NEW JOE STRUMMER ANTHOLOGY?

Joe Strummer discussion forum. Latino Rockabilly War, Mescaleros and more!
Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Re: NEW JOE STRUMMER ANTHOLOGY?

Post by Wolter »

Marky Dread wrote:
01 Jul 2018, 8:31am
Jimmy Jazz wrote:
30 Jun 2018, 11:27pm
Marky Dread wrote:
29 Jun 2018, 6:56pm
Jimmy Jazz wrote:
29 Jun 2018, 12:08pm
laxman wrote:
29 Jun 2018, 8:15am
I hope the 001 is a prelude to more, rather than a Story of the Clash Vol 1 joke!
Damn I thought for sure it was the former but now you have me wondering!

Looks like a great set. Those three songs from the When Pigs Fly sessions are some of my favorites, it will be nice to have those in good quality.
They have long since been available in priteen quality mate. Uploaded here a couple of times.
Not the song "When Pigs Fly" though right? I could have missed another upgrade but a while back I actually originally uploaded the rips of "Pouring Rain" and "Rose of Erin" from the movie which were big upgrades but still could be better. They were in mono and have some sound effects from the movie over them -- seagulls in "Pouring Rain" and a car at the start of "Rose of Erin."
Yes mate all in great quality.
https://mega.nz/#!XxlmWAqK!hz2CTctmc5T_ ... arm9-61S4Q
I actually missed this too!
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Wolter wrote:
01 Jul 2018, 10:11am
Marky Dread wrote:
Jimmy Jazz wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Jimmy Jazz wrote:

Looks like a great set. Those three songs from the When Pigs Fly sessions are some of my favorites, it will be nice to have those in good quality.
They have long since been available in priteen quality mate. Uploaded here a couple of times.
Not the song "When Pigs Fly" though right? I could have missed another upgrade but a while back I actually originally uploaded the rips of "Pouring Rain" and "Rose of Erin" from the movie which were big upgrades but still could be better. They were in mono and have some sound effects from the movie over them -- seagulls in "Pouring Rain" and a car at the start of "Rose of Erin."
I actually missed this too!
They were uploaded as b-sides & rarities in a big file.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

JohnS
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by JohnS »

This all very exciting... and great to know this project which was first mentioned in an interview with Joe's widow years ago is coming to fruition. And I like the suggestion that there may be more volumes to come, although I'm not holding my breath.

Interesting to see that the 'Rock Art...' album track Sandpaper Blues is listed as being from the compilation album of the same name, released 1995. And it was credited there as being by the name 'Radar' - although I have the Sandpaper Blues set on CDRs and it's the same as the Mescaleros version. Joe obviously let his mate use the song for his Sandpaper Blues project, long before the Mescaleros album appeared. Maybe he chose a pseudonym for legal reasons or something.

https://flashbak.com/joe-strummers-wild ... es-364975/

Info on the album here - and yes all the songs are the same title, but completely different. It's not all covers of one song:
https://www.discogs.com/Various-Sandpap ... e/11873815

It was a 2CD set I think - I've never seen a real copy, I have it spread over 3 CDRs - although my version has a different running order; the first track is Wayne Kramer's, so CD1 is actually track 16 through to track 35 (Trojans); CD2 is track 1 (Joe) through to track 15 (Maria McKee) and then mine has an extra track by 'M. C. Harg', a country tune about being an artist working with wood/ sandpaper, which I assume is Gordon McHarg himself?
Ignore Alien Hors d'oeuvres

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

JohnS wrote:
01 Jul 2018, 1:54pm
This all very exciting... and great to know this project which was first mentioned in an interview with Joe's widow years ago is coming to fruition. And I like the suggestion that there may be more volumes to come, although I'm not holding my breath.

Interesting to see that the 'Rock Art...' album track Sandpaper Blues is listed as being from the compilation album of the same name, released 1995. And it was credited there as being by the name 'Radar' - although I have the Sandpaper Blues set on CDRs and it's the same as the Mescaleros version. Joe obviously let his mate use the song for his Sandpaper Blues project, long before the Mescaleros album appeared. Maybe he chose a pseudonym for legal reasons or something.

https://flashbak.com/joe-strummers-wild ... es-364975/

Info on the album here - and yes all the songs are the same title, but completely different. It's not all covers of one song:
https://www.discogs.com/Various-Sandpap ... e/11873815

It was a 2CD set I think - I've never seen a real copy, I have it spread over 3 CDRs - although my version has a different running order; the first track is Wayne Kramer's, so CD1 is actually track 16 through to track 35 (Trojans); CD2 is track 1 (Joe) through to track 15 (Maria McKee) and then mine has an extra track by 'M. C. Harg', a country tune about being an artist working with wood/ sandpaper, which I assume is Gordon McHarg himself?
I thought the Radar track was Joe and Richard Norris pre Mescaleros before they parted ways.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Carpentologist
Dirty Punk

Post by Carpentologist »

20,000 articles in the archive?

How exciting!

dave202
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by dave202 »

Heston wrote:
27 Jun 2018, 1:24pm
You are all savages. I didn't know how to spell anthologize and curate was the next best thing. Right, I'm off for a caviar sandwich.
Caviar sandwich, brown bread, and margarine. Butter wouldn't work.

dave202
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by dave202 »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
29 Jun 2018, 12:12pm
What's really funny about the dumb "rebellion into money" barb is that of all the notable bands from that period, the Clash have been notably averse to releasing rehashed compilations. We get a new Sex Pistols best-of or Bollocks release seemingly every two years and the Fall were legendary in slapping together odd mixes and live cuts every few months. Joe's been dead for fifteen-plus years and this is the first proper summary release. Just milking that cow, huh?
Haven't there been two Singles compilations, This Is The Story Of The Clash Vol. 1, The Clash On Broadway, The 12" Singles one, a Black Market Clash, a Super Black Market Clash, a Hits and Sound System? Averse?

