Fingerpoppin' Appreciation Thread

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
IkarisOne
Unknown Immortal

Re: Fingerpoppin' Appreciation Thread

Post by IkarisOne »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Wolter wrote:
Heston wrote:DON'T TALK SHOP!!
You play music with those ears?
You mean Joe isn't saying Fingerpie?
Well, all I can say is that the live version is a lot stupider. Only instance of that.

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

IkarisOne wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Wolter wrote:
Well, all I can say is that the live version is a lot stupider. Only instance of that.
Agreed. There are a few pre-1980 songs that I prefer the studio version over most live versions, or that there aren't any live versions that are listenable, but that is the only version I can think of offhand that is objectively STUPIDER.

"Fingerpoppin'" may be my least favorite song released under the name "The Clash." Precisely because it isn't a gibberish non-song like "Play to Win" or a backwards-dicking-around-studio-fuckaround like "Mensforth Hill."
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

IkarisOne
Unknown Immortal

Post by IkarisOne »

Wolter wrote:
IkarisOne wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Wolter wrote:
Agreed. There are a few pre-1980 songs that I prefer the studio version over most live versions, or that there aren't any live versions that are listenable, but that is the only version I can think of offhand that is objectively STUPIDER.

"Fingerpoppin'" may be my least favorite song released under the name "The Clash." Precisely because it isn't a gibberish non-song like "Play to Win" or a backwards-dicking-around-studio-fuckaround like "Mensforth Hill."
A friend once opined that Joe was trying to cash in on the Frankie Goes to Hollywood vibe with it. Interesting point.

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

I like it, but I don't know what the hell they were thinking. I mean, can you imagine anyone DANCING to this?

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Inder wrote:I like it, but I don't know what the hell they were thinking. I mean, can you imagine anyone DANCING to this?
Says the guy who listened to it three times in a row starting at 3.52 am …
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Inder wrote:I like it, but I don't know what the hell they were thinking. I mean, can you imagine anyone DANCING to this?
Says the guy who listened to it three times in a row starting at 3.52 am …
HEY NOW

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

IkarisOne wrote:
Wolter wrote:
IkarisOne wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Wolter wrote: You play music with those ears?

A friend once opined that Joe was trying to cash in on the Frankie Goes to Hollywood vibe with it. Interesting point.
I can see that.

Again, the fact that it is (technically, if not artistically) a "fully realized song," not a sketch (like some of the more charming half-songs from S!), not studio around-dickery (like some of the less charming ones), not an invitation for a girlfriend to sing along (like anything ruined by the touch of Flellen Flooey), not an "Eh, toss it on a B-side" bit of play (Like most post-1979 B-sides), is what makes me resent it.

It's just a bad song. Badly executed with a subject matter that makes my flesh crawl.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

Wolter wrote:
IkarisOne wrote:
Wolter wrote:
IkarisOne wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote: You mean Joe isn't saying Fingerpie?

I can see that.

Again, the fact that it is (technically, if not artistically) a "fully realized song," not a sketch (like some of the more charming half-songs from S!), not studio around-dickery (like some of the less charming ones), not an invitation for a girlfriend to sing along (like anything ruined by the touch of Flellen Flooey), not an "Eh, toss it on a B-side" bit of play (Like most post-1979 B-sides), is what makes me resent it.

It's just a bad song. Badly executed with a subject matter that makes my flesh crawl.
Even the AOR mix? :(

Rat Patrol
Unknown Immortal

Post by Rat Patrol »

Wolter wrote:
IkarisOne wrote:
Wolter wrote:
IkarisOne wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote: You mean Joe isn't saying Fingerpie?

I can see that.

I'm more outraged by the fact that of all that dreck this was the one they gave the most complete 'production' job on the album, and that they actually thought this was the Casbah to This Is England's KYR on the singles release pecking order.

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

Fingerpoppin' is definitely in my CTC top 4.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Inder wrote:Fingerpoppin' is definitely in my CTC top 4.
I got your back, Captain.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

Inder wrote:
Wolter wrote:
IkarisOne wrote:
Wolter wrote:
IkarisOne wrote: Well, all I can say is that the live version is a lot stupider. Only instance of that.

I can see that.

Even the AOR mix? :(
ESPECIALLY THE AOR MIX!

Because as Rattie implied, they gave that song the "loving care" it so richly did not deserve while stripping "Dictator," "Three-Card Trick," "Are You Ready For War," and (to be honest) "This Is England" of most of what made them great live.

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Keith Topping's take on it in "The Complete Clash":
Quite possibly the worst song ever written by anyone, 'Fingerpoppin' is a trite, one-dimensional expose of male and female coital rituals. 'Are they urban tribes of fighting troops?' asks Strummer. No, Joe, actually they're boys and girls doing what boys and girls have done for millennia. 'Fingerpoppin'' features an embarrassingly clumsy neo-funk backing track, in which the constituent components sounds as though they're trying to escape into a different song. The Clash always sounded a bit ridiculous when they tried to play disco but, at least when Headon and Jones were in the band, they had the musical skill to just about pull it off.
With its imitation slap-bass the present song sounds uncannily like a Level 42 B-Side. Given the notoriously crap state of the UK charts in the 84-85 period, this would have been a fair-sized hit had it been released as a single. The song's first and only live performance came at one of the Brixton NUM benefit shows in December 1984. The miners, subsequently, lost. 'nuff said.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

IkarisOne wrote:A friend once opined that Joe was trying to cash in on the Frankie Goes to Hollywood vibe with it. Interesting point.
I've made that point on here before, I also think they were trying to replicate the sound Dead Or Alive had on "You Spin Me Right Round".
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

matedog wrote:Keith Topping's take on it in "The Complete Clash":
Quite possibly the worst song ever written by anyone, 'Fingerpoppin' is a trite, one-dimensional expose of male and female coital rituals. 'Are they urban tribes of fighting troops?' asks Strummer. No, Joe, actually they're boys and girls doing what boys and girls have done for millennia. 'Fingerpoppin'' features an embarrassingly clumsy neo-funk backing track, in which the constituent components sounds as though they're trying to escape into a different song. The Clash always sounded a bit ridiculous when they tried to play disco but, at least when Headon and Jones were in the band, they had the musical skill to just about pull it off.
With its imitation slap-bass the present song sounds uncannily like a Level 42 B-Side. Given the notoriously crap state of the UK charts in the 84-85 period, this would have been a fair-sized hit had it been released as a single. The song's first and only live performance came at one of the Brixton NUM benefit shows in December 1984. The miners, subsequently, lost. 'nuff said.
Considering one of the few Clash-related songs I hate more is "Boogie With Your Children," maybe Joe should have stayed away from all iterations of slap-bass.