Wolter wrote:
16 May 2018, 11:49am
WestwayKid wrote:
16 May 2018, 11:28am
Wolter wrote:
13 May 2018, 3:03pm
Inder wrote:
13 May 2018, 12:56pm
I’m the beautiful, fragile 40 year old baby bird they’re crushing.
I'm right in there with you at 41! I once brought up on the Smiley Smile Message Board how I thought many of their songs from the Smiley Smile through Holland period sounded like they could have been released by contemporary indie bands and the 60-70 year old's came down on me like a ton of bricks.
I’m actually almost 42, I just got lazy.
Round numbers always sound better.

BTW - for all BB fans out there - today is the 52nd anniversary of the release of Pet Sounds! :)
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: Flex's Takes: The Beach Boys

Post by Dr. Medulla »

"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

An link in the article:

“RELATED: Noel Gallagher Targets The Beach Boys’ ‘Overrated’ Brian Wilson: ‘I Hate Brian Wilson’”

Talk about projection.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Wolter wrote:
23 Jun 2018, 4:20pm
An link in the article:

“RELATED: Noel Gallagher Targets The Beach Boys’ ‘Overrated’ Brian Wilson: ‘I Hate Brian Wilson’”

Talk about projection.
He's just pissed because he has no idea where Wilson stole all those melodies from.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Silent Majority wrote:
23 Jun 2018, 4:21pm
Wolter wrote:
An link in the article:

Talk about projection.
He's just pissed because he has no idea where Wilson stole all those melodies from.
*zing* :lol:
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
23 Jun 2018, 4:29pm
Silent Majority wrote:
23 Jun 2018, 4:21pm
Wolter wrote:
An link in the article:

Talk about projection.
*zing* :lol:
Noel is an angry man.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

I love that the photo used was from the "Summer of Love"/Baywatch video. Same that my user pic is from.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

matedog wrote:
27 Jun 2018, 5:05pm

I love that the photo used was from the "Summer of Love"/Baywatch video. Same that my user pic is from.
The lack of quality control around the Wilsonfree Beach Boys is shocking, I say, just simply shocking!

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Hey, does anyone here have a lossless reconstruction of 1977's "Merry Christmas From the Beach Boys" unreleased album? Most of the tracks have been released on Beach Boys comps, but a few are still missing, and the links I've found online for various reconstructions seem to be dead for the lossless versions.

Addendum: This is the tracklist for anyone interested: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Merry_Chr ... Beach_Boys
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

coffeepotman
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by coffeepotman »

Anybody hear the The Beach Boys - I Can Hear Music; The 20-20 Sessions (2018)?, it looks like a copyright dump, very enjoyable. Also a live 68 set out too.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Attention Beach Boys experts, your feedback is requested. So, I'm editing a manuscript and there's a small section on hot rod songs. The author mentions Jan & Dean, but calls the Beach Boys the kings of the hot rod song, mainly due to the Little Deuce Coupe album. My immediate reaction was to think that, no, the Beach Boys are associated primarily with surfboards, and it's Jan & Dean who are mainly connected to hot rods. Am I off-base?

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
14 Mar 2019, 6:46pm
Attention Beach Boys experts, your feedback is requested. So, I'm editing a manuscript and there's a small section on hot rod songs. The author mentions Jan & Dean, but calls the Beach Boys the kings of the hot rod song, mainly due to the Little Deuce Coupe album. My immediate reaction was to think that, no, the Beach Boys are associated primarily with surfboards, and it's Jan & Dean who are mainly connected to hot rods. Am I off-base?
I always thought of Jan and Dean and The Beach Boys as occupying the same areas but The Beach Boys being far more successful at both.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Wolter wrote:
14 Mar 2019, 8:27pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
14 Mar 2019, 6:46pm
I always thought of Jan and Dean and The Beach Boys as occupying the same areas but The Beach Boys being far more successful at both.
Definitely, they're peers, tho obviously the BBs were much more ambitious and better. But, just to confirm, you think the BBs are the better hot rod song band?

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

wise-ass answer: obviously, the real hot rod band is Edie & the Hod-Rods.

Real answer: I always thought of hot rod music as more instrumental stuff kinda like surf rock (the beach boys sing about surfing but most of their music isn't surf rock - they sing about cars but most of their music isn't hot rod music).

From Allmusic:
Hot Rod is simple, instrumental music that sounds exactly like surf rock -- the only difference is, hot rod has the sound of revving engines and screeching tires overdubbed above the cascading music. There were no national hot rod hits -- the Beach Boys and Jan & Dean may have sung about cars, but those were rock songs, not hot rodding songs -- but it was a cult favorite during the early '60s and it maintained a following for several decades. Once the CD reissue boom began mining the vaults for obscurities in the early '90s, hot rod earned a new cult audience among rock collectors, as rarities and long out-of-print hot rod records were reissued on labels like Sundazed, One Way, and Del-Fi.
Link: https://www.allmusic.com/style/hot-rod-ma0000011857
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
14 Mar 2019, 9:04pm
wise-ass answer: obviously, the real hot rod band is Edie & the Hod-Rods.

Real answer: I always thought of hot rod music as more instrumental stuff kinda like surf rock (the beach boys sing about surfing but most of their music isn't surf rock - they sing about cars but most of their music isn't hot rod music).

From Allmusic:
Hot Rod is simple, instrumental music that sounds exactly like surf rock -- the only difference is, hot rod has the sound of revving engines and screeching tires overdubbed above the cascading music. There were no national hot rod hits -- the Beach Boys and Jan & Dean may have sung about cars, but those were rock songs, not hot rodding songs -- but it was a cult favorite during the early '60s and it maintained a following for several decades. Once the CD reissue boom began mining the vaults for obscurities in the early '90s, hot rod earned a new cult audience among rock collectors, as rarities and long out-of-print hot rod records were reissued on labels like Sundazed, One Way, and Del-Fi.
Link: https://www.allmusic.com/style/hot-rod-ma0000011857
Huh. So that sounds like a cross between surf rock and garage rock. It's a weird thing, when you think about it, to say that surf music and hot rod music are basically the same thing. There's little aesthetic connection between the two activities. But it does cement the idea of white, middle-class luxury and leisure. It could be argued that, far more than Elvis or the Beatles, the Beach Boys established that rock n roll was for successful white kids.