Sold: Out Of Conrol- The Last Day's...

Music/video/real estate bartering area.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: Sold: Out Of Conrol- The Last Day's...

Post by Dr. Medulla »

I'm nearing the end, having taken breaks to do other non-Vince stuff. Much of it rings true—Joe's bipolar behaviour, Bernie's ham-fisted manipulation, Paul's withdrawal—but his reactions reek of the benefit of hindsight, the opportunity to reflect. Except he doesn't present it as such. One example that stands out is having Joe and Bernie talk about political correctness. Now, it's a term that's existed since the late 60s, mainly in New Left circles, but he uses it more along the lines of the 90s definition. So it's older Vince inserting himself into the mind of younger Vince. He also has an annoying tendency to switch from past to present tense (while clearly staying in the past), at times in the same paragraph, which is further suggestive of the hindsight thing.

It's not quite as much of a trainwreck as I expected, but in being agenda-driven and full of half-truths, he's earned his stripes to be part of the Clash story.
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Dr. Medulla wrote:I'm nearing the end, having taken breaks to do other non-Vince stuff. Much of it rings true—Joe's bipolar behaviour, Bernie's ham-fisted manipulation, Paul's withdrawal—but his reactions reek of the benefit of hindsight, the opportunity to reflect. Except he doesn't present it as such. One example that stands out is having Joe and Bernie talk about political correctness. Now, it's a term that's existed since the late 60s, mainly in New Left circles, but he uses it more along the lines of the 90s definition. So it's older Vince inserting himself into the mind of younger Vince. He also has an annoying tendency to switch from past to present tense (while clearly staying in the past), at times in the same paragraph, which is further suggestive of the hindsight thing.

It's not quite as much of a trainwreck as I expected, but in being agenda-driven and full of half-truths, he's earned his stripes to be part of the Clash story.
His lager misanthropy makes it more of a slog than it should be. He's a man without a sense of humour and that's very, very important in getting over shitty situations. My favourite part is Bernie's evaluation of Mick Jones, a sly, evil trickster.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Silent Majority wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:I'm nearing the end, having taken breaks to do other non-Vince stuff. Much of it rings true—Joe's bipolar behaviour, Bernie's ham-fisted manipulation, Paul's withdrawal—but his reactions reek of the benefit of hindsight, the opportunity to reflect. Except he doesn't present it as such. One example that stands out is having Joe and Bernie talk about political correctness. Now, it's a term that's existed since the late 60s, mainly in New Left circles, but he uses it more along the lines of the 90s definition. So it's older Vince inserting himself into the mind of younger Vince. He also has an annoying tendency to switch from past to present tense (while clearly staying in the past), at times in the same paragraph, which is further suggestive of the hindsight thing.

His lager misanthropy makes it more of a slog than it should be. He's a man without a sense of humour and that's very, very important in getting over shitty situations. My favourite part is Bernie's evaluation of Mick Jones, a sly, evil trickster.
Just finished up and agree with you. And now we finally know who wrecked the band—it was Pete all along! God how I want Bernie to release a memoir.

For a memoir, tho, he shows a an amazing capacity to not grow. He's a miserable asshole at the start and finishes the same way. Had a lot of sex and emerged with a low opinion of women. Says he doesn't care about money but sure bitches about not getting paid. Probably the most honest part is when Bernie or Kosmo or Joe are engaged in one of their ego-beating sessions and asking the new guys what they want in life. And Vince just wants to get laid. Can't help but think that that'd be the answer he'd still give.

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Dr. Medulla wrote:For a memoir, tho, he shows a an amazing capacity to not grow. He's a miserable asshole at the start and finishes the same way. Had a lot of sex and emerged with a low opinion of women. Says he doesn't care about money but sure bitches about not getting paid. Probably the most honest part is when Bernie or Kosmo or Joe are engaged in one of their ego-beating sessions and asking the new guys what they want in life. And Vince just wants to get laid. Can't help but think that that'd be the answer he'd still give.
It's a shame, because he is about 5/8ths smart and there's enough shittiness that happened to him to make me feel sorry for him. But the man is the exact opposite of a survivor. I think he must have coloured his past self with his current baggage, because no matter how much self-loathing Strummer & Co. were feeling at the time, why would you want to spend time in a room with the man described in the pages of the book? As wild, young, and tall as he may have been.

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Silent Majority wrote: I think he must have coloured his past self with his current baggage, because no matter how much self-loathing Strummer & Co. were feeling at the time, why would you want to spend time in a room with the man described in the pages of the book? As wild, young, and tall as he may have been.
Possibly Bernie believing a miserable Rotten-like figure was necessary for a back to basics approach, plus all the tension it created would make him (Bernie) more necessary. Rebuild the Clash as the Pistols. But was Vince the Prick so obvious right from that start, at that audition? But, yeah, when he's confronted by the fact that he has no friends in the band, it elicited no sympathy from me—who would be friends with such an asshole?

