Whatcha reading?

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Re: Whatcha reading?

Post by BostonBeaneater »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
12 Sep 2018, 9:07pm
Almost done Fletch—it's entertaining enough but more than a bit contrived, and the title character is a dink—so tomorrow I'll be embracing my inner SM by engaging with an audiobook about a lesser US president. I've had this one at the back of the queue forever but on a whim promoted it today.
I’m gonna do some research and pick my ugliest president award. JQA is a candidate for sure. Lincoln was not an attractive man. Jimmy Carter looked like a hound dog. I thought we’d be firmly in a handsome president era with TV and all until Trump came along.

BostonBeaneater

BostonBeaneater wrote:
01 Oct 2018, 7:06pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
12 Sep 2018, 9:07pm
Almost done Fletch—it's entertaining enough but more than a bit contrived, and the title character is a dink—so tomorrow I'll be embracing my inner SM by engaging with an audiobook about a lesser US president. I've had this one at the back of the queue forever but on a whim promoted it today.
I’m gonna do some research and pick my ugliest president award. JQA is a candidate for sure. Lincoln was not an attractive man. Jimmy Carter looked like a hound dog. I thought we’d be firmly in a handsome president era with TV and all until Trump came along.
I can’t really agree with this list. Gerry Ford was a handsome man and I could stare at Reagan all day.

https://hottestheadsofstate.com/us-presidents/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
Lincoln seems like he should win that one hands down, yet there's something haunting about him—his eyes, I think—that turns hideousness into something mesmerizing and appealing. I don't think I'm being romantic and all about Lincoln as I don't subscribe to him being this god-on-earth kind of guy. But there's an odd mix of torture and serenity in that face.

I'll nominate Martin Van Buren—a goofy Dutch dork.

For handsomest, I go to with Harding. The guy was fucking picked by his party because he looked like a president.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

BostonBeaneater

Dr. Medulla wrote:
01 Oct 2018, 7:15pm
BostonBeaneater wrote:
Lincoln seems like he should win that one hands down, yet there's something haunting about him—his eyes, I think—that turns hideousness into something mesmerizing and appealing. I don't think I'm being romantic and all about Lincoln as I don't subscribe to him being this god-on-earth kind of guy. But there's an odd mix of torture and serenity in that face.

I'll nominate Martin Van Buren—a goofy Dutch dork.

For handsomest, I go to with Harding. The guy was fucking picked by his party because he looked like a president.
William Henry Harrison had that premie baby hair. You just want to wash him. This is a good discussion. Let’s keep it going. I can wait for the ugliest First Lady contest.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Tangent: While I don't have much use for JFK, his portrait generates the kind of gravitas and tragedy that he didn't actually merit. For framing a desired legacy, it's superb.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Also, this JQ Adams book is really dull. Yeah, yeah, he's the one principled figure of his age, surrounded by knaves.

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
01 Oct 2018, 7:48pm
Also, this JQ Adams book is really dull. Yeah, yeah, he's the one principled figure of his age, surrounded by knaves.
Yeah. And the knaves were interesting.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Wolter wrote:
01 Oct 2018, 8:43pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
I AM IN YOUR FUCKING NIGHTMARES!

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
01 Oct 2018, 8:51pm
Wolter wrote:
01 Oct 2018, 8:43pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
I AM IN YOUR FUCKING NIGHTMARES!
His baleful glare is a specter haunting SC politics to this day.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

BostonBeaneater

Dr. Medulla wrote:
01 Oct 2018, 7:41pm
Tangent: While I don't have much use for JFK, his portrait generates the kind of gravitas and tragedy that he didn't actually merit. For framing a desired legacy, it's superb.
Did you know they just cleaned the limo and put it back into service? That’s fiscal conservatism.

Rat Patrol
Unknown Immortal

Post by Rat Patrol »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
You're just saying that because he wrote such prolific smut during his Preznitzee and had the most creative name for his dong: https://www.politico.com/magazine/story ... dal-121404. :naughty:

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

The best looking was Franklin Pierce, the least attractive was Herbert Hoover.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Rat Patrol wrote:
02 Oct 2018, 12:22am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
You're just saying that because he wrote such prolific smut during his Preznitzee and had the most creative name for his dong: https://www.politico.com/magazine/story ... dal-121404. :naughty:
I do like Arthur Schlesinger Jr's line that Harding would be remembered fondly as one of America's worst presidents.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
02 Oct 2018, 12:02am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Did you know they just cleaned the limo and put it back into service? That’s fiscal conservatism.
I just noticed something about the Kennedy portrait: What the fuck is happening with his left arm/wrist? Was he secretly Plastic Man?

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
02 Oct 2018, 6:17am
BostonBeaneater wrote:
02 Oct 2018, 12:02am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
I just noticed something about the Kennedy portrait: What the fuck is happening with his left arm/wrist? Was he secretly Plastic Man?
Hah. That's some Pre-Raphaelite perspective right there.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/