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Black Market Clash was released in, what, 1980? I actually think the list of comps is pretty small given that it's an almost 4 decade run. And a fair few of those have been pretty decent value-adds. BMC and SBMC, particularly, should be used as examples of how much the band were trying to provide quality releases for their fans
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Jimmy Jazz
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Jimmy Jazz »

Marky Dread wrote:
Jimmy Jazz wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Jimmy Jazz wrote:
laxman wrote:
29 Jun 2018, 8:15am
I hope the 001 is a prelude to more, rather than a Story of the Clash Vol 1 joke!

Thanks!

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Jimmy Jazz wrote:
02 Jul 2018, 10:45am
Marky Dread wrote:
Jimmy Jazz wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Jimmy Jazz wrote:

Thanks!
No problem that'll be $10. 🙄

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

dave202 wrote:
02 Jul 2018, 10:15am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
What's really funny about the dumb "rebellion into money" barb is that of all the notable bands from that period, the Clash have been notably averse to releasing rehashed compilations. We get a new Sex Pistols best-of or Bollocks release seemingly every two years and the Fall were legendary in slapping together odd mixes and live cuts every few months. Joe's been dead for fifteen-plus years and this is the first proper summary release. Just milking that cow, huh?
Haven't there been two Singles compilations, This Is The Story Of The Clash Vol. 1, The Clash On Broadway, The 12" Singles one, a Black Market Clash, a Super Black Market Clash, a Hits and Sound System? Averse?
I ain't saying they haven't done the compilation thing a few times. It's compared to other acts of their stature and even those with less popularity. Hasn't it pretty much been a settled topic around here that the Clash haven't been that attentive to their legacy (at least until Sound System)?
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
02 Jul 2018, 11:47am
dave202 wrote:
02 Jul 2018, 10:15am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
I ain't saying they haven't done the compilation thing a few times. It's compared to other acts of their stature and even those with less popularity. Hasn't it pretty much been a settled topic around here that the Clash haven't been that attentive to their legacy (at least until Sound System)?
Yes and that's the problem. You are correct regards the amount of comps compared to other acts. But that don't bother me as lets face you don't have to buy it . The problem I have is reissuing stuff with little extras making the product more interesting. If its just another comp then you can avoid but if it's like the COB box then you want it just for 6 or 7 tracks you don't have. 6 or 7 tracks is not even a full cds worth of music but you still want those tracks. Of course you can get them as downloads nowadays but that has not always been the case.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
02 Jul 2018, 12:01pm
Yes and that's the problem. You are correct regards the amount of comps compared to other acts. But that don't bother me as lets face you don't have to buy it . The problem I have is reissuing stuff with little extras making the product more interesting. If its just another comp then you can avoid but if it's like the COB box then you want it just for 6 or 7 tracks you don't have. 6 or 7 tracks is not even a full cds worth of music but you still want those tracks. Of course you can get them as downloads nowadays but that has not always been the case.
The downloading of selected tracks is the way out of the trap, as you suggest, but there are always hardcore fans who need to have the physical object. There is no perfect solution that satisfies all interests. On the whole, the Clash have not been as abusive to the hardcore fan who needs to have everything and is willing to pay, say, $50 for what amounts to an unheard mix of one song and the demo of another.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
02 Jul 2018, 12:18pm
Marky Dread wrote:
02 Jul 2018, 12:01pm
The downloading of selected tracks is the way out of the trap, as you suggest, but there are always hardcore fans who need to have the physical object. There is no perfect solution that satisfies all interests. On the whole, the Clash have not been as abusive to the hardcore fan who needs to have everything and is willing to pay, say, $50 for what amounts to an unheard mix of one song and the demo of another.
That's my point I disagree I think we Clash fans have not done so well as say The Jam fans. The Jam have put out endless hits packages more than 30 I think but you can simply avoid those. But in the same breath look at their remastered and reissued back catalogue with box sets containing fantastic live sets and demos/outtakes galore. The Clash pale by comparrison. The Sound System box was very nice but there was not an amazing amount of unheard stuff on there and there could have been much more. Rat Patrol complete and the Lewisham gig etc blah blah blah.

Who is the box aimed at if not the hardened fan. Is a casual fan who likes LC going to buy such a package? I doubt it. The Jam also put out the marvellous Fire & Skill live box set. Now my remasters are all well and good working with the material I can find and folks here seem to lap them up. But an official box of live sets could be released and they Clash/Sony must have better sounding source tapes surely. If they exist let's have them not let them rot away in some archive waiting for some Heston boffing to come along and curate them ready for the museum.

The last line of my post is obviously not aimed at you Doc. ;)

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
02 Jul 2018, 12:46pm
Who is the box aimed at if not the hardened fan. Is a casual fan who likes LC going to buy such a package? I doubt it.
Is this actually true? I've understood box sets are aimed at those looking for the instant collection in one easy package. The extra obscurities are there to rope in the obsessive. When you have only a song or two, it's easy to see value for the money in a box set; when you have almost everything there ten times over, that's when you feel ripped off. It's the deluxe or super deluxe reissues of individual albums that I think are aimed at the serious fan. You get the original album, maybe remastered, plus an additional disc or three of demos, mixes, and/or live cuts.