sensibletwo

Music/video/real estate bartering area.
Purple Hayes
Unknown Immortal

Re: sensibletwo

Post by Purple Hayes »

Held the Gents door open for him at an Ultravox gig at the Marqee in 78, he said "thank you young man", seemed a polite bloke, but if he had invited me inside to share his speed I would have been a fan for life.. :mrgreen:
'People like Coldplay and people voted for the Nazi's, you can't trust people Jeremy':- Super Hans

'Hayes ... is one of the most godforsaken places I have ever struck. The population seems to be entirely made up of clerks who frequent tin-roofed chapels on Sundays and for the rest bolt themselves within doors.' - George Orwell

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Purple Hayes wrote:Held the Gents door open for him at an Ultravox gig at the Marqee in 78, he said "thank you young man", seemed a polite bloke, but if he had invited me inside to share his speed I would have been a fan for life.. :mrgreen:
Was at that gig well maybe not the same gig as I think they played something like 8 nights in a row and then saw 'em in August at the Reading rock festival. They (Ultravox) were good too with John Foxx "Saturday Night in the City of the Dead" is a great track, didn't see Captain at the Marquee gig but I did see Mick Jones.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Purple Hayes
Unknown Immortal

Post by Purple Hayes »

Marky Dread wrote:
Purple Hayes wrote:Held the Gents door open for him at an Ultravox gig at the Marqee in 78, he said "thank you young man", seemed a polite bloke, but if he had invited me inside to share his speed I would have been a fan for life.. :mrgreen:
Was at that gig well maybe not the same gig as I think they played something like 8 nights in a row and then saw 'em in August at the Reading rock festival. They (Ultravox) were good too with John Foxx "Saturday Night in the City of the Dead" is a great track, didn't see Captain at the Marquee gig but I did see Mick Jones.
Fuck me, small world :mrgreen: They'd just released Systems of Romance and yeah you're right they did do a string of dates at the Marquee, think I went to the 2nd one but not sure as it was 31 years ago after all. Chris Cross used to be a lodger at my mates Mothers so we were on the guestlist, went backstage after, remember "Billy Idol sucks cocks" was sprayed on the bog door..
'People like Coldplay and people voted for the Nazi's, you can't trust people Jeremy':- Super Hans

'Hayes ... is one of the most godforsaken places I have ever struck. The population seems to be entirely made up of clerks who frequent tin-roofed chapels on Sundays and for the rest bolt themselves within doors.' - George Orwell

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Purple Hayes wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Fuck me, small world :mrgreen: They'd just released Systems of Romance and yeah you're right they did do a string of dates at the Marquee, think I went to the 2nd one but not sure as it was 31 years ago after all. Chris Cross used to be a lodger at my mates Mothers so we were on the guestlist, went backstage after, remember "Billy Idol sucks cocks" was sprayed on the bog door..
Good memory mate nice to be on the guestlist. I was fifteen at the time only about my sixth ever gig after The Doomed, Tubeway Army, The Lurkers, 999, and Hawkwind.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Purple Hayes
Unknown Immortal

Post by Purple Hayes »

Marky Dread wrote:
Purple Hayes wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Good memory mate nice to be on the guestlist. I was fifteen at the time only about my sixth ever gig after The Doomed, Tubeway Army, The Lurkers, 999, and Hawkwind.
Still trying to work out the date, album was released Dec 78, so it was either then or very early 79, had a quick look at an Ultravox site but no luck, Big news is they're reforming :mrgreen: ........But it's the Midge Ure version :( .....Chris is playing though :mrgreen:

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Purple Hayes wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Purple Hayes wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Still trying to work out the date, album was released Dec 78, so it was either then or very early 79, had a quick look at an Ultravox site but no luck, Big news is they're reforming :mrgreen: ........But it's the Midge Ure version :( .....Chris is playing though :mrgreen:
Try here
http://www.metamatic.com/zLivedocs01/1978ultravox.html

11th Feb thru to 23rd August '78

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Purple Hayes
Unknown Immortal

Post by Purple Hayes »

Must have been one of the August dates, Systems of Romance actually came out in September but they had already released slow motion as a single (sleeve cover had the same theme as SOR) which I'd got on 12" see-through vinyl... :mrgreen:

Gig stuck in my mind as the only other time I've been on a guest list was for Blancmange a couple of times, my mate was going out with and later married Steve Luscombes sister, saw them supporting Depeche Mode in Oxford around '83 and headlining at The Hammersmith Palais later in the year :mrgreen:

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Purple Hayes wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Wait a minute...Christopher Cross was a player on the UK punk scene? :shifty:
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

esmark
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by esmark »

Purple Hayes wrote:Big news is they're reforming :mrgreen: ........But it's the Midge Ure version :( .....Chris is playing though :mrgreen:
Bugger... would've loved to see the original line-up playing together again. Ultravox! with John Foxx was great. Love their stuff. The later line up with Midge Ure is not-so-good....

esmark
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by esmark »

Wolter wrote:Wait a minute...Christopher Cross was a player on the UK punk scene? :shifty:
:mrgreen: he he... Christopher Allen (aka Chriss Cross). I thought they where the same after Ultravox split.... and a saw a Christopher Cross album in the shop.... no didn't buy it.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Wolter wrote:
Purple Hayes wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Wait a minute...Christopher Cross was a player on the UK punk scene? :shifty:
Pre punk really Wolt, early Ultravox was like a sort of punk dystopia. Big mention also to Doctors of Madness who Chris sometimes played with.

Hey wait a minute your on about that "Geppert" geezer "Arthurs Theme" bollocks nah you are welcome to keep him! :shifty: :shifty: :naughty: :mad: :rolleyes:

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Purple Hayes
Unknown Immortal

Post by Purple Hayes »

Thought I'd listen to Systems of Romance the other day for the first time in yonks, fuck me was it well ahead of it's time or what, if it had been released a couple of years later it would have been huge. Pisses all over Numan, Visage, OMD and early Depeche. Nearly stands comparision with Low and I bleedin' love that album. Produced by the late great Conny Plank in Germany so there is a bit of a Kraftwerk feel to it as well... :mrgreen:

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Purple Hayes wrote:Thought I'd listen to Systems of Romance the other day for the first time in yonks, fuck me was it well ahead of it's time or what, if it had been released a couple of years later it would have been huge. Pisses all over Numan, Visage, OMD and early Depeche. Nearly stands comparision with Low and I bleedin' love that album. Produced by the late great Conny Plank in Germany so there is a bit of a Kraftwerk feel to it as well... :mrgreen:
Yep I agree ahead of it's time and underated.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia