friggin' iPod

Music/video/real estate bartering area.
rcs
Unknown Immortal

friggin' iPod

Post by rcs »

so, the mrs. has an iPod.. about 18mths old... (i don't own one, but i have to update/add/delete for her - why? "because", that's why)

yesterday, the screen freezes as she is moving through the menu.... can't shut it off, can't move the screen...

finally, after about an hour, battery apparently ran out, as unit shows the following msg:
No battery power remains. Please connect iPod to power.

so, i do that... but now PC doesn't recognize the unit anymore, as i get this msg (pop up warning in my toolbar):
One of the USB devices attached to this computer has malfunctioned, and Windows does not recognize it. For assistance in solving this problem, click this message.
naturally, clicking on the message proves to be worthless.

WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!

see, here's the thing... i don't own an iPod, but apparently this is my problem to solve... why ? because it is... and, if i don't fix it, i can see a new iPod strolling into the house....

i f*ing hate iPods

any help / suggestions ?
If you don't hate the Clash, you don't love them enough - Olaf

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: friggin' iPod

Post by Dr. Medulla »

This probably won't help, but try it anyway. Charge up the iPod some, in spite of the message, then do a hard reset. Hopefully it's just a software issue and you only need to reinstall. If it's hardware, well, you can either pay to fix it or sell it as-is on eBay. :sad:
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Post by BostonBeaneater »

I had a similar problem. Leave it plugged into the PC for a while. I think the iPod unit doesn't have the juice to respond to the computer. I've also solved this problem by plugging it into an outlet rather than a computer.

Good luck.

rcs
Unknown Immortal

Post by rcs »

ok, thanks.... i had it in my PC overnight, so we're closing in on 12hrs.... will leave it in for longer...

also, i'm charging it through my PC, which doesnt have iTunes or iPOD sw on it -- never was a problem before... maybe i should move it to the PC w/ iTurns, etc?

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

rcs wrote:ok, thanks.... i had it in my PC overnight, so we're closing in on 12hrs.... will leave it in for longer...

also, i'm charging it through my PC, which doesnt have iTunes or iPOD sw on it -- never was a problem before... maybe i should move it to the PC w/ iTurns, etc?
I'm a Mac user so my opinion might not apply here, but a Mac will recognize it as an external hard drive if there's no software loaded to recognize it as a music device.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

I would always have to wait hours for my iPod to work after it froze. Turns out mine gets fixed when you press menu and the middle button at the same time for ten seconds.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Silent Majority wrote:I would always have to wait hours for my iPod to work after it froze. Turns out mine gets fixed when you press menu and the middle button at the same time for ten seconds.
Yeah, that's a soft (or is it hard?) reset. Seriously drains the battery, I think. If it happens regularly, it might be worth resetting the iPod back to factory specs and rebuild. If it still keeps happening, it's a mechanical problem.

Spiff
Mostly Nekkid

Post by Spiff »

Tips on reseting iPods:

Classic: http://www.apple.com/support/ipod/five_rs/classic/

Touch: http://www.apple.com/support/ipodtouch/troubleshooting/

Others: http://www.apple.com/support/

Also, were you plugged into a USB port on the keyboard, or the side of a flat screen? Sometimes those don't have enough power to charge iPods and other devices. If that's what you did, you might have better results plugging it in to your box.

Spiff, iPod lover
Let fury have the hour, anger can be power
D'you know that you can use it?

-- There's no fairytale ending with cocaine.

rcs
Unknown Immortal

Post by rcs »

Spiff wrote: Also, were you plugged into a USB port on the keyboard, or the side of a flat screen? Sometimes those don't have enough power to charge iPods and other devices. If that's what you did, you might have better results plugging it in to your box.
4-port USB hub, linked to the USB slot on ThinkPad...

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

I ignored my own rule of avoiding deals that seem too good to be true (US$165) and ordered a refurbished 32GB Touch from a private clearing house last week. I don't need an iPhone—I hate cell phones—but having a device that does everything else is mighty appealing. Being able to keep up with mail and news when away from home but not lugging my laptop, well, that's just the purest heroin.

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Dr. Medulla wrote:I ignored my own rule of avoiding deals that seem too good to be true (US$165) and ordered a refurbished 32GB Touch from a private clearing house last week. I don't need an iPhone—I hate cell phones—but having a device that does everything else is mighty appealing. Being able to keep up with mail and news when away from home but not lugging my laptop, well, that's just the purest heroin.
I'm toying with this notion too. Ali has an iPhone and everything EXCEPT the phone is cool.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Wolter wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:I ignored my own rule of avoiding deals that seem too good to be true (US$165) and ordered a refurbished 32GB Touch from a private clearing house last week. I don't need an iPhone—I hate cell phones—but having a device that does everything else is mighty appealing. Being able to keep up with mail and news when away from home but not lugging my laptop, well, that's just the purest heroin.
I'm toying with this notion too. Ali has an iPhone and everything EXCEPT the phone is cool.
If this deal is on the up and up, I'll show you where I got it.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Wolter wrote:
Hang on, you know Muhammad Ali?
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:
Wolter wrote:
Biblically. :shifty:

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:
Wolter wrote:
Biblically. :shifty:
Well aaaal-right.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"