Injected with Love: The Death Penalty Thread

Politics and other such topical creams.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: Injected with Love: The Death Penalty Thread

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:The latest horrifying story: http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/lethal ... rs-n163086

But don't worry, the vast majority of random online commenters have decided the problem - if one exists at all - is this dude the state murdered didn't suffer enough. There's nothing soul crushingly horrifying about that kind of sentiment at all.
It's more than a little unsettling to see how many people gleefully embrace the mindset of the brutal killer or rapist when they say these guys deserve to be raped in prison or tortured, that it's valid treatment. You know, if your moral zone has a significant venn overlap with the monsters being incarcerated, maybe it's look-in-the-mirror time.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Kinda reminds me about the news story recently about the dude that found his son being molested and beat the shit out of the molester. He hasn't been charged of anything the last I heard. Of course all commenters are saying that the father was kind for not killing the molester, etc. While I no doubt have sympathy with the father and could see myself doing the same thing in the same situation, the father really needs to be charged with assault or similar.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

matedog wrote:Kinda reminds me about the news story recently about the dude that found his son being molested and beat the shit out of the molester. He hasn't been charged of anything the last I heard. Of course all commenters are saying that the father was kind for not killing the molester, etc. While I no doubt have sympathy with the father and could see myself doing the same thing in the same situation, the father really needs to be charged with assault or similar.
If the father beat up the guy at the time he found the guy raping his kid, no, that would be accepted as self-defense. If it were after the fact—i.e., kid tells him what happens, dad hunts the guy down and kicks the shit out of him—then it would be assault, but I suspect it'd be tough to get a jury to convict. You only need one eye-for-an-eye person on the jury.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
matedog wrote:Kinda reminds me about the news story recently about the dude that found his son being molested and beat the shit out of the molester. He hasn't been charged of anything the last I heard. Of course all commenters are saying that the father was kind for not killing the molester, etc. While I no doubt have sympathy with the father and could see myself doing the same thing in the same situation, the father really needs to be charged with assault or similar.
If the father beat up the guy at the time he found the guy raping his kid, no, that would be accepted as self-defense. If it were after the fact—i.e., kid tells him what happens, dad hunts the guy down and kicks the shit out of him—then it would be assault, but I suspect it'd be tough to get a jury to convict. You only need one eye-for-an-eye person on the jury.
Oh, I guess that's correct. I suppose the degree of "defense" was a bit excessive, but that probably isn't something people would pursue. Reminds me of that guy that shot and killed the guy that molested his son and got manslaughter/5 years probation (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gary_Plauche) when it was clearly premeditated.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

matedog wrote:Oh, I guess that's correct. I suppose the degree of "defense" was a bit excessive, but that probably isn't something people would pursue. Reminds me of that guy that shot and killed the guy that molested his son and got manslaughter/5 years probation (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gary_Plauche) when it was clearly premeditated.
I just looked at the latest news articles. The father walked in to find a guy molesting his 11 year old son. Father beats the molester into a coma and, according to the father, was going to get a knife to stab the molester to death. The son intervened and stopped the father from murdering the guy. Crazy shit.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
matedog wrote:Oh, I guess that's correct. I suppose the degree of "defense" was a bit excessive, but that probably isn't something people would pursue. Reminds me of that guy that shot and killed the guy that molested his son and got manslaughter/5 years probation (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gary_Plauche) when it was clearly premeditated.
I just looked at the latest news articles. The father walked in to find a guy molesting his 11 year old son. Father beats the molester into a coma and, according to the father, was going to get a knife to stab the molester to death. The son intervened and stopped the father from murdering the guy. Crazy shit.
I would guess some kind of temporary insanity plea would convince at least one juror. And, depending on what dad was like otherwise, it might be entirely valid. As Hoy said, in the same situation we might do the same thing. I'd like to think not, but, who knows. Certainly nothing for third parties to revel in, tho.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Dr. Medulla wrote:I would guess some kind of temporary insanity plea would convince at least one juror. And, depending on what dad was like otherwise, it might be entirely valid. As Hoy said, in the same situation we might do the same thing. I'd like to think not, but, who knows. Certainly nothing for third parties to revel in, tho.
Yeah, for me it's not so much whether he should have been charged (probably not, and even if so there's no way he'd be convicted) as the grotesque bloodlust on display from the commentariat.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:I would guess some kind of temporary insanity plea would convince at least one juror. And, depending on what dad was like otherwise, it might be entirely valid. As Hoy said, in the same situation we might do the same thing. I'd like to think not, but, who knows. Certainly nothing for third parties to revel in, tho.
Yeah, for me it's not so much whether he should have been charged (probably not, and even if so there's no way he'd be convicted) as the grotesque bloodlust on display from the commentariat.
Back in '49, when Arthur Schlesinger, Jr. put forth his defence of liberalism versus mass society/totalitarianism, he declared that within every man is a Hitler or a Stalin that we need to guard against. Whenever I see those kinds of bloodlust declarations about someone's guilt and how no torture is sufficient for his or her crime, I wonder whether Artie's pessimism had some merit.

Rat Patrol
Unknown Immortal

Post by Rat Patrol »

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

http://gawker.com/unable-to-score-letha ... 1682966222

Credit to RP for his earlier analysis on executions going forward.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Looks like Chan and Sukumaran are going to face the firing squad in the next week. I bet they wish they didn't help the guards in that riot now.

Rat Patrol
Unknown Immortal

Post by Rat Patrol »

http://www.cnn.com/2015/05/15/us/boston ... index.html

So we're gonna make a martyr out of him as an example to others. I see the feds are still thinking through their cunning geopolitical anger management plan thoroughly.Image

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Rat Patrol wrote:http://www.cnn.com/2015/05/15/us/boston ... index.html

So we're gonna make a martyr out of him as an example to others. I see the feds are still thinking through their cunning geopolitical anger management plan thoroughly.Image
Might well be a kindness to him if the other likely option is a near-perpetual solitary confinement that leaves his brain jello. Because the Western nations are civilized and shit.

Rat Patrol
Unknown Immortal

Post by Rat Patrol »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Rat Patrol wrote:http://www.cnn.com/2015/05/15/us/boston ... index.html

Might well be a kindness to him if the other likely option is a near-perpetual solitary confinement that leaves his brain jello. Because the Western nations are civilized and shit.
Oh, yes. Supermax is barbaric.

But now he gets exactly what he wants, it gets used as propaganda by extremists everywhere (including the Randian Jesus ones), he stays in the news for multiple automatic appeals for years on end, he gets private guards on death row, and he costs the government 5 times as much as if he got life. And if it's like McVeigh's execution, the victim's families will feel totally empty inside--moreso than before--at the senselessness of it all when it actually happens and they see Texans firing their guns in the air in celebration because the Good Guy™ extremists done learned a Bad Guy™ extremist what's what...even though he can't feel anything and learned nothing.

Humankind wins at death. Undefeatedly so. But Real 'Murcans are exceptional at it.

Rat Patrol
Unknown Immortal

Post by Rat Patrol »

http://www.boston.com/news/nation/2015/ ... stack_5_hp

Another one bites the dust.

Wow...did not see that one coming from a state that has Kansas' B.O. stinking up its southern border.