The New Testament

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: The New Testament

Post by Dr. Medulla »

The best part of these collections is that they remind why I loved this band in the first place. Years of Deep Clash Trauma did wear on me, but freshening these songs up again rekindles the passion. Love the LC Nuclear Meltdown mix with that last minute of screech.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:The best part of these collections is that they remind why I loved this band in the first place. Years of Deep Clash Trauma did wear on me, but freshening these songs up again rekindles the passion. Love the LC Nuclear Meltdown mix with that last minute of screech.
That Nuclear Meltdown mix is a bit over the top but I had fun with that. Yes these collections do help bring back some of the love to a time before any prejudice. The band have taken a real kicking on these boards down the years with those who know so much knowledge now sounding very jaded.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Listening to "Gates of the West" on headphones and wow Mick's backing vocals are really angelic.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Marky Dread wrote:Listening to "Gates of the West" on headphones and wow Mick's backing vocals are really angelic.
Was that not Dennis Ferranti (studio engineer) who was credited on the sleeve with that?
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:Listening to "Gates of the West" on headphones and wow Mick's backing vocals are really angelic.
Was that not Dennis Ferranti (studio engineer) who was credited on the sleeve with that?
You could be correct mate the sleeves states "extra high vocal" by Dennis Ferranti. I didn't realize it was referring to the BV's and never connected the two.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Heston

Post by Heston »

Marky Dread wrote:
Heston wrote:
You could be correct mate the sleeves states "extra high vocal" by Dennis Ferranti. I didn't realize it was referring to the BV's and never connected the two.
Where do I collect my trainspotter badge? Pretty sure that's the highest vocal on the EP so must be him.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

A couple of other things I was thinking about. Kosmo states how he was concerned about his interrupting on Armagideon Time and spoiling the perfect take. This is surely just another piece of Clash fluff, I mean hadn't he heard of mixing if the band didn't want it on the final mix it would've simply been edited.

Capital Radio Two being re-recorded because the original version selling for silly money. But surely as they didn't just reissue the original that only made it even more sought after as a collectable. Still really glad they re-made it as CoL must be their finest hour.
Last edited by Marky Dread on 15 Oct 2015, 2:37pm, edited 1 time in total.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Heston wrote:
Where do I collect my trainspotter badge? Pretty sure that's the highest vocal on the EP so must be him.
Apart from Joe singing "Scooby Doo, Scooby Doo ahh ahh ahh ahh" on the end of the advert.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Heston

Post by Heston »

Marky Dread wrote:A couple of other things I was thinking about. Kosmo states how he was concerned about his interrupting on Armagideon Time and spoiling the perfect take. This is surely just another piece of Clash fluff, I mean hadn't he heard of mixing if the band didn't want it on the final mix it would've simply been edited.

Capital Radio Two being re-recorded because the original version selling for silly money. But surely as the didn't just reissue the original that only made it even more sought after as a collectable. Still really glad they re-made it as CoL must be their finest hour.
I always thought the first tale was baloney.

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Marky Dread wrote:A couple of other things I was thinking about. Kosmo states how he was concerned about his interrupting on Armagideon Time and spoiling the perfect take. This is surely just another piece of Clash fluff, I mean hadn't he heard of mixing if the band didn't want it on the final mix it would've simply been edited.

Capital Radio Two being re-recorded because the original version selling for silly money. But surely as they didn't just reissue the original that only made it even more sought after as a collectable. Still really glad they re-made it as CoL must be their finest hour.
I'll reluctantly disagree with you on that. I've always considered it a half-way house, a kind of staging post between GEER and LC, which will always be their finest hour for me. A stepping stone, I guess, albeit a quite brilliant one.

I'd agree on Armagideon for sure, a harmless bit of fluff. If the ideal single time was 2:58, why were just about all their singles around that time considerably over the 3 minute mark?

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Low Down Low wrote:

I'll reluctantly disagree with you on that. I've always considered it a half-way house, a kind of staging post between GEER and LC, which will always be their finest hour for me. A stepping stone, I guess, albeit a quite brilliant one.

I'd agree on Armagideon for sure, a harmless bit of fluff. If the ideal single time was 2:58, why were just about all their singles around that time considerably over the 3 minute mark?
I'm with Marky, COL was their finest hour for me. They showed their musical diversity and ability that would come to the fore on LC but they still had their raw GarageBand edge and energy.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Low Down Low wrote:

If they had recorded GEER the same way they did CoL then I'm sure it would generally be held in higher esteem. '79 was the year for greatness.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Heston

Post by Heston »

If LC was condensed to an EP featuring LC, Rudie, Clampdown and Spanish Bombs it would be better than CoL. You can't really compare a double album and an EP.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:If LC was condensed to an EP featuring LC, Rudie, Clampdown and Spanish Bombs it would be better than CoL. You can't really compare a double album and an EP.
Yes you are correct it should've been a treble :shifty: .

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

We are only comparing degrees of excellence here. I'd just knock a few technical marks off COL for one song being a cover and two others being reworkings of older songs, but i'm only nitpicking. I know there are clash fans who think there's a bit too much hype around LC but i'm not one of them, i'm still captivated by its genius all these years on. I actually still can't figure out how they came up with something so brilliant, it genuinely mystifies me everytime i listen to it and could never tire of it if i lived 1000 years.