m

Post by TeddyB Not Logged In »

Never mind.

Olaf
Unknown Immortal

Re: m

Post by Olaf »

No thread about Peter Lorre then.
Who pfaffed the pfaff? Who got pfaffed tonight?

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

m.jpg
m.jpg (3.6 KiB) Viewed 6204 times
By the way, what's your favourite Bond song folks?

"View To A Kill" was pretty edgy, but I suppose I'll have to plump for "Live and Let Die."
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Howard Beale
Bang Ice Geezer

Post by Howard Beale »

I was hoping it'd be another "Free CD Giveaway" thread.

:disshame:

Heston

Post by Heston »

Howard Beale wrote:I was hoping it'd be another "Free CD Giveaway" thread.

:disshame:
Pop Musik is one my favourite pop songs of all time, probably the second or third single I bought after New York Groove and Boys Keep Swinging.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Olaf
Unknown Immortal

Post by Olaf »

Heston wrote:
m.jpg

"View To A Kill" was pretty edgy, but I suppose I'll have to plump for "Live and Let Die."
Those would probably be my choices, too.

So who's your favourite Bond girl? I used to have a bit of a crush on Jane Seymour.

Heston

Post by Heston »

Olaf wrote:
Heston wrote:
The attachment m.jpg is no longer available

So who's your favourite Bond girl? I used to have a bit of a crush on Jane Seymour.
caroline_munro3.jpg
caroline_munro3.jpg (40.38 KiB) Viewed 6179 times

Purple Hayes
Unknown Immortal

Post by Purple Hayes »

Olaf wrote:
Heston wrote:
m.jpg

Madeline Smith.... :mrgreen:

'People like Coldplay and people voted for the Nazi's, you can't trust people Jeremy':- Super Hans

'Hayes ... is one of the most godforsaken places I have ever struck. The population seems to be entirely made up of clerks who frequent tin-roofed chapels on Sundays and for the rest bolt themselves within doors.' - George Orwell

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Heston wrote:
m.jpg

Theme tune included, there's no element of Goldfinger that doesn't plump one over every other entry in the series.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Silent Majority wrote:
Heston wrote:
m.jpg

Theme tune included, there's no element of Goldfinger that doesn't plump one over every other entry in the series.
Yeah, "Live and Let Die" is pretty damn cool, but "Goldfinger" is the one I think of when I think of Bond themes. Let me also take this opportunity to say again that the movies beat the fuck out of the novels in every way possible. I've read maybe the first half dozen of the novels, and they are incredibly awful. It's amazing that they sold well enough to generate interest in Hollywood to adapt them.
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Olaf
Unknown Immortal

Post by Olaf »

Germans make great villains apparently.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Olaf wrote:Germans make great villains apparently.
Hitler's one redeeming feature—he left behind a reliable go-to villain for some sixty years now.

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:
Heston wrote:
m.jpg

Yeah, "Live and Let Die" is pretty damn cool, but "Goldfinger" is the one I think of when I think of Bond themes. Let me also take this opportunity to say again that the movies beat the fuck out of the novels in every way possible. I've read maybe the first half dozen of the novels, and they are incredibly awful. It's amazing that they sold well enough to generate interest in Hollywood to adapt them.
I don't know. I think the novels have got some redeeming features if you meet them on their own racially patronising and snobbish terms. The films are certainly better.

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Silent Majority wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:
Heston wrote:
m.jpg

I don't know. I think the novels have got some redeeming features if you meet them on their own racially patronising and snobbish terms. The films are certainly better.
I can accept them in the context of the time when they were written, but the writing and plotting is just plain dull. In Moonraker, for example, the set-up goes on and on and on about how Bond is assigned to find out how Drax is cheating at bridge. Only Bond is skilled enough at bridge to defeat Drax. Over and over and over. And then, ridiculously casually, it's revealed that Drax cheats by using a highly reflective cigarette case to see others' cards. All set-up and no pay-off. And that's how all the Bond novels that I've read have been—ridiculous but compelling spy premises with awful follow through.

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Dr. Medulla wrote:I can accept them in the context of the time when they were written, but the writing and plotting is just plain dull. In Moonraker, for example, the set-up goes on and on and on about how Bond is assigned to find out how Drax is cheating at bridge. Only Bond is skilled enough at bridge to defeat Drax. Over and over and over. And then, ridiculously casually, it's revealed that Drax cheats by using a highly reflective cigarette case to see others' cards. All set-up and no pay-off. And that's how all the Bond novels that I've read have been—ridiculous but compelling spy premises with awful follow through.
I tend to think of them as like the blues, or Wodehouse. Everything sounds the same, but the details change and you're getting under the skin of a character (very different from the action Bond of the films who was essentially made by Connery) who's obsessed with tiny details and very, very occasionally shoots people on his travelogue adventures. It's less about that Drax cheats at bridge, but about how the villain's described.

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/