Finally done it

Music/video/real estate bartering area.
weller259
User avatar
Dirty Punk
Posts: 141
Joined: 21 Oct 2008, 7:59pm
Location: Nowhere Land

Re: Finally done it

Post by weller259 » 15 May 2019, 1:45am

Flex wrote:
18 Apr 2019, 4:26pm
weller259 wrote:
18 Apr 2019, 4:19pm
got this one
holy shit, welcome back man. been a while, no?

(And nice pickup)
Thank you sir for the welcome back, yes been quite a while, fighting health issues but still breathing and still listening to music, lol. And yes it was a 45 I received when I bought the first album at my local record store on Long Island back in the day. I wish I could have gotten the cost of living EP but the free 45 was kinda nice. It still sounds so good too.

Its good to be back and seeing this place is still going. Thank you for noticing. :)

magnificence
Corner Soul
Posts: 2
Joined: 04 Apr 2019, 8:09pm

Re: Finally done it

Post by magnificence » 09 Nov 2019, 12:56pm

Marky Dread wrote:
18 Apr 2019, 5:07pm
weller259 wrote:
18 Apr 2019, 4:19pm
got this one
Given away free in the Candian import of the first album. The blue (purple if you're Dr. Medulla) version of the US track list.
I have a green US version that included this 7" as well

Marky Dread
User avatar
Messiah of the Milk Bar
Posts: 43252
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 11:26am

Re: Finally done it

Post by Marky Dread » 09 Nov 2019, 1:57pm

magnificence wrote:
09 Nov 2019, 12:56pm
Marky Dread wrote:
18 Apr 2019, 5:07pm
weller259 wrote:
18 Apr 2019, 4:19pm
got this one
Given away free in the Candian import of the first album. The blue (purple if you're Dr. Medulla) version of the US track list.
I have a green US version that included this 7" as well
Yep the Canadian one was first. There are loads of different ones. I had a yellow vinyl bootleg some time back.
Image

101Walterton
User avatar
The Best
Posts: 19025
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 5:36pm
Location: Volcanic Rock In The Pacific

Re: Finally done it

Post by 101Walterton » 09 Nov 2019, 4:47pm

magnificence wrote:
09 Nov 2019, 12:56pm
Marky Dread wrote:
18 Apr 2019, 5:07pm
weller259 wrote:
18 Apr 2019, 4:19pm
got this one
Given away free in the Candian import of the first album. The blue (purple if you're Dr. Medulla) version of the US track list.
I have a green US version that included this 7" as well
Yep I have the 7” that came with the US version with the different shade of green cover.

Marky Dread
User avatar
Messiah of the Milk Bar
Posts: 43252
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 11:26am

Re: Finally done it

Post by Marky Dread » 09 Nov 2019, 5:07pm

101Walterton wrote:
09 Nov 2019, 4:47pm
magnificence wrote:
09 Nov 2019, 12:56pm
Marky Dread wrote:
18 Apr 2019, 5:07pm
weller259 wrote:
18 Apr 2019, 4:19pm
got this one
Given away free in the Candian import of the first album. The blue (purple if you're Dr. Medulla) version of the US track list.
I have a green US version that included this 7" as well
Yep I have the 7” that came with the US version with the different shade of green cover.
The lighter green one ? I think that one and the Canadian were probably released at the same time. I had a load of versions at one point. But it was getting silly buying the same thing.
Image

101Walterton
User avatar
The Best
Posts: 19025
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 5:36pm
Location: Volcanic Rock In The Pacific

Re: Finally done it

Post by 101Walterton » 09 Nov 2019, 5:15pm

Marky Dread wrote:
09 Nov 2019, 5:07pm
101Walterton wrote:
09 Nov 2019, 4:47pm
magnificence wrote:
09 Nov 2019, 12:56pm
Marky Dread wrote:
18 Apr 2019, 5:07pm
weller259 wrote:
18 Apr 2019, 4:19pm
got this one
Given away free in the Candian import of the first album. The blue (purple if you're Dr. Medulla) version of the US track list.
I have a green US version that included this 7" as well
Yep I have the 7” that came with the US version with the different shade of green cover.
The lighter green one ? I think that one and the Canadian were probably released at the same time. I had a load of versions at one point. But it was getting silly buying the same thing.
Yep and I think the lettering was st the bottom instead of the top or vice versa?

Marky Dread
User avatar
Messiah of the Milk Bar
Posts: 43252
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 11:26am

Re: Finally done it

Post by Marky Dread » 09 Nov 2019, 5:19pm

101Walterton wrote:
09 Nov 2019, 5:15pm
Marky Dread wrote:
09 Nov 2019, 5:07pm
101Walterton wrote:
09 Nov 2019, 4:47pm
magnificence wrote:
09 Nov 2019, 12:56pm
Marky Dread wrote:
18 Apr 2019, 5:07pm


Given away free in the Candian import of the first album. The blue (purple if you're Dr. Medulla) version of the US track list.
I have a green US version that included this 7" as well
Yep I have the 7” that came with the US version with the different shade of green cover.
The lighter green one ? I think that one and the Canadian were probably released at the same time. I had a load of versions at one point. But it was getting silly buying the same thing.
Yep and I think the lettering was st the bottom instead of the top or vice versa?
The original UK pressing had the Clash logo in orange at the bottom right of the sleeve. The US/Canadian versions had the logo top right. The photocopied pic of the band placed lower down on the US/Canadian imports.
Image

101Walterton
User avatar
The Best
Posts: 19025
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 5:36pm
Location: Volcanic Rock In The Pacific

