‘Yauch taught Mick Jones how to play Clash City Rockers’

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: ‘Yauch taught Mick Jones how to play Clash City Rockers’

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:
23 Oct 2018, 6:36pm
Marky Dread wrote:
23 Oct 2018, 3:07pm
Kory wrote:
22 Oct 2018, 5:14pm
It's so weird how much Lydon harps on about hating the Clash but it seems like he hung out with them plenty.
John was always friends with Paul. And he is kind about Mick.

It's only Joe he had a problem with. When he mentions the Clash he means Joe and the bands music. And the stuff about Joe however biting it may seem in an interview is not really bitter but just bIanter. I don't think a lot of Americans (not all) ever get this about the English we like giving each other stick and taking the piss. A lot of what seems like baiting is only banter.
I saw an unguarded interview on YouTube a while back with some fans after a gig and he was really quite cutting about Strummer and it seemed sad and unnecessary. I honestly think he is jealous of the way the Clash's legend has risen over the years, maybe not to surpass the Pistols, but to put them on an equal footing.
Bingo. While Marky's correct that a fair amount of it with Lydon is banter (and persona), he's status conscious, and he's proud (rightfully so) of what the Pistols did. But with that he can be rather petty in his criticism of others, to diminish them as a way, I suspect, of maintaining his status. I recall him saying that the Pistols were really never part of any punk community. There were all the others and there was the Pistols (with a subtext of the others as riding on the Pistols' shirttails). John and Joe, the Pistols and the Clash, had different approaches and are remembered differently because of it. There's no hierarchy other than personal preference.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
23 Oct 2018, 6:50pm
Heston wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Kory wrote:
It's so weird how much Lydon harps on about hating the Clash but it seems like he hung out with them plenty.

It's only Joe he had a problem with. When he mentions the Clash he means Joe and the bands music. And the stuff about Joe however biting it may seem in an interview is not really bitter but just bIanter. I don't think a lot of Americans (not all) ever get this about the English we like giving each other stick and taking the piss. A lot of what seems like baiting is only banter.
I saw an unguarded interview on YouTube a while back with some fans after a gig and he was really quite cutting about Strummer and it seemed sad and unnecessary. I honestly think he is jealous of the way the Clash's legend has risen over the years, maybe not to surpass the Pistols, but to put them on an equal footing.
Bingo. While Marky's correct that a fair amount of it with Lydon is banter (and persona), he's status conscious, and he's proud (rightfully so) of what the Pistols did. But with that he can be rather petty in his criticism of others, to diminish them as a way, I suspect, of maintaining his status. I recall him saying that the Pistols were really never part of any punk community. There were all the others and there was the Pistols (with a subtext of the others as riding on the Pistols' shirttails). John and Joe, the Pistols and the Clash, had different approaches and are remembered differently because of it. There's no hierarchy other than personal preference.
Yep I think what he said was that the Pistols were punk and the rest were just punk rock. Somehow giving the Pistols top ranking.

He always called The Clash "The Clap" to which a friend of mine always says "that's rich coming from a band called the Sex Pissole's.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Marky Dread wrote:
23 Oct 2018, 6:49pm
Heston wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Kory wrote:

I've not seen that interview. But it really doesn't surprise me in the least. It's very tiresome and John is like a caricature of his former self these days.

I know John has never liked The Clash's music just like he hates The Beatles music. I know he had a thing about Joe coming from a priveledged background and then think's somehow he gave Joe a career. Which is total nonsense really sure Joe took inspiration from seeing the Pistols but he had a fucking big heart and courage to make that jump into the unknown. Like I said to doc in another thread I'm happy with the music and I don't have to care about the person letting me down. Plus there were five Sex Pistols.
Oh yeah, the great music is untainted by one band member's shitty attitude many years later. I like loads of music made by people who are total arseholes.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Dunster
Dirty Punk

Post by Dunster »

I suppose the cool-ass German lady is Johnny's wife Nora.
lydonnoraforster190.jpg
lydonnoraforster190.jpg (48.87 KiB) Viewed 2051 times

deny
Long Time Jerk

Post by deny »

I always thought that John was just a wind-up merchant tbh He certainly fucked off his own crowd with his fairly recent comments on Brexit.
However his many comments about the Clash & Joe have struck me as pure jealousy. I do find it in poor taste the comments that John has made about Joe since his death. In my opinion it reflects terribly on him.
The fact of the matter is that the Clash are very widely better thought of than the Sex Pistols in all ways- Steve Jones has acknowledged this.
Why the Clash still suck up to the Pistols still is beyond me.
Joining the Street Parade

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dunster wrote:
10 Nov 2018, 4:26pm

lydonnoraforster190.jpg
I saw an interview with John recently where he talks about his weight issues. He said a lot of it is down to stress as Nora is suffering with dementia and also two of John's brothers have been diagnosed with cancer.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Marky Dread wrote:
10 Nov 2018, 8:37pm
Dunster wrote:
10 Nov 2018, 4:26pm

lydonnoraforster190.jpg
I saw an interview with John recently where he talks about his weight issues. He said a lot of it is down to stress as Nora is suffering with dementia and also two of John's brothers have been diagnosed with cancer.
Ah man. A previous interview I read alluded vaguely to some health problems in the family—that really sucks.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc