Hey Flex (All Encompassing 90's Glorification)

General music discussion.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: Hey Flex (All Encompassing 90's Glorification)

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
14 Dec 2018, 9:02pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
14 Dec 2018, 8:35pm
Wolter wrote:
14 Dec 2018, 8:27pm
I quite liked Jawbox.
Me too. Even tho they represent the sell-out/collapse of the DC scene in the early 90s, well, this ain't your daddy's sell-out.
I am also a fan.
Let us celebrate this coming together by dispatching Hoy to the bottom of the nearest and deepest gorge with his Papa Roach cd's.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
14 Dec 2018, 10:54pm
Kory wrote:
14 Dec 2018, 9:02pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
14 Dec 2018, 8:35pm
Wolter wrote:
14 Dec 2018, 8:27pm
I quite liked Jawbox.
Me too. Even tho they represent the sell-out/collapse of the DC scene in the early 90s, well, this ain't your daddy's sell-out.
I am also a fan.
Let us celebrate this coming together by dispatching Hoy to the bottom of the nearest and deepest gorge with his Papa Roach cd's.
Make him take his Eve 6 too.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Hoy (or anyone else, but Hoy seems the one to ask), can you recommend a Justin Timberlake playlist for me to put together and start listening to in advance of me taking The Lady to see him live this month? Not really my bag, but I figured if I'm gonna see him then I should make an effort to connect with the music a bit ahead of time. Any song recc's appreciated!
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Flex wrote:
02 Jan 2019, 12:29pm
Hoy (or anyone else, but Hoy seems the one to ask), can you recommend a Justin Timberlake playlist for me to put together and start listening to in advance of me taking The Lady to see him live this month? Not really my bag, but I figured if I'm gonna see him then I should make an effort to connect with the music a bit ahead of time. Any song recc's appreciated!
You are a good spouse. I refused to see Van Hagar with Van Hagar a few years back.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

JennyB wrote:
02 Jan 2019, 12:39pm
Flex wrote:
You are a good spouse. I refused to see Van Hagar with Van Hagar a few years back.
I love the evolution of a relationship, from the vital importance of doing things together to the enjoyment of doing things together to the doing things of common interest together to the pleasures of doing things separately.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
02 Jan 2019, 1:24pm
JennyB wrote:
Flex wrote:
I love the evolution of a relationship, from the vital importance of doing things together to the enjoyment of doing things together to the doing things of common interest together to the pleasures of doing things separately.
Yeah, I mean at some point there's just things where you agree to disagree. There's plenty of artists I like that my wife dislikes or would dislike if exposed to them. And vice versa. And why would I want to drag/guilt her to see something she wont enjoy when she could be happy just doing something else for a few hours. And obviously that goes for me too. It makes going to the things you both enjoy better.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
02 Jan 2019, 1:29pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
02 Jan 2019, 1:24pm
JennyB wrote:
Flex wrote:
Yeah, I mean at some point there's just things where you agree to disagree. There's plenty of artists I like that my wife dislikes or would dislike if exposed to them. And vice versa. And why would I want to drag/guilt her to see something she wont enjoy when she could be happy just doing something else for a few hours. And obviously that goes for me too. It makes going to the things you both enjoy better.
That's the thing that is often missed by young 'uns in love who regard those latter stages as sad. I'm such an introvert that when I do go out with B, she knows I want to be there. Mind you, she also knows that if it's important, I'll be there.

Flex

Post by Flex »

i don't think any of those JT songs you guys are talking about are streaming on Tidal.

Addendum: There's an "Essentials" playlist at work that I've been listening to this morning: https://tidal.com/playlist/92e39a2a-1af ... eacdf9b15e

A couple of good earworm-y tracks, mostly it's sort of rolling into my ears and out my brain without impact, but I just listened to "Rock Your Body" and it made me think "wow, this is awful." He mostly seems his best with one-off singles and high-powered collaborations.

Pex Lives!

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Flex wrote:
02 Jan 2019, 1:48pm
i don't think any of those JT songs you guys are talking about are streaming on Tidal.
They're the ones he has written yet because his relationship to 7th Heaven girl is too new.

I find his vocals to be rather off putting.

Flex

Post by Flex »

UPDATE: 36 justin timberlake songs is too many justin timberlake songs

Pex Lives!

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Flex wrote:
02 Jan 2019, 1:48pm

Addendum: There's an "Essentials" playlist at work that I've been listening to this morning: https://tidal.com/playlist/92e39a2a-1af ... eacdf9b15e

A couple of good earworm-y tracks, mostly it's sort of rolling into my ears and out my brain without impact, but I just listened to "Rock Your Body" and it made me think "wow, this is awful." He mostly seems his best with one-off singles and high-powered collaborations.
I think I only like Can't Stop the Feeling.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
02 Jan 2019, 3:22pm
UPDATE: 36 justin timberlake songs is too many justin timberlake songs
2 January 2019: The day Flex went mad.

Flex

Post by Flex »

Silent Majority wrote:
02 Jan 2019, 3:22pm
I think I only like Can't Stop the Feeling.
That is, by far, the best song I've heard so far. Genuinely danceable. Second best so far is the song he does with Snoop Dogg. 23 songs in and I'm not sure I have an opinion about third best.

Addendum: Oh, Dick in a Box is #3. Maybe even #2.

Pex Lives!

Flex

Post by Flex »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
02 Jan 2019, 3:23pm
2 January 2019: The day Flex went mad.
write it on my tombstone.

Pex Lives!

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

There's like five good JT songs. I don't know any deep cuts though, we're not talking 1D here. Cry Me a River is great and an amazing music video.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.