Indestructible Tymon Dogg

Online music exchange.
dave202
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Indestructible Tymon Dogg

Post by dave202 »

Hi, can anyone pm me an mp3 of this b-side to the Ghost Dance single of Lose This Skin? Also, as LTS is the version from Sandinista!, is the b-side from the same sessions?

geraldmanns
Dirty Punk

Re: Indestructible Tymon Dogg

Post by geraldmanns »

I thought the B-Side was the same version as on Spirit of St. Louis. I would love to hear that track, too.
I got my motorcycle jacket but I‘m walking all the time

dave202
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by dave202 »

geraldmanns wrote:I thought the B-Side was the same version as on Spirit of St. Louis. I would love to hear that track, too.
I've found a copy of the single and will rip the track. I doubt if it' the same version though, different labels and different artists credited.

geraldmanns
Dirty Punk

Post by geraldmanns »

Hanx, Dave! That would be great!

dave202
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by dave202 »

geraldmanns
Dirty Punk

Post by geraldmanns »

Thanks, Dave, works fine. It may be a mastering thing, but EQ technically it seems like both songs are from the same session. But who knows, maybe they're just mastered to sound similar.

dave202
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by dave202 »

geraldmanns wrote:Thanks, Dave, works fine. It may be a mastering thing, but EQ technically it seems like both songs are from the same session. But who knows, maybe they're just mastered to sound similar.
Tymon didn't release anything else around that time, so I would guess it was the same session.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

dave202 wrote:
geraldmanns wrote:Thanks, Dave, works fine. It may be a mastering thing, but EQ technically it seems like both songs are from the same session. But who knows, maybe they're just mastered to sound similar.
Tymon didn't release anything else around that time, so I would guess it was the same session.
It is.

Ghost Dance Records released LOSE THIS SKIN as a single in 1981, backed with ballad "Indestructible". This recording is the same version recorded with The Clash in April 1980 for the band's 3rd album, SANDINISTA!. "Indestructible" was covered by singer Ellen Foley that very same year for her Spirit of St. Louis LP (which was later later featured on her The Very Best of Ellen Foley), and it has been noted before, on more than one occasion, that singer Bette Middler and songwriter Owen Paul were possibly influenced by this song to write their own somewhat similar sounding (though admittedly different original enough) "Favourite Waste Of Time" (1983) - the fact that Tymon also earlier wrote and recorded a song called "Beautiful Waste of Time" (which Ellen Foley also covered on Spirit of St. Louis), is surely more than a mere coincidence.

Hope The Fools version eventually sees the light of day.

In January 1977, Tymon and former 101ers/PiL drummer Richard Dudanski formed the band Tymon Dogg & The Fools. They called themselves The Fools as they we weren’t playing the commercial Punk music that was the order of the day. A recording by the band has yet to be released, though at least five tracks were recorded on a TEAC 4-track recorder (track listing: Dog Dirt, Cochon, Lose This Skin, Appearances, and Sick As A Dog). Legendary BBC DJ John Peel helped promote the Fools 1977 concert on his radio programme. At the Crypt venue in '77, the Fools played first, and then The Slits came on. The trio broke up after only a year or so, with Tymon leaving for India.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

dave202
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by dave202 »

Marky Dread wrote:
dave202 wrote:
It is.

Ghost Dance Records released LOSE THIS SKIN as a single in 1981, backed with ballad "Indestructible". This recording is the same version recorded with The Clash in April 1980 for the band's 3rd album, SANDINISTA!. "Indestructible" was covered by singer Ellen Foley that very same year for her Spirit of St. Louis LP (which was later later featured on her The Very Best of Ellen Foley), and it has been noted before, on more than one occasion, that singer Bette Middler and songwriter Owen Paul were possibly influenced by this song to write their own somewhat similar sounding (though admittedly different original enough) "Favourite Waste Of Time" (1983) - the fact that Tymon also earlier wrote and recorded a song called "Beautiful Waste of Time" (which Ellen Foley also covered on Spirit of St. Louis), is surely more than a mere coincidence.

Hope The Fools version eventually sees the light of day.

In January 1977, Tymon and former 101ers/PiL drummer Richard Dudanski formed the band Tymon Dogg & The Fools. They called themselves The Fools as they we weren’t playing the commercial Punk music that was the order of the day. A recording by the band has yet to be released, though at least five tracks were recorded on a TEAC 4-track recorder (track listing: Dog Dirt, Cochon, Lose This Skin, Appearances, and Sick As A Dog). Legendary BBC DJ John Peel helped promote the Fools 1977 concert on his radio programme. At the Crypt venue in '77, the Fools played first, and then The Slits came on. The trio broke up after only a year or so, with Tymon leaving for India.
Thanks for that info. I like how Tymon and Richard both come in and out of the Joe Strummer/Clash story at different times, even down to the tribute gig in Granada all those years ago. It may be trivia to some people, but it interests me.