Rat Patrol From Hell W10

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
101Walterton
The Best

Re: Rat Patrol From Hell W10

Post by 101Walterton »

Marky Dread wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Wolter wrote:I am frankly stunned at how large an output Showaddywaddy actually had. I've probably heard two, maybe three of their songs on 70s glam/bubblegum compilations. They were a really huge cultural force over there, huh?
Yep as Heston says not a cultural force. Just another 70's pop group who covered old rock 'n' roll songs. I don't consider them to be anymore culturally significant than The Osmonds or David Cassidy.
I would disagree slightly. Not because I was literally a paid-up member of their fan club, but because bands like Showaddywaddy and Darts were, in part at least, the forerunners of the boy band epidemic that was starting to emerge in the late 80s. I don't mean that those guys didn't have a bit of talent, Darts in particular were pretty decent at what they did, but the formula for producing hits was transferable and Stock and his buddies along with Louis Walsh just took it to another level. Walsh actually professes to be a huge Showaddywaddy fan and acknowledges the debt.
Well I think they had very stiff competition. The first Showaddywaddy hit was in '74 but don't forget the Bay City Rollers were having hits in '71 and they really were experiencing a Beatles like mania. So to me they were far more of a cultural force. Both groups had huge hits coveirng old 50's rock 'n' roll hits. I think the Rollers had a much greater teen appeal more in line with the boy bands you mentioned.
I wouldn't have Showaddywaddy down as forerunners to boy bands. The Osmonds, Jackson 5, Bay City Rolers had the screaming teenage girl fanbase however Showaddywaddy looked like a bunch of old men. They were probably forerunners of Dadrock if anything.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

101Walterton wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Wolter wrote:I am frankly stunned at how large an output Showaddywaddy actually had. I've probably heard two, maybe three of their songs on 70s glam/bubblegum compilations. They were a really huge cultural force over there, huh?
Yep as Heston says not a cultural force. Just another 70's pop group who covered old rock 'n' roll songs. I don't consider them to be anymore culturally significant than The Osmonds or David Cassidy.
I would disagree slightly. Not because I was literally a paid-up member of their fan club, but because bands like Showaddywaddy and Darts were, in part at least, the forerunners of the boy band epidemic that was starting to emerge in the late 80s. I don't mean that those guys didn't have a bit of talent, Darts in particular were pretty decent at what they did, but the formula for producing hits was transferable and Stock and his buddies along with Louis Walsh just took it to another level. Walsh actually professes to be a huge Showaddywaddy fan and acknowledges the debt.
Well I think they had very stiff competition. The first Showaddywaddy hit was in '74 but don't forget the Bay City Rollers were having hits in '71 and they really were experiencing a Beatles like mania. So to me they were far more of a cultural force. Both groups had huge hits coveirng old 50's rock 'n' roll hits. I think the Rollers had a much greater teen appeal more in line with the boy bands you mentioned.
I wouldn't have Showaddywaddy down as forerunners to boy bands. The Osmonds, Jackson 5, Bay City Rolers had the screaming teenage girl fanbase however Showaddywaddy looked like a bunch of old men. They were probably forerunners of Dadrock if anything.
Don't quite see the Showaddywaddy - Clodplay connection though.

Lots of people like to believe that punk wiped out bands like Showaddywaddy but in reality they were just replaced by Shakin' Stevens.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Marky Dread wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
Marky Dread wrote: Yep as Heston says not a cultural force. Just another 70's pop group who covered old rock 'n' roll songs. I don't consider them to be anymore culturally significant than The Osmonds or David Cassidy.

Lots of people like to believe that punk wiped out bands like Showaddywaddy but in reality they were just replaced by Shakin' Stevens.
Showaddywaddy were the second wave of Rock'n Roll, a lot of my mate's dads were old Teddy Boys.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

101Walterton wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Low Down Low wrote: I would disagree slightly. Not because I was literally a paid-up member of their fan club, but because bands like Showaddywaddy and Darts were, in part at least, the forerunners of the boy band epidemic that was starting to emerge in the late 80s. I don't mean that those guys didn't have a bit of talent, Darts in particular were pretty decent at what they did, but the formula for producing hits was transferable and Stock and his buddies along with Louis Walsh just took it to another level. Walsh actually professes to be a huge Showaddywaddy fan and acknowledges the debt.

Showaddywaddy were the second wave of Rock'n Roll, a lot of my mate's dads were old Teddy Boys.
Here's mud in yor eye.
[youtube][/youtube]
Big Audio?

