The Future of the Democratic Party

Politics and other such topical creams.
Rat Patrol
Unknown Immortal

Re: The Future of the Democratic Party

Post by Rat Patrol »

Kamala Harris and Tulsi Gabbard. The horribles are out in force early stuffing that straw poll clowncar. X(

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Rat Patrol wrote:
11 Jan 2019, 8:56pm
Kamala Harris and Tulsi Gabbard. The horribles are out in force early stuffing that straw poll clowncar. X(
I don't think Tulsi has a constituency, so this is probably just a gambit to raise her profile a bit. She's said some dumb stuff about Syria, but her skepticism of US military interventionism is pretty well justified and overall I'd put her closer on the left end of the spectrum of potential candidates. If she can clean up some of her talking points about Assad, I don't see how it hurts to have her advocating a more leftist vision of anti-intervtionism since basically all we have right now is Trump's bloviating jingoist America First nonsense.

I loathe Kamala.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Rat Patrol
Unknown Immortal

Post by Rat Patrol »

Flex wrote:
11 Jan 2019, 10:01pm
Rat Patrol wrote:
11 Jan 2019, 8:56pm
I don't think Tulsi has a constituency, so this is probably just a gambit to raise her profile a bit. She's said some dumb stuff about Syria, but her skepticism of US military interventionism is pretty well justified and overall I'd put her closer on the left end of the spectrum of potential candidates. If she can clean up some of her talking points about Assad, I don't see how it hurts to have her advocating a more leftist vision of anti-intervtionism since basically all we have right now is Trump's bloviating jingoist America First nonsense.

I loathe Kamala.
Gabbard is homophobic, Islamophobic, fascist-backing trash with one of the most wretched voting records in the Dem House caucus. But she'll go left-contrarian in a heartbeat if it gets her some top-profile exposure and takes the heat off some horrible thing she said on Fox the previous month, so she fleetingly convinces folks of progressive bona fides. All it is is changing one's stripes faster than the media is willing to back-trace old quotes and votes. Works for a semi-obscure Rep whose home-district media is a thousand miles offshore, but she'll never make it out of the Iowa Straw Poll alive with all the dirt that can be easily dredged up.

As horrible as Harris is, Gabbard is easily worse on a wider array of issues.

Flex

Post by Flex »

Interesting stuff. I only had cursory familiarity with Tulsi, mostly around her meeting with Assad, so this is useful.

Pex Lives!

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

I'm very concerned they're going to fund the wall. I'm an utter pessimist on this stuff. If they appease the bully on the magic issue which will forever delight his base, they'll be capitulating to his whims for the next six years. Should they fail to be morally courageous here, they will have completely failed to earn their self given title of #resistance.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Flex

Post by Flex »

Silent Majority wrote:
12 Jan 2019, 8:04am
I'm very concerned they're going to fund the wall. I'm an utter pessimist on this stuff. If they appease the bully on the magic issue which will forever delight his base, they'll be capitulating to his whims for the next six years. Should they fail to be morally courageous here, they will have completely failed to earn their self given title of #resistance.
not that it will happen, but i'd probably take the deal that would fun 5 million in "wall" for a permanent DACA fix and some humanitarian border aid. I know some DACA folks and I think the tradeoff is worth it.

Pex Lives!

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Flex wrote:
12 Jan 2019, 11:57am
Silent Majority wrote:
not that it will happen, but i'd probably take the deal that would fun 5 million in "wall" for a permanent DACA fix and some humanitarian border aid. I know some DACA folks and I think the tradeoff is worth it.
Yeah, or even set sights elsewhere. Stupid wall + Medicare For All is a tradeoff I'd respect.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Silent Majority wrote:
12 Jan 2019, 11:59am
Flex wrote:
12 Jan 2019, 11:57am
Silent Majority wrote:
Yeah, or even set sights elsewhere. Stupid wall + Medicare For All is a tradeoff I'd respect.
Haha, what a European mindset. Medicare for all compromise trade off would be something like permanent ban on non European immigrants. IE much bigger than a wall.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Rat Patrol
Unknown Immortal

Post by Rat Patrol »

Add Julian Castro and Kirsten Gillibrand to the centrist awfuls clowncar.

Holy shit, Warren is literally the only one in this who merely 'conflicts' me instead of making me want to rage-vomit through my eyesockets. X(

Flex

Post by Flex »

Gillibrand has tried to reinvent her self as left post-2016, which, lol.

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Gonna be a few more elections before the backlog of liberals who came of age in the Clinton years, when Democrats truly learned to hate the poor, is cleared out.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

What the fuck is this shit about Gillibrand promoting herself as a "young mom"? According to Wikipedia, she had her first child at age 37.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
16 Jan 2019, 11:47am
What the fuck is this shit about Gillibrand promoting herself as a "young mom"? According to Wikipedia, she had her first child at age 37.
As did I, and I can assure you that nobody mistook me for a "young mom." IIRC, I was labeled "geriatric pregnancy."
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

JennyB wrote:
16 Jan 2019, 12:07pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
As did I, and I can assure you that nobody mistook me for a "young mom." IIRC, I was labeled "geriatric pregnancy."
Oh my! Having a kid in your 30s, first, third, or fifth, is just plain old pregnant woman, neither young nor old. My mother was 46 when she had me—I was, um, a last moment of unprotected passion between my parents—which is more appropriately a geriatric pregnancy.

The other thing about that "young mom" claim is that it generally has connotations of struggling to pay bills, finishing school, or starting a career. Identifying as a young mom signals that this is a lot harder than normal. She was an established corporate lawyer, for fuck's sake. The Clinton is strong with this one …

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
16 Jan 2019, 12:20pm
JennyB wrote:
16 Jan 2019, 12:07pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Oh my! Having a kid in your 30s, first, third, or fifth, is just plain old pregnant woman, neither young nor old. My mother was 46 when she had me—I was, um, a last moment of unprotected passion between my parents—which is more appropriately a geriatric pregnancy.

The other thing about that "young mom" claim is that it generally has connotations of struggling to pay bills, finishing school, or starting a career. Identifying as a young mom signals that this is a lot harder than normal. She was an established corporate lawyer, for fuck's sake. The Clinton is strong with this one …
And the Palin.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy