Oh Canada!

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Re: Oh Canada!

Post by BostonBeaneater »

Dr. Medulla wrote:The expected lack of respect/awe towards the Stanley Cup is about the only thing that I like about the NHL/hockey. Except, of course, it's institutionalized humiliation of Torontonians.
I like the senseless violence.

Mike Milbury beating a Rangers fan with his own show is a favorite.

John Wensink challenging the Northstars and the state of minnesota to a fight is a good one too.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:The expected lack of respect/awe towards the Stanley Cup is about the only thing that I like about the NHL/hockey. Except, of course, it's institutionalized humiliation of Torontonians.
Yeah, some hockey brawls are amusing, but mostly hockey's attitude toward fighting is dumb. Every other sport has the common sense rule that if you fight, you're done. Hockey … not really. Except in excessive situations, it's treated as not much different than tripping—just an extra three minutes in the box. Which means that fighting is basically fine. As part of the game's structure, it stands out as being dumb and encourages having players whose talents aren't having hockey skills.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

BostonBeaneater

Dr. Medulla wrote:
BostonBeaneater wrote:
Yeah, some hockey brawls are amusing, but mostly hockey's attitude toward fighting is dumb. Every other sport has the common sense rule that if you fight, you're done. Hockey … not really. Except in excessive situations, it's treated as not much different than tripping—just an extra three minutes in the box. Which means that fighting is basically fine. As part of the game's structure, it stands out as being dumb and encourages having players whose talents aren't having hockey skills.
I think the other sports are kind of dumb about fighting as well. For every Nolan Ryan breaking Ventura's face fight there are a hundred group hugs at the mound. No one should be ejected for those.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
BostonBeaneater wrote:
I think the other sports are kind of dumb about fighting as well. For every Nolan Ryan breaking Ventura's face fight there are a hundred group hugs at the mound. No one should be ejected for those.
But group hugs—good term, btw—don't usually result in ejections other than the people who started it and if some guy decides to fly in and blindside a guy. A big reason why the Odor-Bautista fight got so much press is that baseball is really bad at fights.

(Not real, I know, but it ain't far off.)
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Rat Patrol
Unknown Immortal

Post by Rat Patrol »

BostonBeaneater wrote:I like the senseless violence.
Unfortunately Canada's men in blue don't quite do that as well as their 'Murcan counterparts.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Rat Patrol wrote:
Unfortunately Canada's men in blue don't quite do that as well as their 'Murcan counterparts.

Sadly, a popular (as in non-scholarly) historian named Pierre Burton …

… once argued that the reason Canada doesn't have the gun culture as the US because of the climate. That is, in Moose Jaw in January, no one wanted to put bare flesh on cold metal.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Rat Patrol wrote:

Sadly, a popular (as in non-scholarly) historian named Pierre Burton …

… once argued that the reason Canada doesn't have the gun culture as the US because of the climate. That is, in Moose Jaw in January, no one wanted to put bare flesh on cold metal.

First that car chase thing is hilarious.
Second...Really that was his reasoning?

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:Second...Really that was his reasoning?
Yep. He promoted an idea of climate explaining national character. He's dead now, tho, so that's something.

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Here's the deal, Doc. You like baseball. I like hockey and your prime minister. Wanna trade countries?
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Spiff
Mostly Nekkid

Post by Spiff »

BostonBeaneater wrote:John Wensink challenging the Northstars and the state of minnesota to a fight is a good one too.
And ... Minnesota Nice prevails and they decline to take his bait.
Let fury have the hour, anger can be power
D'you know that you can use it?

-- There's no fairytale ending with cocaine.

BostonBeaneater

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

That seems like something that should happen in Tokyo, perhaps in connection to a game show.

BostonBeaneater

Dr. Medulla wrote:That seems like something that should happen in Tokyo, perhaps in connection to a game show.
Totontokyo?

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:That seems like something that should happen in Tokyo, perhaps in connection to a game show.
Totontokyo?

We were struck by the heavy Chinese and Korean population this weekend when we were there, more than I've noticed in the past. The kind of thing that helps explain Rob Ford.

Rat Patrol
Unknown Immortal

Post by Rat Patrol »

http://www.timescolonist.com/ns-outhous ... -1.2309054

And here all this time I thought the Trudeaus just shit in the woods.