Music opinion/question of the week...

General music discussion.
revbob
Unknown Immortal

Re: Music opinion/question of the week...

Post by revbob »

JennyB wrote:
28 Nov 2018, 1:13pm
My brother helped me discover a lot of great stuff, but then he became a Deadhead. So I had to kill him.
It was the humane thing to do.

My older brother got me listening to some older hard rock and heavy metal. He later got deep into prog rock and some other stuff (he's a musician) and kind of lost me there.

I think Ive mentioned before that I grew up in an area where I had access to a lot of college radio stations. I would listen to various stations sometimes spending the whole day in my room listening to the radio. This exposed me to punk and some less commercial hard rock and metal. Eventually reading magazines/zines and later some friends introduced me to some stuff. Also spending hours flipping thru LPs at record shops and finding an interesting cover/band name or song titles and then buying an album on a chance. I never got to many useful personal level recommendations until I was dealing with people here. I was more likely to be the one trying to introduce people to stuff, usually unsuccessfully.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

https://www.kink.fm/lindsey-buckingham- ... -possible/

I find the saga of Fleetwood Mac to be endlessly entertaining!!

Lindsey Buckingham - who is one of my favorite guitar players - is such a polarizing figure. It could be argued that they would have remained relatively unknown had he not joined and they relied on him heavily throughout the years to keep going, but some of the stories are pretty crazy. Lindsey Buckingham choking Stevie Nicks over the hood of his car in 1987/88 comes to mind. I imagine that neither one of them is easy to work with, but it sounds like his current ouster was at the behest of Nicks - who took offense to the fact that he apparently "smirked" while she was accepting an award earlier this year.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

WestwayKid wrote:
13 Dec 2018, 10:55am

Lindsey Buckingham - who is one of my favorite guitar players - is such a polarizing figure. It could be argued that they would have remained relatively unknown had he not joined and they relied on him heavily throughout the years to keep going, but some of the stories are pretty crazy. Lindsey Buckingham choking Stevie Nicks over the hood of his car in 1987/88 comes to mind. I imagine that neither one of them is easy to work with, but it sounds like his current ouster was at the behest of Nicks - who took offense to the fact that he apparently "smirked" while she was accepting an award earlier this year.
No denying he's a great guitarist. However any man that attacks a woman is a coward so he can go fuck himself.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Marky Dread wrote:
13 Dec 2018, 12:13pm
WestwayKid wrote:

No denying he's a great guitarist. However any man that attacks a woman is a coward so he can go fuck himself.
Agreed 100%! I read the book by his ex-girlfriend and it is harrowing to say the least. Guy has an incredible vicious streak. I believe - if I recall the story correctly - John McVie stepped in and stopped him from choking her.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

WestwayKid wrote:
13 Dec 2018, 1:12pm
Marky Dread wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:

Agreed 100%! I read the book by his ex-girlfriend and it is harrowing to say the least. Guy has an incredible vicious streak. I believe - if I recall the story correctly - John McVie stepped in and stopped him from choking her.
He should have been charged. Zero tolerance to domestic violence.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

101Walterton wrote:
13 Dec 2018, 4:09pm
WestwayKid wrote:
13 Dec 2018, 1:12pm
Marky Dread wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:

He should have been charged. Zero tolerance to domestic violence.

This book is pretty disturbing.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

anyone who ever thought they were cool wearing those shirts (and I've worn my share on that list) is absolutely kidding themselves.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
07 Jan 2019, 1:17pm
anyone who ever thought they were cool wearing those shirts (and I've worn my share on that list) is absolutely kidding themselves.
My wardrobe (as it were) is still mostly t-shirts, with a lot of music-related ones, but the idea that I seek to seem cool by doing so is dumb. It's just expression.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

I have that Ramones shirt.

Flex

Post by Flex »

Flex wrote:
(and I've worn my share on that list)
Dr. Medulla wrote:
07 Jan 2019, 1:33pm
My wardrobe (as it were) is still mostly t-shirts
revbob wrote:
07 Jan 2019, 2:01pm
I have that Ramones shirt.
Your honor, the prosecution rests.

Pex Lives!

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Flex wrote:
Those were popular in like middle school, maybe high school.

I do (did?) have that Ramones shirt, but bought it for my Joey Ramone Halloween costume awhile back.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Flex

Post by Flex »

matedog wrote:
07 Jan 2019, 2:09pm
Those were popular in like middle school, maybe high school.
I can attest that wearing those shirts did absolutely nothing to make me look cool in High School.

I do get compliments and positive comments from randos literally every time I wear my Old Crow Medicine Show Plays Blonde on Blonde tour t-shirt tho. So I wear that to look cool. :cool: :cool: :cool:

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
07 Jan 2019, 2:12pm
I do get compliments and positive comments from randos literally every time I wear my Old Crow Medicine Show Plays Blonde on Blonde tour t-shirt tho. So I wear that to look cool. :cool: :cool: :cool:
When I get comments from people when I'm wearing a Swans shirt, it's cos they think I'm hard. So they do make a clever disguise of sorts.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

I still where a lot of t-shirts...but probably less music related t-shirts than I used to wear. No real reason for going that route - just seems I have less music stuff than I used to have. I do have that Ramones shirt and I wear it now and then. I also have a slightly different version - it's more of a light navy blue. I get an occasional comment while wearing those.

I'm really surprised Joy Division didn't make the list. It's almost guaranteed that if I go to any sort of rock show in town that I will see at least one person with an Unknown Pleasures t-shirt on.