Alternate versions of songs better than popular versions?

General music discussion.
Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Re: Alternate versions of songs better than popular versions?

Post by Heston »

tepista wrote:I like that little piano bit in the studio version of IWYTWM
It's probably present in the live version, but is overpowered by roaring Gibsons and orgasmic Japanese chicks.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Heston wrote:
tepista wrote:I like that little piano bit in the studio version of IWYTWM
It's probably present in the live version, but is overpowered by roaring Gibsons and orgasmic Japanese chicks.
So it's the perfect union of GEER and Shibuya? :shifty:
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

laxman
Unknown Immortal

Post by laxman »

I like the alternative version of Pressure Drop on DOA. And the Vanilla Tapes version of Remote Control.

CorwoodRep
Unknown Immortal

Post by CorwoodRep »

laxman wrote:And the Vanilla Tapes version of Remote Control.
I think we can all agree that version would be totally definitive if there was a more proper recording. Blows the original out of the water.
"Put down the meth, boy." - TeddyB, 2013.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Billy Joel wrote:
I think we can all agree that version would be totally definitive if there was a more proper recording. Blows the original out of the water.
I don't I like 'em both and always felt it was a well underrated song in the first place. It has got loads of stick over the years and this appears to be down to the band saying how fucked off they were by it's release and people reading into that too deep thinking the band hated the track. They obviously didn't as the Vanilla take shows.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Marky Dread wrote:
Billy Joel wrote:
I don't I like 'em both and always felt it was a well underrated song in the first place. It has got loads of stick over the years and this appears to be down to the band saying how fucked off they were by it's release and people reading into that too deep thinking the band hated the track. They obviously didn't as the Vanilla take shows.
I never thought it was that bad a track. I think the fact that it was an album track released as a single (i.e., no value for the money) is what got it a bad rap...it's a pretty damn good song.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Remote Control is a good song. I like both versions. I really like the lyrics.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

CorwoodRep
Unknown Immortal

Post by CorwoodRep »

I think Remote Control is awesome and I have no problem with it. But the Vanilla Tapes version basically poses the question "What if this song was on GEER?" The answer to which is it would have kicked way more fucking ass.
"Put down the meth, boy." - TeddyB, 2013.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Billy Joel wrote:I think Remote Control is awesome and I have no problem with it. But the Vanilla Tapes version basically poses the question "What if this song was on GEER?" The answer to which is it would have kicked way more fucking ass.
Could be said about a few other tracks also but I wouldn't want them on GEER. Maybe The Clash should've had a proper producer instead of soundman Mickey Foote, but it captures the times.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

laxman
Unknown Immortal

Post by laxman »

Marky Dread wrote:
Billy Joel wrote:
I don't dislike the original (or any Clash song, if I'm being honest). In a similar vein, I like the 1977 instrumental from the Pier 84 soundcheck.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

laxman wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Billy Joel wrote:
I don't dislike the original (or any Clash song, if I'm being honest). In a similar vein, I like the 1977 instrumental from the Pier 84 soundcheck.
Yeah I always liked that one too.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

jvfatguy
Corner Soul

Post by jvfatguy »

I think this version of the Bottom Line (Original UK 12" Mix, 8:45) is the best version of this song and maybe the best BAD song of all time. Unfortunately, it is very hard to find (not on CD, in iTunes, Amazon MP3, not on the recent Legacy album, etc) and until recently, was not even on Youtube. So, I just uploaded it to Youtube over the weekend. Way better than the US Rick Rubin vesion, has much more energy, and, of course, includes the "Part 2" portion of the song that makes this version what I consider the "full version" of the song. The album version seems more like an appetizer compared to the full entree...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8k4xhvCmyTc

Heston

Post by Heston »

jvfatguy wrote:I think this version of the Bottom Line (Original UK 12" Mix, 8:45) is the best version of this song and maybe the best BAD song of all time. Unfortunately, it is very hard to find (not on CD, in iTunes, Amazon MP3, not on the recent Legacy album, etc) and until recently, was not even on Youtube. So, I just uploaded it to Youtube over the weekend. Way better than the US Rick Rubin vesion, has much more energy, and, of course, includes the "Part 2" portion of the song that makes this version what I consider the "full version" of the song. The album version seems more like an appetizer compared to the full entree...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8k4xhvCmyTc
Yeah, I think that's the best version too. I used to have the 12", but didn't hear it for years until I downloaded the "Bad Files" from the old version of this board in 2003.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Heston

Post by Heston »

Kaleb wrote:
I don't get the fuss about the Vanilla version of Remote Control. It just sounds like a lazy jam with fucked up lyrics and solos.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Heston wrote:
Kaleb wrote:
I don't get the fuss about the Vanilla version of Remote Control. It just sounds like a lazy jam with fucked up lyrics and solos.
I think it is just hearing a 'new' version gives it a novelty effect when the old version is so ingrained in you plus the sound is refreshing.