Re: Finally done it

Post by 101Walterton » 09 Nov 2019, 5:41pm

Marky Dread wrote:
09 Nov 2019, 5:19pm
101Walterton wrote:
09 Nov 2019, 5:15pm
Marky Dread wrote:
09 Nov 2019, 5:07pm
101Walterton wrote:
09 Nov 2019, 4:47pm
magnificence wrote:
09 Nov 2019, 12:56pm


I have a green US version that included this 7" as well
Yep I have the 7” that came with the US version with the different shade of green cover.
The lighter green one ? I think that one and the Canadian were probably released at the same time. I had a load of versions at one point. But it was getting silly buying the same thing.
Yep and I think the lettering was st the bottom instead of the top or vice versa?
The original UK pressing had the Clash logo in orange at the bottom right of the sleeve. The US/Canadian versions had the logo top right. The photocopied pic of the band placed lower down on the US/Canadian imports.
Yep
Attachments
233B7809-CD49-482C-8ED8-3F88C6FC6842.jpeg

deny
Long Time Jerk
Posts: 585
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:20pm

Re: Finally done it

Post by deny » 10 Nov 2019, 4:58am

My understanding was that the logo was moved from the bottom of the cover to the top of the cover so that it was more visible in racks of records. ie to try & sell more.
Joining the Street Parade

101Walterton
User avatar
The Best
Posts: 19025
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 5:36pm
Location: Volcanic Rock In The Pacific

Re: Finally done it

Post by 101Walterton » 10 Nov 2019, 5:19am

deny wrote:
10 Nov 2019, 4:58am
My understanding was that the logo was moved from the bottom of the cover to the top of the cover so that it was more visible in racks of records. ie to try & sell more.
Would make sense. But why put it on the bottom to start with.

Marky Dread
User avatar
Messiah of the Milk Bar
Posts: 43252
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 11:26am

Re: Finally done it

Post by Marky Dread » 10 Nov 2019, 5:58am

101Walterton wrote:
10 Nov 2019, 5:19am
deny wrote:
10 Nov 2019, 4:58am
My understanding was that the logo was moved from the bottom of the cover to the top of the cover so that it was more visible in racks of records. ie to try & sell more.
Would make sense. But why put it on the bottom to start with.
Simple it looks better there. That logo being a bold orange stands out better with more black behind it. The logo at the top loses its impact.

I don't see how having the logo at the top makes it any more likely to sell. In record shops they have header boards with either the firsr letter of the band's name or the bands name. The reason that the photocopied image of the band is lower down on the import is to so more of the green background can allow the logo to appear bolder. Orange doesn't stand out so good on a white background.
Image

JohnS
User avatar
Long Time Jerk
Posts: 600
Joined: 27 Jun 2008, 6:18pm

Re: Finally done it

Post by JohnS » 10 Nov 2019, 6:25am

101Walterton wrote:
09 Nov 2019, 5:41pm
Marky Dread wrote:
09 Nov 2019, 5:19pm
101Walterton wrote:
09 Nov 2019, 5:15pm
Marky Dread wrote:
09 Nov 2019, 5:07pm
101Walterton wrote:
09 Nov 2019, 4:47pm


Yep I have the 7” that came with the US version with the different shade of green cover.
The lighter green one ? I think that one and the Canadian were probably released at the same time. I had a load of versions at one point. But it was getting silly buying the same thing.
Yep and I think the lettering was st the bottom instead of the top or vice versa?
The original UK pressing had the Clash logo in orange at the bottom right of the sleeve. The US/Canadian versions had the logo top right. The photocopied pic of the band placed lower down on the US/Canadian imports.
Yep
...and the original Japanese LP had the orange logo/ type on rear printed in pink. Even more 'Clash-esque'

https://www.discogs.com/The-Clash-The-C ... se/6975567

Then 2 yrs later they repackaged it like the US version with bonus 7", but with the 'Pearl Harbour' wrapper:

https://www.discogs.com/The-Clash-Pearl ... se/1653446

(Which later inspired the packaging of a 2LP bootleg of the NY Palladium 79 show:
https://www.discogs.com/The-Clash-Pearl ... se/4945845 )

Phew. Thank goodness for Discogs.
Ignore Alien Hors d'oeuvres

Marky Dread
User avatar
Messiah of the Milk Bar
Posts: 43252
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 11:26am

Re: Finally done it

Post by Marky Dread » 10 Nov 2019, 6:46am

JohnS wrote:
10 Nov 2019, 6:25am
101Walterton wrote:
09 Nov 2019, 5:41pm
Marky Dread wrote:
09 Nov 2019, 5:19pm
101Walterton wrote:
09 Nov 2019, 5:15pm
Marky Dread wrote:
09 Nov 2019, 5:07pm


The lighter green one ? I think that one and the Canadian were probably released at the same time. I had a load of versions at one point. But it was getting silly buying the same thing.
Yep and I think the lettering was st the bottom instead of the top or vice versa?
The original UK pressing had the Clash logo in orange at the bottom right of the sleeve. The US/Canadian versions had the logo top right. The photocopied pic of the band placed lower down on the US/Canadian imports.
Yep
...and the original Japanese LP had the orange logo/ type on rear printed in pink. Even more 'Clash-esque'

https://www.discogs.com/The-Clash-The-C ... se/6975567

Then 2 yrs later they repackaged it like the US version with bonus 7", but with the 'Pearl Harbour' wrapper:

https://www.discogs.com/The-Clash-Pearl ... se/1653446

(Which later inspired the packaging of a 2LP bootleg of the NY Palladium 79 show:
https://www.discogs.com/The-Clash-Pearl ... se/4945845 )

Phew. Thank goodness for Discogs.
Still got The Pearl Harbour boot.
Image

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests