Kory
Unknown Immortal

Re: Rare CD shopping

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
02 Nov 2018, 11:01am
Kory wrote:
01 Nov 2018, 11:20pm
The CD is from Clark, called Throttle Monolith. I think they only made 1500 of them, and they came as a bonus with his second album, but only in Japan. I have tried a couple of Japanese outlets, plus all the brick and mortar stores both around me and in other states via their websites, but nobody has one, not even for those crazy thousand dollar prices you see on Amazon sometimes. Thanks for keeping an eye out, anyone that has it in mind when they're out and about!

https://www.discogs.com/Clark-Throttle- ... e/12315247
Additional thought: At the discogs link, there are two members shown as having it, tho only one makes its identity known. Have you contacted that one?
Is it considered bad form to ask someone to sell something they don't have explicitly for sale? I've never done that before. As for contacting the artist, a definite longshot to even get through to him, but it's worth a shot.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
02 Nov 2018, 1:03pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
The CD is from Clark, called Throttle Monolith. I think they only made 1500 of them, and they came as a bonus with his second album, but only in Japan. I have tried a couple of Japanese outlets, plus all the brick and mortar stores both around me and in other states via their websites, but nobody has one, not even for those crazy thousand dollar prices you see on Amazon sometimes. Thanks for keeping an eye out, anyone that has it in mind when they're out and about!

Additional thought: At the discogs link, there are two members shown as having it, tho only one makes its identity known. Have you contacted that one?
Is it considered bad form to ask someone to sell something they don't have explicitly for sale? I've never done that before. As for contacting the artist, a definite longshot to even get through to him, but it's worth a shot.
I assumed that if you say you have it, you're inviting people to inquire (or acknowledge your coolness). Worst thing that might happen is the guy tells you to fuck off. If the person is like me, they'd be fine with keeping a cd-r for themselves, making a few bucks, and helping out a fellow fan.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
02 Nov 2018, 1:41pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:

I assumed that if you say you have it, you're inviting people to inquire (or acknowledge your coolness). Worst thing that might happen is the guy tells you to fuck off. If the person is like me, they'd be fine with keeping a cd-r for themselves, making a few bucks, and helping out a fellow fan.
Well thanks for the keen eye, I didn't even notice that section on the page. I'll see if he's open to a sale. Unfortunately, he may be aware of the rarity and jack up the price like crazy but it's worth a try.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Kory wrote:
02 Nov 2018, 1:42pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
02 Nov 2018, 1:41pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:

Well thanks for the keen eye, I didn't even notice that section on the page. I'll see if he's open to a sale. Unfortunately, he may be aware of the rarity and jack up the price like crazy but it's worth a try.
As a vinyl collector I can tell you prices are through the roof if the seller gets a whiff that it is in demand. The internet has thrown the market wide open to shop for this stuff however it has also blown the prices out of proportion as the buyers who don’t care about the cost just buy everything at the inflated price as it is easy to find.
There is a 7” single I am after at the moment. There are 4 for sale on various sites but all at ridiculous prices. They don’t sell and get relisted over and over which tells me the market is saying the price is too high.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

101Walterton wrote:
02 Nov 2018, 4:06pm
There is a 7” single I am after at the moment. There are 4 for sale on various sites but all at ridiculous prices. They don’t sell and get relisted over and over which tells me the market is saying the price is too high.
Doesn't hurt to contact the sellers and say, "Here's what I'm willing to pay. If you're willing to come down there, you've got a deal." The seller has their ideal price, but they might be misreading the market and need someone to correct them.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
02 Nov 2018, 7:17pm
101Walterton wrote:
Doesn't hurt to contact the sellers and say, "Here's what I'm willing to pay. If you're willing to come down there, you've got a deal." The seller has their ideal price, but they might be misreading the market and need someone to correct them.
Good idea will give it a go. You would think it would be better than continually delisting every few weeks.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

101Walterton wrote:
02 Nov 2018, 7:58pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
Good idea will give it a go. You would think it would be better than continually delisting every few weeks.
I'm big on just contacting seller if the official way isn't working. Years and years ago, a guy was selling a very limited edition Colin Newman cd on eBay. I didn't win the auction, but emailed him afterwards to see if he'd be willing to sell a cd-r of the disc (I wanted the music, not the physical disc). He did it for free, as one Wire fan to another, and we ended up being pretty decent friends. There are certainly money-grubbing swine out there, but music fans tend to be decent to each other.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
02 Nov 2018, 8:17pm
101Walterton wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
I'm big on just contacting seller if the official way isn't working. Years and years ago, a guy was selling a very limited edition Colin Newman cd on eBay. I didn't win the auction, but emailed him afterwards to see if he'd be willing to sell a cd-r of the disc (I wanted the music, not the physical disc). He did it for free, as one Wire fan to another, and we ended up being pretty decent friends. There are certainly money-grubbing swine out there, but music fans tend to be decent to each other.
Interesting experiment. There are 3 for sale currently on EBay, two for sale at £100 and one at £150!!! I am going to message all three now and see if they will take an offer.

