Whatcha reading?

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Re: Whatcha reading?

Post by Silent Majority »

2) A Brief History of the Celts - Peter Berresford Ellis. Audiobook. A dry but informative look at the early Western European culture. I found most interesting the idea of the Romans getting too much credit for roads and chariots and shit when these indigenous people had those down before the Italians arrived.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

We may have discussed this before, but has anyone read the 33 1/3 books? I just ordered one about the Raincoats.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

JennyB wrote:
10 Jan 2019, 10:29am
We may have discussed this before, but has anyone read the 33 1/3 books? I just ordered one about the Raincoats.
I've read a bunch and last year in my rock class I used them as the basis for the written work (everyone had to structure their term paper around an album). They're very much a mixed bag in terms of approach—historical, biographical, musicological, cultural criticism—and effectiveness. I prefer the ones that seek to go beyond the band and/or album, to connect the music to something of greater significance. But they're a great concept overall.
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
10 Jan 2019, 10:49am
JennyB wrote:
I've read a bunch and last year in my rock class I used them as the basis for the written work (everyone had to structure their term paper around an album). They're very much a mixed bag in terms of approach—historical, biographical, musicological, cultural criticism—and effectiveness. I prefer the ones that seek to go beyond the band and/or album, to connect the music to something of greater significance. But they're a great concept overall.
I'll let you know how this one is. I'm pleasantly surprised that the Raincoats are a topic for this series.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

I've got some friends who have written some, yet never read any. Keep meaning to read the Entertainment one.

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Last year's entry on In On The Killtaker was book of the year, imho. As Doc says, they're all over the map. It's because they take pitches from potential writers - a great approach.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

JennyB wrote:
10 Jan 2019, 11:37am
I'll let you know how this one is. I'm pleasantly surprised that the Raincoats are a topic for this series.
The tastes of the writers do tend toward critical darlings rather than mainstream success. Which may betray some snobbishness or just that there's more interesting intellectual meat on the more avant records.
Silent Majority wrote:
10 Jan 2019, 11:51am
I've got some friends who have written some, yet never read any. Keep meaning to read the Entertainment one.
I've got Dettmer's Entertainment! in ePub, iffen you need an assist. It's one of the better ones. Dettmer also wrote a good book on critics' obsession with whether rock was dead or not.

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Dr. Medulla wrote:
10 Jan 2019, 11:58am
JennyB wrote:
10 Jan 2019, 11:37am
The tastes of the writers do tend toward critical darlings rather than mainstream success. Which may betray some snobbishness or just that there's more interesting intellectual meat on the more avant records.
Silent Majority wrote:
10 Jan 2019, 11:51am
I've got Dettmer's Entertainment! in ePub, iffen you need an assist. It's one of the better ones. Dettmer also wrote a good book on critics' obsession with whether rock was dead or not.
Oh, yes please. Thank you.

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

JennyB wrote:
I've got a large collection at home. Just finished the new Siouxsie Peepshow edition, which might interest Doc in that it goes beyond common assessments of the band and links the album's songs to the Banshees' obvious love of film—each song getting a genre of its own.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

tepista wrote:
10 Jan 2019, 4:52pm
Pretty sure my dad had a raunchy joke book with the same illustrator.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Back from campus and the library. Among the research-oriented crap, I also grabbed the Fugazi one (based on Flex's recommendation), the Banshees (based on Kory's recommendation), and the Raincoats (based on Jen's pick). The rest of you lost out on influencing me. Not that there's one on KISS' Animalize.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
10 Jan 2019, 9:53pm
Back from campus and the library. Among the research-oriented crap, I also grabbed the Fugazi one (based on Flex's recommendation), the Banshees (based on Kory's recommendation), and the Raincoats (based on Jen's pick). The rest of you lost out on influencing me. Not that there's one on KISS' Animalize.
I would also recommend the Fugazi one, I highly enjoyed it and kept it in the collection.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Kory wrote:
11 Jan 2019, 1:56pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
I would also recommend the Fugazi one, I highly enjoyed it and kept it in the collection.
Just remember folks, don't dismiss the Fugazi entry just because Kory likes it. I also enjoyed and recommended it.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
11 Jan 2019, 4:24pm
Kory wrote:
11 Jan 2019, 1:56pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Just remember folks, don't dismiss the Fugazi entry just because Kory likes it. I also enjoyed and recommended it.
I'm starting to have borrower's remorse.