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Silent Majority wrote: I think he must have coloured his past self with his current baggage, because no matter how much self-loathing Strummer & Co. were feeling at the time, why would you want to spend time in a room with the man described in the pages of the book? As wild, young, and tall as he may have been.
Possibly Bernie believing a miserable Rotten-like figure was necessary for a back to basics approach, plus all the tension it created would make him (Bernie) more necessary. Rebuild the Clash as the Pistols. But was Vince the Prick so obvious right from that start, at that audition?
Probably not, he seemed pretty starry eyed about the Clash at that point, even if he was too conservative to find anything decent in Sandinista! (I wonder how much of his bitter talking points came from seeing a similarly disaffected CK spout off about that album around the time he was writing?). But, for a band that was quick to drop someone like Mick Jones and Topper Headon, there was no reason to keep around a moody drunk who wouldn't mix with anyone.

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Silent Majority wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Possibly Bernie believing a miserable Rotten-like figure was necessary for a back to basics approach, plus all the tension it created would make him (Bernie) more necessary. Rebuild the Clash as the Pistols. But was Vince the Prick so obvious right from that start, at that audition?
Probably not, he seemed pretty starry eyed about the Clash at that point, even if he was too conservative to find anything decent in Sandinista! (I wonder how much of his bitter talking points came from seeing a similarly disaffected CK spout off about that album around the time he was writing?). But, for a band that was quick to drop someone like Mick Jones and Topper Headon, there was no reason to keep around a moody drunk who wouldn't mix with anyone.
But Mick was EVIL, a trickster! An English Loki. Seriously, that's just it—Mick and Topper were sacked because being in the Clash was apparently serious business, but it's cool to keep this lemon sucker whom nobody really likes?

This is lost in one of the board meltdowns, but CK loved Vince's book, didn't he? Confirmed so much of his contempt for the band.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Dr. Medulla wrote:This is lost in one of the board meltdowns, but CK loved Vince's book, didn't he? Confirmed so much of his contempt for the band.
As I recall, he's the one who brought Vince on the board, no? I think they were pretty tight for a while, then had some kinda falling out. Which I'm sure is shocking.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Dr. Medulla wrote:But Mick was EVIL, a trickster! An English Loki. Seriously, that's just it—Mick and Topper were sacked because being in the Clash was apparently serious business, but it's cool to keep this lemon sucker whom nobody really likes?
I'm picturing a 1986 Mick Jones with goat's feet, a panpipe, and a red baseball cap, hopping lithely from rock to rock while Bernie Rhodes weeps prostrate on the floor, with his head in his hands begging to be left alone.
This is lost in one of the board meltdowns, but CK loved Vince's book, didn't he? Confirmed so much of his contempt for the band.
Yeah. I do feel there must have been some "Man, don't you hate the Clash?!" IMing and telephone calls that fed into both parties' work.

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Silent Majority wrote:I'm picturing a 1986 Mick Jones with goat's feet, a panpipe, and a red baseball cap, hopping lithely from rock to rock while Bernie Rhodes weeps prostrate on the floor, with his head in his hands begging to be left alone.
Is there anyone here with artistic ability who can draw or paint this? It could seriously be one of the great moments for this board.

(1986 Mick should be wearing white jeans, of course.)

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:I'm picturing a 1986 Mick Jones with goat's feet, a panpipe, and a red baseball cap, hopping lithely from rock to rock while Bernie Rhodes weeps prostrate on the floor, with his head in his hands begging to be left alone.
Is there anyone here with artistic ability who can draw or paint this? It could seriously be one of the great moments for this board.

If my dance card wasn't pretty solidly booked, I'd draw that right now.

We could have a contest where everyone sends in their best version.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Wolter wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

If my dance card wasn't pretty solidly booked, I'd draw that right now.

We could have a contest where everyone sends in their best version.
You lose points if Mick looks like a raccoon. :naughty: ;)

I might have to try one of my drunken thalidomide Photoshop collages.

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Dr. Medulla wrote:You lose points if Mick looks like a raccoon. :naughty: ;)
Does he?

:shifty:

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

This isn't the actual drawing, but I just tried to see if I can get a halfway decent Mick face drawn on my phone. Not so much. Back to the old drawing app!

”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

Silent Majority wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:You lose points if Mick looks like a raccoon. :naughty: ;)
Does he?