Clash MK II - Best Boots (and a new Appreciation!)

Online music exchange.
IrelandCalling
Corner Soul

Clash MK II - Best Boots (and a new Appreciation!)

Post by IrelandCalling »

Listened for the first time to "Cut the Crap" over the past week, actually thought it wasn't as bad as it's awful reputation suggests.

But the real gold was the demos and Live versions of those songs - they had such promise in that form; tracks like "Dictator" I thought were so good Live and on the 'Out of Control' Demos, totally ruined on the album.

The two I have been listenin to, with very good quality, are Brixton 7th December 1984, and Barrowlands Glasgow 1984.

New to the Board and am sure this has been discussed many-a-time, but just so I can delve deeper into Clash Mk II - THE BEST SOUNDING bootlegs from that year; besides "Give 'Em Enough Dope" (which I also have)?

Clash II were bloody good!

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Re: Clash MK II - Best Boots (and a new Appreciation!)

Post by Heston »

IMCT has always been a Clash II board, so you're asking in the right place. Glad you listened to Cut the Crap with an open set of ears rather than condemning it outright.

I'm sure someone will point you in the direction of their best boots, I was never a fan of the Clash II live sound, so can't help you there mate.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:IMCT has always been a Clash II board
We've also always been at war with Eastasia. :shifty:
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

I've always held Give Em Enough Dope (pristine soundboard of bits of May 84 concerts) in very high regard. The 1984-12-06 and 07 concerts are very interesting for their clever rearrangements, high number of Clash 2 originals, and just batshit moments (Paul sings). Not quite as legitimately good, but very interesting. The San Francisco show from January 84 has great sound quality and is also fascinating (though usually fascinatingly awful - see Paul's shitshow vocal on POMB, Joe's "I'm so punk" rants, etc.). I'm not too keen on the early 84 shows though, because the arrangements on the new tunes aren't nearly as effective as they are in April/May 84. The gonzo Italian shows in September were a bit rushed compared to the more restrained and powerful Spring 84 stuff.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Chuck Mangione
Spitting Image

Post by Chuck Mangione »

Welcome aboard!

IrelandCalling
Corner Soul

Post by IrelandCalling »

Thanks for the thoughts everyone!

I'm not sure which one to go for next, matedog thanks for the word on San Francisco show, I might try that one if it has great sound

'Five Alive' from Stockholm seems to have a good rep also

I wish to hear stuff like 'Movers and Shakers' live, and 'Cool Under Heat' - I know there is a 'Out of Control' (CTC Revisited) different from the 14-track demos boot, which I think has all of the CTC songs live aswell as some demos.

Is there any video in existence of the Clash II?

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:IMCT has always been a Clash II board
We've also always been at war with Eastasia. :shifty:
Dr. Medulla is 100% correct in his statement here, we have always been at war with Eurasia, bless our tireless Eastasian allies.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Heston

Post by Heston »

IrelandCalling wrote:Thanks for the thoughts everyone!

I'm not sure which one to go for next, matedog thanks for the word on San Francisco show, I might try that one if it has great sound

I wish to hear stuff like 'Movers and Shakers' live, and 'Cool Under Heat' - I know there is a 'Out of Control' (CTC Revisited) different from the 14-track demos boot, which I think has all of the CTC songs live aswell as some demos.

I think Cool Under Heat was only played on the busking tour. There are some boots available, mostly of low quality.

Search YouTube for "Clash Roskilde" or "Paul Breakdancing" and you should be able to see some Clash II live footage.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Heston wrote:
IrelandCalling wrote:Thanks for the thoughts everyone!

I think Cool Under Heat was only played on the busking tour. There are some boots available, mostly of low quality.

Search YouTube for "Clash Roskilde" or "Paul Breakdancing" and you should be able to see some Clash II live footage.
:lol:

I posted Cool Under Heat for Heston awhile back:
[youtube][/youtube]

The busking shows are okay. There's absolutely zero dynamics or nuance in the arrangements, so it's hard to say they are any kind of improvement on the CTC versions. Less shitshowy, more boring. The only footage I've seen is the Roskilde boot (on youtube) which is pretty dreadful and snippets from Entertainment Tonight in early 84:
[youtube][/youtube]
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Chuck Mangione
Spitting Image

Post by Chuck Mangione »

I recommend the Hartford, CT 1984 gig at The Agora.

Heston

Post by Heston »

I recommend listening to the real Clash. :shifty:

Chuck Mangione
Spitting Image

Post by Chuck Mangione »

The real Clash never happened.

Heston

Post by Heston »

Chuck Mangione wrote:The real Clash never happened.
I wonder what would have happened if the Clash II had burst onto the scene with no Clash before them. Probably laughed out of town in 1984.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:
I wonder what would have happened if the Clash II had burst onto the scene with no Clash before them. Probably laughed out of town in 1984.
Almost certainly. Having the name and legacy gave them a hearing they otherwise never would have gotten. The material just wasn't that good.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Chuck Mangione
Spitting Image

Post by Chuck Mangione »

Heston wrote:
:mrgreen: Nah, pretty sure that would've enabled the Big Crunch.