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

My timeline is all wrong, I thought Mud, Showaddywaddy, Darts were all charting around the same time.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

101Walterton wrote:My timeline is all wrong, I thought Mud, Showaddywaddy, Darts were all charting around the same time.
Darts were later. From '76 onwards they charted with the likes of Matchbox/The Polecats and a little later The Stray Cats.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

101Walterton wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Low Down Low wrote: I would disagree slightly. Not because I was literally a paid-up member of their fan club, but because bands like Showaddywaddy and Darts were, in part at least, the forerunners of the boy band epidemic that was starting to emerge in the late 80s. I don't mean that those guys didn't have a bit of talent, Darts in particular were pretty decent at what they did, but the formula for producing hits was transferable and Stock and his buddies along with Louis Walsh just took it to another level. Walsh actually professes to be a huge Showaddywaddy fan and acknowledges the debt.

Of course, that's right about the Rollers being a formative influence for the boy bands. But one big difference was the Rollers were also a conventional band, in that they played instruments and lined up as a group so it wasn't a direct lift. The boy band moguls were clever and took elements from lots of places. The Osmonds and the Rubettes also and, as I mentioned earlier, I think Darts in the choice of songs they played and how they packaged them as hits was crucial. Maybe not as much with Showaddywaddy, but while I'm sure they claimed to be old rock 'n rollers, my teenage self never saw them as anything but pure pop and naff with it which was ok for the time. In fact, when I look at them in all their finery, they could just as easily pass for an old Irish showband of which the likes of Boyzone and Westlife were in many ways a modern incarnation.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Low Down Low wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
Marky Dread wrote: Well I think they had very stiff competition. The first Showaddywaddy hit was in '74 but don't forget the Bay City Rollers were having hits in '71 and they really were experiencing a Beatles like mania. So to me they were far more of a cultural force. Both groups had huge hits coveirng old 50's rock 'n' roll hits. I think the Rollers had a much greater teen appeal more in line with the boy bands you mentioned.

Of course, that's right about the Rollers being a formative influence for the boy bands. But one big difference was the Rollers were also a conventional band, in that they played instruments and lined up as a group so it wasn't a direct lift. The boy band moguls were clever and took elements from lots of places. The Osmonds and the Rubettes also and, as I mentioned earlier, I think Darts in the choice of songs they played and how they packaged them as hits was crucial. Maybe not as much with Showaddywaddy, but while I'm sure they claimed to be old rock 'n rollers, my teenage self never saw them as anything but pure pop and naff with it which was ok for the time. In fact, when I look at them in all their finery, they could just as easily pass for an old Irish showband of which the likes of Boyzone and Westlife were in many ways a modern incarnation.
I always see the dircet lineage dating back well before the 70's for boy bands. Back to to Tlma Motown and Stax and so on. Even back further to doo wop.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Marky Dread wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
101Walterton wrote:

I always see the dircet lineage dating back well before the 70's for boy bands. Back to to Tlma Motown and Stax and so on. Even back further to doo wop.
Yeah I think that's fair enough. There's a definite line from Doo Wop - Rubettes - Darts - boy bands. Although because I am very fond of 1950s Doo Wop I really do hate to see it conflated with the totally shit boy band era and the same goes a million times over with Motown!

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Low Down Low wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
Marky Dread wrote: Don't quite see the Showaddywaddy - Clodplay connection though.

Yeah I think that's fair enough. There's a definite line from Doo Wop - Rubettes - Darts - boy bands. Although because I am very fond of 1950s Doo Wop I really do hate to see it conflated with the totally shit boy band era and the same goes a million times over with Motown!
Definitely agree altough I could never let those flakey boy bands spoil any greatness of those golden era's.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Clashruss
Corner Soul

Post by Clashruss »

Wolter wrote:I know I'm IMCT's resident metalhead, but isn't a camp version of Judas Priest just...Judas Priest?
Maybe Judas priest were big burglars dog fans and decided to nick their image!!

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Clashruss wrote:
Wolter wrote:I know I'm IMCT's resident metalhead, but isn't a camp version of Judas Priest just...Judas Priest?
Or just their dog.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Clashruss
Corner Soul

Post by Clashruss »

Marky Dread wrote:
Clashruss wrote:
Or just their dog.
That would be breaking the law!

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Clashruss wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Clashruss wrote:
Or just their dog.
:lol:
Were United on that for sure.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Marky Dread wrote:
Clashruss wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Clashruss wrote:
Or just their dog.
:lol:
Were United on that for sure.
Haha, I'm watched them play that about 5 mins ago on BBC4.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board