Edit: didn’t bother with £150 guy as even if he takes £50 off it will be same as other 2.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

101Walterton wrote:
02 Nov 2018, 8:24pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
Interesting experiment. There are 3 for sale currently on EBay, two for sale at £100 and one at £150!!! I am going to message all three now and see if they will take an offer.

Edit: didn’t bother with £150 guy as even if he takes £50 off it will be same as other 2.
Very interested to see if you get someone ready to horse trade. At the very worst, you find out that it's not worth even following those guys.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Welp:
Hello and thank you for your message.

Unfortunately, we do not have such item for sale at our store.

We apologize for any inconvenience caused and we beg for your understanding.

Do not hesitate to send your questions and comments.

Regards,
discsjapan

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
02 Nov 2018, 8:34pm
101Walterton wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Very interested to see if you get someone ready to horse trade. At the very worst, you find out that it's not worth even following those guys.
Both sellers past history indicates they are commercial dealers but I had a response as such from both.
From one I got this reply:

“Hi there.
Thank you for your order.
We can you offer a 10% discount.
Kind regards,”

Obviously I hadn’t made an order just asked the question.
The item didn’t sell and has been relisted at the same price £103.

The second seller didn’t reply but did put a Buy Now option on the auction with a price of £90 which I think was about £10 or 10% off. It didn’t sell either.

The third seller I didn’t bother contacting still has the record for sale with a Buy Now £150!! Obviously no takers.

So yes both did offer a discount albeit nowhere near as much as I wanted. I might try again and offer a price.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
08 Nov 2018, 2:09pm
Welp:
Hello and thank you for your message.

Unfortunately, we do not have such item for sale at our store.

We apologize for any inconvenience caused and we beg for your understanding.

Do not hesitate to send your questions and comments.

Regards,
discsjapan
You should sue!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

101Walterton wrote:
08 Nov 2018, 2:56pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
02 Nov 2018, 8:34pm
101Walterton wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
101Walterton wrote:

Both sellers past history indicates they are commercial dealers but I had a response as such from both.
From one I got this reply:

“Hi there.
Thank you for your order.
We can you offer a 10% discount.
Kind regards,”

Obviously I hadn’t made an order just asked the question.
The item didn’t sell and has been relisted at the same price £103.

The second seller didn’t reply but did put a Buy Now option on the auction with a price of £90 which I think was about £10 or 10% off. It didn’t sell either.

The third seller I didn’t bother contacting still has the record for sale with a Buy Now £150!! Obviously no takers.

So yes both did offer a discount albeit nowhere near as much as I wanted. I might try again and offer a price.
Well, you learned that there is some wiggle room. Reminds me of a joke attributed to George Bernard Shaw. He was at a party and asked a woman to go to bed with him. Appalled, she said never. He said, what about for a million dollars? She paused and then said okay. He replied, what about for a hundred dollars? She said that he had just offered a million dollars. He replied that she'd now established what kind of person she was and now it was about haggling. So, yeah, offer your price and tell them that it's an open offer and they can contact you should they change their mind.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Every now and then you still get a seller that isn’t as clued up (or greedy whichever way you look at it). I missed out in an auction last week for a 7” that hadn’t sold on line for a year. Two days after the auction someone listed another copy on EBay with a Buy Now price lower than my top offer for the one I missed out on. I bought it :approve:

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

101Walterton wrote:
08 Nov 2018, 3:32pm
Every now and then you still get a seller that isn’t as clued up (or greedy whichever way you look at it). I missed out in an auction last week for a 7” that hadn’t sold on line for a year. Two days after the auction someone listed another copy on EBay with a Buy Now price lower than my top offer for the one I missed out on. I bought it :approve:
The marketplace is, in fact, very uneven. More dumb luck than anything else.