My next project...

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

My next project...

Post by Marky Dread »

I'm looking to compile an albums worth of stuff the band played on outside of The Clash. So non Clash projects.

Here's what I have so far.

Mikey Dread - World War III
Ian Hunter - Short Back n' Sides
Ellen Foley - Spirit of St. Louis
Janie Jones & The Lash - House of the Ju Ju Queen / Sex Machine + Joe's demo
Vice Creems - Danger Love / Tiger
The Looters - does Paul play on the tracks or does he just appear in the movie?

anyone add any more?
Last edited by Marky Dread on 19 Oct 2015, 2:49am, edited 1 time in total.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

laxman
Unknown Immortal

Re: My next project...

Post by laxman »

Are we talking full band appearances rather than individual appearances?

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

laxman wrote:Are we talking full band appearances rather than individual appearances?
Just stuff that any of the members were involved with where they actually play on the record. Mick produced Theatre of Hate but doesn't play on it to my knowledge and Joe produced The Little Roosters album but again I don't think he plays on it. Also only want stuff when they were members of The Clash so don't need The 101ers for example.

Unsure about including Futura 2000 stuff as I already included those tracks on the Rat Patrol from Hell W10 comp.
Last edited by Marky Dread on 17 Oct 2015, 4:29pm, edited 1 time in total.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

laxman
Unknown Immortal

Post by laxman »

Marky Dread wrote:
laxman wrote:Are we talking full band appearances rather than individual appearances?
Just stuff that any of the members were involved with where they actually play on the record. Mick produced Theatre of Hate but doesn't play on it to my knowledge and Joe produced The Little Roosters album but again I don't think he plays on it. Also only want stuff wheb they were members of The Clash so don't need The 101ers for example.
Thanks, I will give it some thought.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

laxman wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Just stuff that any of the members were involved with where they actually play on the record. Mick produced Theatre of Hate but doesn't play on it to my knowledge and Joe produced The Little Roosters album but again I don't think he plays on it. Also only want stuff wheb they were members of The Clash so don't need The 101ers for example.
Thanks, I will give it some thought.
Thanks mate. :approve:

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

laxman
Unknown Immortal

Post by laxman »

In 1981, Jones co-produced Ian Hunter's Short Back 'n' Sides LP with Mick Ronson. He also provided guitars and vocals for several songs on the release. In the same year, he produced Theatre of Hate's first album Westworld released in 1982, written by Kirk Brandon. Jones also played guitar on the title track, "Do You Believe in the Westworld". Jones would also record and produce Aria of the Devil in 1982 by Theatre of Hate at Wessex Studios, which did not get released until 1998, when the master tapes were found by Kirk Brandon.

From Wikipedia, so it must be true!

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

laxman wrote:In 1981, Jones co-produced Ian Hunter's Short Back 'n' Sides LP with Mick Ronson. He also provided guitars and vocals for several songs on the release. In the same year, he produced Theatre of Hate's first album Westworld released in 1982, written by Kirk Brandon. Jones also played guitar on the title track, "Do You Believe in the Westworld". Jones would also record and produce Aria of the Devil in 1982 by Theatre of Hate at Wessex Studios, which did not get released until 1998, when the master tapes were found by Kirk Brandon.

From Wikipedia, so it must be true!
Interesting about Aria of the Devil but he doesn't play on that. I will do further research regards DYBitW and then include it on the comp if required. I hope he did play on it as that's a great track to include.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

JohnS
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by JohnS »

Mick played lead guitar on Elvis Costello's 'Big Tears', if that counts.
Didn't he also play on an early version/mix of 'Pump It Up' which was released a few years later In a remixed form on a 12" single B-side, or something? I'll have to check
Ignore Alien Hors d'oeuvres

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

JohnS wrote:Mick played lead guitar on Elvis Costello's 'Big Tears', if that counts.
Didn't he also play on an early version/mix of 'Pump It Up' which was released a few years later In a remixed form on a 12" single B-side, or something? I'll have to check
Yes that's one I completely forgot, good shout John. I have all the two disc editions of Costello's CD's I'm sure that first mix of "Pump It Up" is on one of them I'll check.

This may just have to be some of the artwork needed.

Think I'll call it Clash Collaborations.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Post by muppet hi fi »

Marky, you probably already know this, but the three songs on Hunter/Ronson's 'Short Back & Sides' that feature Topper are "Central Park & West" (such a classic), "Noises" (pure Mick S!-era production) and "Leave Me Alone" (nice pop tune with fine b/vs from Mick).

Mick's obviously all over the rest of the album.
Strong shoes is what we got and when they're hot they're hot!
- Marky Dread and his fabulous Screaming Blue Messiahs

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

muppet hi fi wrote:Marky, you probably already know this, but the three songs on Hunter/Ronson's 'Short Back & Sides' that feature Topper are "Central Park & West" (such a classic), "Noises" (pure Mick S!-era production) and "Leave Me Alone" (nice pop tune with fine b/vs from Mick).

I have the double CD on order and I want to see if Mick and Co. are on the unreleased versioNS/outtakes.

Thanks for the info, I have the vinyl album.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Post by muppet hi fi »

Marky Dread wrote:
muppet hi fi wrote:Marky, you probably already know this, but the three songs on Hunter/Ronson's 'Short Back & Sides' that feature Topper are "Central Park & West" (such a classic), "Noises" (pure Mick S!-era production) and "Leave Me Alone" (nice pop tune with fine b/vs from Mick).

I have the double CD on order and I want to see if Mick and Co. are on the unreleased versioNS/outtakes.

i had the double CD about 10 years ago, sold it. i thought it was out of print since then?

there are some really fun and interesting tracks, but i think all are with Ian's touring band from that period (NYC guys), with Ronno as well. the only Mick track i recall is an alt mix of "Theatre of the Absurd" (the reggae track), which has a slightly different feel and slightly more MJ backing vox. i prefer it to the album version.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

muppet hi fi wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

i had the double CD about 10 years ago, sold it. i thought it was out of print since then?

there are some really fun and interesting tracks, but i think all are with Ian's touring band from that period (NYC guys), with Ronno as well. the only Mick track i recall is an alt mix of "Theatre of the Absurd" (the reggae track), which has a slightly different feel and slightly more MJ backing vox. i prefer it to the album version.
I have a download of those tracks in a poor bitrate. Yes it's out of print now I have a secondhand copy in good nick coming my way soon from one of my contacts.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Post by muppet hi fi »

Marky Dread wrote:
muppet hi fi wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

I have a download of those tracks in a poor bitrate. Yes it's out of print now I have a secondhand copy in good nick coming my way soon from one of my contacts.
"Venus In the Bathtub" is great, very fun rocker, and "Listen To the Eight-Track" is brilliant as well - long mid tempo track where he goes off about trying to make out in his car with his girl while listening to Springsteen's 'The River', which had just been released!

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

muppet hi fi wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
muppet hi fi wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

"Venus In the Bathtub" is great, very fun rocker, and "Listen To the Eight-Track" is brilliant as well - long mid tempo track where he goes off about trying to make out in his car with his girl while listening to Springsteen's 'The River', which had just been released!
Yeah I dig "Listen to the 8 Track" great fun.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia