Author to the slaughter

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Re: Author to the slaughter

Post by Heston »

Marcus G wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
rudebhoy wrote:finished the book this morning, thought it was a great read overall, but like someone else said, did get a little bit bored by some of the stuff about chord structures and guitar effects, but given it's a book for Clash nuts rather than casual readers, can see that some folk would want to see that.

My only real criticism is with the stuff about Sandinista and what they did after the band split - it's a very high-level canter through, and there is nothing that will be new to 99% of readers.

But, like I say, overall a top read, best Clash book there is, and I've read them all :mrgreen:
The only disappointment for me was the Sandinista section. Not that it wasn't good, quite the opposite, it is just that that story deserves to be written into another equally great book.

Are you reading Marcus.

I'm reading AND eating pie. Some of us are capable of multi-tasking. What I'm not doing at the same time, though, is writing another book about the Clash.

Although they say never say never again, I'm saying never again.
That's a shame. I would have enjoyed a Route 19 Revisited-style tome for each album.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Marcus G
Dirty Punk

Post by Marcus G »

Heston wrote:
Marcus G wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
rudebhoy wrote:finished the book this morning, thought it was a great read overall, but like someone else said, did get a little bit bored by some of the stuff about chord structures and guitar effects, but given it's a book for Clash nuts rather than casual readers, can see that some folk would want to see that.

My only real criticism is with the stuff about Sandinista and what they did after the band split - it's a very high-level canter through, and there is nothing that will be new to 99% of readers.

But, like I say, overall a top read, best Clash book there is, and I've read them all :mrgreen:
The only disappointment for me was the Sandinista section. Not that it wasn't good, quite the opposite, it is just that that story deserves to be written into another equally great book.

Are you reading Marcus.

I'm reading AND eating pie. Some of us are capable of multi-tasking. What I'm not doing at the same time, though, is writing another book about the Clash.

That's a shame. I would have enjoyed a Route 19 Revisited-style tome for each album.

Madhouse or poorhouse...

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Marcus G wrote:
Heston wrote:
Marcus G wrote:
101Walterton wrote:

Are you reading Marcus.

Madhouse or poorhouse...
Can't it be both?
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Marcus G
Dirty Punk

Post by Marcus G »

Wolter wrote:
Marcus G wrote:
Madhouse or poorhouse...
Can't it be both?
It's already been both, which is why never again.

Vimmattu
Long Time Jerk

Post by Vimmattu »

Marcus, I read Route 19 around Christmas time. It is truly a magnificent book. In addition to the marcusgreyian depth and attention to detail, it is also very pleasant and fun read. The hardback looks and feels cool too. Thank you and mucho respect!
- Pilled up and rrattling -

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Marcus G wrote:
101Walterton wrote:

Are you reading Marcus.

Someone has to write Mick's book ;)

Vimmattu
Long Time Jerk

Post by Vimmattu »

Wally, that's exactly what I'm thinking.
- Pilled up and rrattling -

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Vimmattu wrote:Wally, that's exactly what I'm thinking.
I was a little tongue in cheek, I don't think Marcus is top of Mick's list.

Rat Patrol
Unknown Immortal

Post by Rat Patrol »

101Walterton wrote:
Marcus G wrote:
101Walterton wrote:

Are you reading Marcus.

Someone has to write Mick's book ;)
I'm thinking Marcus spent some quality time undercover in the Young Rockers Club when interviewing Bernie and needs a few years of therapy and comfort pie before he can type again without twitching. ;)

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

101Walterton wrote:
13 Jan 2011, 7:02pm
Marcus, just finished reading 'Route 19. Brilliant. It took forever as I couldn't read a page without LC and Vanilla on my Ipod and the original vinyl LP with lyric sheets to hand. A fantastic read and far and away the most enjoyable Clash (or in fact music book of any sort) I have read.
I soaked up the detail in LGIT and RLGIT however I have been listening to LC on heavy rotation since Xmas 1979, which is about 2/3 of my life ! Your book has explained many things and answered numerous questions, some of which I didn't know I had. If nothing else I now know the name of the face on the Bankrobber picture sleeve which has been bugging me for years (and was debated long and hard on here not too long ago).
Listening to LC now 31 years later is a new experience, thank you.
101W
Looks like Marcus was wrong about it being McVicar! This turned up on FB today, looks like it must be a stock photo. Magazine is from 1969...
mcvic.jpg
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Heston wrote:
22 Apr 2020, 1:30pm
101Walterton wrote:
Marcus, just finished reading 'Route 19. Brilliant. It took forever as I couldn't read a page without LC and Vanilla on my Ipod and the original vinyl LP with lyric sheets to hand. A fantastic read and far and away the most enjoyable Clash (or in fact music book of any sort) I have read.
I soaked up the detail in LGIT and RLGIT however I have been listening to LC on heavy rotation since Xmas 1979, which is about 2/3 of my life ! Your book has explained many things and answered numerous questions, some of which I didn't know I had. If nothing else I now know the name of the face on the Bankrobber picture sleeve which has been bugging me for years (and was debated long and hard on here not too long ago).
101W
Looks like Marcus was wrong about it being McVicar! This turned up on FB today, looks like it must be a stock photo. Magazine is from 1969...

mcvic.jpg
Oh neat.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Olaf
Unknown Immortal

Post by Olaf »

So... what's Marcus up to these days?
Who pfaffed the pfaff? Who got pfaffed tonight?

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
22 Apr 2020, 1:30pm
101Walterton wrote:
101W

mcvic.jpg
On October 29, 1968, one of Briain's most feared criminals, John McVicar, went on the run after escaping from Durham Prison.

Could still be John McVicar. ;)

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Olaf
Unknown Immortal

Post by Olaf »

one of Briain's most feared criminals,
So what criminals did Michael fear?
Who pfaffed the pfaff? Who got pfaffed tonight?

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Olaf wrote:
22 Apr 2020, 3:51pm
one of Briain's most feared criminals,
So what criminals did Michael fear?
Michael who?

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing