Mick Jones - Amongst Pirate Friends - 1992

Mick Jones, Carbon/Silicon, BAD and cetera.
nsc
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Mick Jones - Amongst Pirate Friends - 1992

Post by nsc »

found this info.

Here's the story:

These tracks were all (or at least most) intended to be included in the Amongst Friends movie soundtrack. The director's house was robbed before the film's completion - oddly nothing was taken except a box of studio tapes labelled "Mick Jones Master Bits". Only three tracks were left as they had not yet been collected from the studio - these are the three on the soundtrack album as we know it.

I was sent a cassette tape over two years ago by an LA burglar (no joke) who for obvious reasons can't be named (you know who you are and thank you again) who came upon a cassette copy, he tells me, when he was serving time. He was given it by this punk guy who (so the story goes) would sit alone in his cell all day and play harpsichord music tapes.

So thanks to these chaps, we finally get to hear the whole thing - even if the sound quality is not great and some of the mixes a little rough, I reckon it's a really interesting and unique, not to say highly enjoyable bunch of tracks. And Mick, hope you don't mind - I'd like you to know no profit at all is being made by anybody involved. But if you do object for any reason then please contact me and I'll get them taken down. What I would say is that if any of you like the tracks then tell the gang here on the BAD discussion page, and give a few quid or dollars or U-Roez to a charity you believe in. If you're at a loss for one to choose then why not start a discussion about that.

I have re-christened this collection "AMONGST PIRATE FRIENDS".

I will be 'releasing' the MP3s in sets of 3 each Friday afternoon with the help of Tosh and EE. Just a tip I learned from my mum from childhood Xmas mornings!

The first 3 are up now - there will eventually be 19 tracks in total (plus a few odd bits after), mostly instrumental themes and versions of the three tracks we already know. There are also two songs with Mick performing the vocal - one of which is up now called "When The Rain Would Fall" and the other will be in the last batch in about six weeks just to keep you all on your toes... (and I have kept them in the order they appear on the tape)

Technical note - the cassette source I have is not great quality but it's the best you're gonna get as my LA contact seems to think the masters were destroyed... I have encoded them at 192 kbps so some of the files are quite large, but I didn't want to compromise on quality for such a treasure.

Now what are you waiting for???
01 Instrumental 1 Bass
02 Long Island Piano
03 When The Rain Would Fall
04 Long Island March
05 Instrumental 2 Calm
05b Long Island LP
06 Instrumental 3 Lite
07 Instrumental 4 Mood
08 Instrumental 5 Cut Off
08b Instrumental 3 Repeated.
09 Instrumental 6 SoulSpace
09b Instrumental 7 Aborted
10 Instrumental 7 Girl a
10b Instrumental 1 Aborted
11 Instrumental 8 Acid
12 Instrumental 9 Horns
13 No Ennio Version
14 Instrumental 10 Girl b
15 Instrumental 11 Yazz
16 Long Island Strings]
17 Instrumental 12 Spacy
17b Rush Live
18 What Can I Do
19 No Ennio Strings
19b I Don't Know LP
19c No Ennio LP

http://rapidshare.com/files/148902920/APF.rar.html

Olaf
Unknown Immortal

Re: Mick Jones - Amongst Pirate Friends - 1992

Post by Olaf »

I believe those were on IMCT back in the day.
Who pfaffed the pfaff? Who got pfaffed tonight?

laxman
Unknown Immortal

Post by laxman »

Good story. Beats the "found down the back of the sofa/in a lock up/at a car boot sale" variations!

esmark
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by esmark »

ahem..... posted those a long time ago on the Sound of Sinners.... "Some Bad" thread... got the files 256 kb/s mp3's... the way I got them first... wasn't it "El Buccanero" that posted those, with that story in the first place... at the old official BAD page/forum... It was then upped to IMCT by tosh or sanjeev I think...

Mick Jones - Amongst Pirate Friends (9/10 master copy)
01. What can I do?
02. When the rain would fall
03. Long Island (march)
04. Long Island (piano)
05. Long Island (strings)
06. Long Island (LP)
07. No Ennio (version)
08. No Ennio (strings)
09. No Ennio (LP)
10. I don't know
11. Instrumental #1 (bass)
12. Instrumental #2 (calm)
13. Instrumental #3 (lite)
14. Instrumental #4 (mood)
15. Instrumental #5 (cut)
16. Instrumental #6 (soul space)
17. Instrumental #7 (girl)
18. Instrumental #8 (acid)
19. Instrumental #9 (horns)
20. Instrumental #10 (girl)
21. Instrumental #11 (yazz)
22. Instrumental #12 (spacy)

track 1-11 - http://www.megaupload.com/?d=VL6T2WM7
track 12-22 - http://www.megaupload.com/?d=YIWM4VXG
(Think the links still work...)

Although the tracklist is somewhat different... same tracks, part from the Rush live thing, which is from a different source...

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

Great story. I think Tosh posted them to IMCT mk I when it was starting out.

esmark
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by esmark »

Inder wrote:Great story. I think Tosh posted them to IMCT mk I when it was starting out.
probably right... great times!!!!

gc84
Corner Soul

Post by gc84 »

Thanks a lot! This is great stuff. I also remember this from the BAD forum and the old if music could talk -- but I had forgotten that story. It's a great story; it worthy of the material. Thanks a lot, mr LA burglar, too! Now I like criminals. :)

The songs with vocals are especially beautiful, I think.

Also, does anybody know if the other guys from BAD 2 where involved with this, or if not, why? I mean "Innocent Child"'s on the same soundtrack, right? And that has all of the band.

esmark
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by esmark »

BAD II was a hired band... This was Mick's own work, innocent child is credited on the album as a a BAD II song, the rest as Mick Jones songs... Guess he didn't need any of them to do these little thingys.

coffeepotman
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by coffeepotman »

Does anyone still have a copy of these gems. I haven't heard them in ages, before the fire that destroyed my CD collection. If you do please upload, I think it would be special as I remember them to be.

TeddyB Not Logged In
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by TeddyB Not Logged In »

esmark wrote:BAD II was a hired band... This was Mick's own work, innocent child is credited on the album as a a BAD II song, the rest as Mick Jones songs... Guess he didn't need any of them to do these little thingys.
I seem to recall that Nick Hawkins helped Mick out on some of this stuff, at least as an mixer/engineer.

MarkyJacobs
Junco Partner

Post by MarkyJacobs »

Long Island is a fantastic song. One of those that I'm never able to listen to just the once!
Last edited by MarkyJacobs on 30 Jul 2016, 10:36pm, edited 1 time in total.

MarkyJacobs
Junco Partner

Post by MarkyJacobs »

MarkyJacobs wrote:Long Island is a fantastic song. One of those that I'm never able to listen to just the once!

MarkyJacobs
Junco Partner

Post by MarkyJacobs »

Or post about just the once! I've done it again! Sorry folks.

esmark
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by esmark »

TeddyB Not Logged In wrote:
29 Jul 2016, 6:29pm
esmark wrote:BAD II was a hired band... This was Mick's own work, innocent child is credited on the album as a a BAD II song, the rest as Mick Jones songs... Guess he didn't need any of them to do these little thingys.
I seem to recall that Nick Hawkins helped Mick out on some of this stuff, at least as an mixer/engineer.
Nick did help out on some (according to Nick), but not credited....

esmark
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by esmark »

MarkyJacobs wrote:
30 Jul 2016, 10:35pm
MarkyJacobs wrote:Long Island is a fantastic song. One of those that I'm never able to listen to just the once!
Indeed!