Rob Peter Pay Paul

Mick Jones, Carbon/Silicon, BAD and cetera.
Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Re: Rob Peter Pay Paul

Post by Silent Majority »

Stevenage wrote:
appleseed wrote:One of you folks who have Mick's ear, please thank him for me for writing this song. I can't overstate how impressed I am by it. I feel like it was written for me. Mick was already my favorite musician, but when I heard this on Jimmy Fallon my jaw dropped open. It gave me goosebumps and misty eyes. I was just so overwhelmed by it--from the lyrics to the riffs to Mick's solo--and thankful and happy for BAD to be back with a great song that captures our times so perfectly. I'm not surprised because this is the kind of music that Mick's always written, and that's made The Clash and BAD such a fundamental part of my life. Still, I wasn't expecting an absolute lightning bolt like this song. In the few days since I've heard it I've listened to it over and over. It's a new favorite. Job well done, guys.
I would say the melody is not too different to "Other 99" and the lyrics are, even more so, "Free/Kickin' In"

A truly wonderful song, ticks all the right boxes, a modern classic?
Well, I like it a lot.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

BR16ADE_R055E
Unknown Immortal

Post by BR16ADE_R055E »

I've been singing the song lately as, "If you're gonna rob PETA, you better PayPal." :shifty:

NigelJacobs
Corner Soul

Post by NigelJacobs »

oliver wrote:
11 Aug 2011, 9:49am
appleseed wrote:Can any of you lend me a hand with a couple of lyrics I can't quite make out?

Where is the justice? What happened to the law?
?
Where us the justice? What happened to the law?
______ question, who's he working for?

Not sure on that first bit :-)
Ask yourself the...?

laxman
Unknown Immortal

Post by laxman »

BR16ADE_R055E wrote:
19 Aug 2011, 3:56pm
I've been singing the song lately as, "If you're gonna rob PETA, you better PayPal." :shifty:
Every time I listen to it I do wonder whether the name Paypal came from that expression. I haven't googled it because I don't want to find out that it didn't, that would seem a shame.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

laxman wrote:
13 Aug 2022, 6:16am
BR16ADE_R055E wrote:
Every time I listen to it I do wonder whether the name Paypal came from that expression. I haven't googled it because I don't want to find out that it didn't, that would seem a shame.
Damn, that's a neat idea! I'm not sure it's right, tho, if only because the company wouldn't want to have some kind of unconscious connection to idea of robbing someone.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

laxman
Unknown Immortal

Post by laxman »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
13 Aug 2022, 7:43am
laxman wrote:
13 Aug 2022, 6:16am
BR16ADE_R055E wrote:
Damn, that's a neat idea! I'm not sure it's right, tho, if only because the company wouldn't want to have some kind of unconscious connection to idea of robbing someone.
Agreed. You won't though now be able to get the idea out of your head when you listen to the song!