Marky Dread wrote:
16 Sep 2023, 10:56am
XRCF wrote:
16 Sep 2023, 10:39am
Marky Dread wrote:
16 Sep 2023, 10:35am
XRCF wrote:
16 Sep 2023, 9:47am

Sorry marky but that is where you are wrong...
super 8 footage can look amazing if you only scan it in at 4k

These are 2 screenshots one from the dvd we have and one from a higher quality scan i know don has but hasn't released (taken from new years day 77)
vlcsnap-2023-09-16-14h44m34s095.png vlcsnap-2023-09-16-14h44m30s977.png
I guess that is a matter of opinion really.
But comparing those two screen shots only confirms that the upscaled image is clearer than the washed out transfer from an old tape to DVD. Not Don's original source material. Super 8 will never look "amazing" but can be upscaled to look decent. Plenty of clips of the Punk Rock Movie in the Sex Pistols "The Filth & The Fury" movie that look decent but again I wouldn't call it amazing. So no I'm not wrong really.
its not a case of it being "upscaled", film doesnt have a resolution like digital video, its uncompressed. However tests have shown that super8 footage converts to 4k perfectly without losing any of the details of the original reel. A 4k scan would be a perfect representation on what is on the original super8 film reel, so what im saying it that screenshot isnt upscaled its just a better more accurate transfer.
Okay gotcha. What I'm trying to say is super 8 is a very grainy image in the first place. And it depends also as to which film stock Don used to it's original quality. Julien Temple had this same problem with his old black and white films taken of The Clash and Sex Pistols.

Is the upload that Doc Medulla gave you in widescreen? Is it a copy of the officially released DVD?
its 480p interlaced 4x3. Its better than any upload i had seen before it.

Here, i uploaded it to archive.org at the time
So is that better than the official dvd?

I have a rip from my official dvd which reads as follows.

VIDEO
Frame width 1280
Frame height 720
Data rate 5976kbps
Total bitrate 6104kbps
Frame rate 30 frames/second

AUDIO
Bit rate 128kbps
Channels 2 (stereo)
Audio sample rate 44 kHz

Is that any good?

XRCF
Junco Partner

Re: The Punk Rock Movie HQ?

Post by XRCF »

Marky Dread wrote:
16 Sep 2023, 12:10pm
XRCF wrote:
16 Sep 2023, 11:32am
Marky Dread wrote:
16 Sep 2023, 10:56am
XRCF wrote:
16 Sep 2023, 10:39am
Marky Dread wrote:
16 Sep 2023, 10:35am

I guess that is a matter of opinion really.
But comparing those two screen shots only confirms that the upscaled image is clearer than the washed out transfer from an old tape to DVD. Not Don's original source material. Super 8 will never look "amazing" but can be upscaled to look decent. Plenty of clips of the Punk Rock Movie in the Sex Pistols "The Filth & The Fury" movie that look decent but again I wouldn't call it amazing. So no I'm not wrong really.
its not a case of it being "upscaled", film doesnt have a resolution like digital video, its uncompressed. However tests have shown that super8 footage converts to 4k perfectly without losing any of the details of the original reel. A 4k scan would be a perfect representation on what is on the original super8 film reel, so what im saying it that screenshot isnt upscaled its just a better more accurate transfer.
Okay gotcha. What I'm trying to say is super 8 is a very grainy image in the first place. And it depends also as to which film stock Don used to it's original quality. Julien Temple had this same problem with his old black and white films taken of The Clash and Sex Pistols.

Is the upload that Doc Medulla gave you in widescreen? Is it a copy of the officially released DVD?
its 480p interlaced 4x3. Its better than any upload i had seen before it.

Here, i uploaded it to archive.org at the time
So is that better than the official dvd?

I have a rip from my official dvd which reads as follows.

VIDEO
Frame width 1280
Frame height 720
Data rate 5976kbps
Total bitrate 6104kbps
Frame rate 30 frames/second

AUDIO
Bit rate 128kbps
Channels 2 (stereo)
Audio sample rate 44 kHz

Is that any good?
I'd have too see a clip to compare