King of the Hill Appreciation Thread.

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: King of the Hill Appreciation Thread.

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Silent Majority wrote:
10 Jan 2019, 4:38am
Better the very last season of KOtH than even season 10 of the Simpson.
Looking over the episode list of each, I agree.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

I live KOTH and I suspect I only get half of the jokes?

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

101Walterton wrote:
10 Jan 2019, 2:12pm
I live KOTH and I suspect I only get half of the jokes?
KotH does have a fairly high cultural knowledge entrance bar, I think. Far more than The Simpsons. Which might explain, at least in part, why KotH never gained as big an audience as it deserved.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
09 Jan 2019, 10:11pm
tepista wrote:
09 Jan 2019, 9:54pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
26 Dec 2018, 5:47pm
The Boss and I are watching the episode where they go to Louisiana and stay with Bill's Williamesque family. My god, it is one of the funniest things ever broadcast.
That was a great episode, but I have no desire to ever watch King of the Hill reruns. I think I quit it before it ended, even.
Strongly disagree on both counts. Indeed, I've been watching old episodes the past week and it's been pure gold. It's hard to compare to the Simpsons because the comedy is different, but KotH is pretty close imo in terms of quality, plus it didn't have the horrible decline and overstay. The last couple seasons weren't great but neither were the painful senility of the Simpsons' old age.
Monkey Ass and Comic Book Drawer both watch reruns constantly, I just ain't into it no more.
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

tepista wrote:
10 Jan 2019, 4:52pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
tepista wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
The Boss and I are watching the episode where they go to Louisiana and stay with Bill's Williamesque family. My god, it is one of the funniest things ever broadcast.
That was a great episode, but I have no desire to ever watch King of the Hill reruns. I think I quit it before it ended, even.
Strongly disagree on both counts. Indeed, I've been watching old episodes the past week and it's been pure gold. It's hard to compare to the Simpsons because the comedy is different, but KotH is pretty close imo in terms of quality, plus it didn't have the horrible decline and overstay. The last couple seasons weren't great but neither were the painful senility of the Simpsons' old age.
Monkey Ass and Comic Book Drawer both watch reruns constantly, I just ain't into it no more.
You've gotten old, man. Probably still have time to watch old Matlock episodes, tho.

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
10 Jan 2019, 5:00pm
tepista wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
tepista wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
You've gotten old, man. Probably still have time to watch old Matlock episodes, tho.
For reruns, I like Sunny and Futurama.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

tepista wrote:
10 Jan 2019, 5:12pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
10 Jan 2019, 5:00pm
tepista wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
tepista wrote:

For reruns, I like Sunny and Futurama.
Have you thought of KotH? I hear it's pretty good in rerun.

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

haha

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

"Soccer was invented by European housewives as a way to keep busy while their husbands did the cooking."

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
21 Apr 2019, 10:42am
"Soccer was invented by European housewives as a way to keep busy while their husbands did the cooking."
Incredible and true.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

My son has been watching them recently. There's some pure gold in there for sure. I would liken it more to Bob's Burgers than the Simpsons or most other animated shows. The Simpsons has always had a certain amount of cartoon slapstick to it which KoTH and BB don't as they are more rooted in actual human interaction, KoTH more so.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
27 Apr 2019, 12:35pm
My son has been watching them recently. There's some pure gold in there for sure. I would liken it more to Bob's Burgers than the Simpsons or most other animated shows. The Simpsons has always had a certain amount of cartoon slapstick to it which KoTH and BB don't as they are more rooted in actual human interaction, KoTH more so.
Where the Simpsons can be appreciated by kids and adults, I don't think KotH works for kids. Because, yeah, that slapstick aspect. KotH is more obviously satirical. But, lord, it was good. Even its last couple seasons were very respectable.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

"And after he bagged her, he bagged Marilyn Monroe."

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Bill: So then Cotton says, "I bet Fatty here can eat 50 potatoes," and the bartender said, "No way." Which of course was a terrible insult to the colonel's honor. Long story short, I was pronounced legally dead. But it was a heck of a weekend.