »

TeddyB Not Logged In wrote:
16 Jul 2020, 5:14pm
Does everything have to be a raga? 😎
I was ready for part 3.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Marky Dread
User avatar
Messiah of the Milk Bar
Posts: 47247
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 11:26am

Re: B.A.D. Observations Thread

Post by Marky Dread »

TeddyB Not Logged In wrote:
16 Jul 2020, 5:14pm
Does everything have to be a raga? 😎
It sure does when it's this great. :approve:
Image

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

NoMoreHugh
Junco Partner
Posts: 479
Joined: 17 Dec 2012, 7:24pm
Location: Home is a black leather jacket fitting sweetly to my brain

Re: B.A.D. Observations Thread

Post by NoMoreHugh »

Heston wrote:
16 Jul 2020, 4:56pm
Haven't heard the original UK 12" for ages. Still sounds brilliant, all 8 minutes 40 seconds of it. This cut should have made the album...

Great version and i agree about should have been on the album.

That bass line at 3mins 02secs doesnt half remind me of sigue sigue sputnik i wonder of that was where Tony James got the idea from

Marky Dread
User avatar
Messiah of the Milk Bar
Posts: 47247
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 11:26am

Re: B.A.D. Observations Thread

Post by Marky Dread »

NoMoreHugh wrote:
17 Jul 2020, 7:42am
Heston wrote:
16 Jul 2020, 4:56pm
Haven't heard the original UK 12" for ages. Still sounds brilliant, all 8 minutes 40 seconds of it. This cut should have made the album...

Great version and i agree about should have been on the album.

That bass line at 3mins 02secs doesnt half remind me of sigue sigue sputnik i wonder of that was where Tony James got the idea from
I've always been convinced that TJ got that simple riff from the first 10 secs of this track. Tony did remaster/remix L.A.M.F. Revisited in the 80s.

Image

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

NoMoreHugh
Junco Partner
Posts: 479
Joined: 17 Dec 2012, 7:24pm
Location: Home is a black leather jacket fitting sweetly to my brain

Re: B.A.D. Observations Thread

Post by NoMoreHugh »

Marky Dread wrote:
17 Jul 2020, 7:54am
NoMoreHugh wrote:
17 Jul 2020, 7:42am
Heston wrote:
16 Jul 2020, 4:56pm
Haven't heard the original UK 12" for ages. Still sounds brilliant, all 8 minutes 40 seconds of it. This cut should have made the album...

Great version and i agree about should have been on the album.

That bass line at 3mins 02secs doesnt half remind me of sigue sigue sputnik i wonder of that was where Tony James got the idea from
I've always been convinced that TJ got that simple riff from the first 10 secs of this track. Tony did remaster/remix L.A.M.F. Revisited in the 80s.

lol thats a definate yes
it doesnt even feel an inspiration but more like a complete lift from the song

TeddyB Not Logged In
User avatar
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer
Posts: 1777
Joined: 06 Feb 2009, 8:42pm

Re: B.A.D. Observations Thread

Post by TeddyB Not Logged In »

It’s like a pretty standard Eddie Cochran riff. Huge influence on the Dolls.

Marky Dread
User avatar
Messiah of the Milk Bar
Posts: 47247
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 11:26am

Re: B.A.D. Observations Thread

Post by Marky Dread »

TeddyB Not Logged In wrote:
17 Jul 2020, 4:49pm
It’s like a pretty standard Eddie Cochran riff. Huge influence on the Dolls.
Yes that makes perfect sense. I never thought to look backwards from the Heartbreakers.
Image

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

Heston
User avatar
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll
Posts: 34171
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 4:07pm
Location: North of Watford Junction

Re: B.A.D. Observations Thread

Post by Heston »

Never heard this before, 1986 interview with Don and Greg. The interviewer is incredibly stupid...

https://fanningsessions.wordpress.com/2 ... ULehKARCwI
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Post Reply