Marky Dread wrote:
23 Jan 2019, 2:47pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
23 Jan 2019, 12:19pm
Marky Dread wrote:
23 Jan 2019, 12:07pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
23 Jan 2019, 11:59am

If they shitcanned Keith for being a lazy dink, Morrissey wouldn't have lasted any longer.
Morrissey was a huge NY Dolls fan as was Mick so things really could've taken a different path.
There may have been common interests, but I really have a hard time conceiving of Bernie putting up with Morrissey for long.
Very early times so I doubt Morrissey had the same arrogance he showed later on. Also I'm considering a different beginning where Mick and Moz try out a band before Bernie's time.
Morrissey has always been prone to canceling shows though, or simply not showing up. I think between Mick's constant tardiness and that, they never would have gotten anything off the ground.
Ugh. We had tickets to see him in Chicago maybe 5-6 years ago and he cancelled 2 days before the show. A make up date was set and then he postponed the make up date a few days before the show. He finally just cancelled the whole thing at some point - which sadly wasn't shocking. It was a bummer, but I'd already seen him quite a few times.

There is also the infamous story of when Morrissey opened for Bowie back in 1995 and then quit suddenly - claiming illness.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Re: The All Smiths/Morrissey Thread

Post by Marky Dread »

Kory wrote:
23 Jan 2019, 5:23pm
Marky Dread wrote:
23 Jan 2019, 4:20pm
Kory wrote:
23 Jan 2019, 3:38pm
Marky Dread wrote:
23 Jan 2019, 2:57pm
Kory wrote:
23 Jan 2019, 2:50pm

Morrissey has always been prone to canceling shows though, or simply not showing up. I think between Mick's constant tardiness and that, they never would have gotten anything off the ground.
He was canceling shows as early as the early Smiths days. I think it's just part of who he is.
Indeed but I'm referring to time before The Smiths. The Smiths didn't form until 1982 punk was a good 6 years earlier. I'm not suggesting Morrissey hasn't always been a brat but I can't imagine him being such a prima-donna at the point of having no success.
I guess that's where we differ.
There's no proof to the contrary. I remember Morrissey being described as a charismatic front man in the Nosebleeds. If he was just starting out I have doubts he would want to piss anyone off.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

WestwayKid wrote:
23 Jan 2019, 5:26pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
23 Jan 2019, 4:40pm
oliver wrote:
23 Jan 2019, 4:30pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
There may have been common interests, but I really have a hard time conceiving of Bernie putting up with Morrissey for long.
According to the books/interviews I've read, the main reason for the split was that Morrissey and Marr (who were still only 28 and 24 in 1987) were jointly managing the group because Morrissey disliked or distrusted every real manager they ever had.

I'm sure it would have been a countdown to who would have sacked whom first.
Less jointly managing than more and more of that work being dumped on Marr because, indeed, Morrissey would turn on every outside manager they had. Marr has said that he left the band because he was just plain burned out from having too many roles to play at that young age. But to your latter point, ha, I agree.
This is what I've always heard, too. Morrissey was apparently very protective of his relationship with Marr - and there were several instances where they brought in an outside manager and the manager would end up forming a working relationship with Marr who handled the business end of the partnership and Morrissey would get jealous and sabotage everything - which meant Johnny would then end up taking care of managing the band on his own again. This went beyond management. Morrissey didn't like the relationship between Marr and producer John Porter and went behind their backs to have Steve Lillywhite mix "Ask". There is also the story that Morrissey didn't like Ken Friedman - who was to be their final outside manager - as Friedman was too friendly with Marr. Morrissey lashed out by failing to show up for the video shoot for "Shoplifters of the World".

From everything I've read - Marr did not intend to leave the band. He was proud of the work they had done on Strangways and saw it as new direction for the group. He just wanted a break and Morrissey wanted to keep working. Morrissey was hot to get back into the studio to record b-sides for "Girlfriend in a Coma" but was adamant that they record a cover of Cilla Black's "Work is a Four Letter Word" along with "I Keep Mine Hidden".

The final straw was the NME article that said the band was going to split. Marr thought the article had been planted by Morrissey (it had not) and decided to walk.

Their relationship since the band split has been interesting. They actually sat down in late 2008 and almost got back together with Rourke (but not Mike Joyce). The idea was that they would wait for Johnny to honor his touring commitments with the Cribs - but then Morrissey never got back to him.
I thought the last straw was a video shoot where Morrissey stood everyone up. It was bad enough that a bunch of them went to his apartment, knew he was inside, but he refused to acknowledge them. Just more prima donna behaviour and Marr, exhausted, said fuck it and went on a holiday that ended up permanent after reading that the others were looking for a replacement.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

WestwayKid wrote:
23 Jan 2019, 5:29pm
Kory wrote:
23 Jan 2019, 2:50pm
Marky Dread wrote:
23 Jan 2019, 2:47pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
23 Jan 2019, 12:07pm

Morrissey was a huge NY Dolls fan as was Mick so things really could've taken a different path.
Very early times so I doubt Morrissey had the same arrogance he showed later on. Also I'm considering a different beginning where Mick and Moz try out a band before Bernie's time.
Ugh. We had tickets to see him in Chicago maybe 5-6 years ago and he cancelled 2 days before the show. A make up date was set and then he postponed the make up date a few days before the show. He finally just cancelled the whole thing at some point - which sadly wasn't shocking. It was a bummer, but I'd already seen him quite a few times.

There is also the infamous story of when Morrissey opened for Bowie back in 1995 and then quit suddenly - claiming illness.
Didn't he play a few dates then claim that Bowie tried to upstage him?

I know he tried to mend the rift when Visconti was producing his album. There was a plan for them both to record a cover of "You've lost that lovin' feeling".

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

I’m admittedly not well read up on mozs punk years but on the basis that he can’t have been more than 16/17 when the clash formed how seriously should that possibility be taken? Have some difficulty taking this with anything other than a huge dollop of salt.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Low Down Low wrote:
23 Jan 2019, 6:15pm
I’m admittedly not well read up on mozs punk years but on the basis that he can’t have been more than 16/17 when the clash formed how seriously should that possibility be taken? Have some difficulty taking this with anything other than a huge dollop of salt.
Not as bizarre as it sounds mate. After the Nosebleeds Morrissey and Billy Duffy joined Slaughter and the Dogs.
Now Slaughter were hardly The Clash but then I'm 1976 no one knew if punk would lastemaster alone some of the bands becoming world beaters.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Marky Dread wrote:
23 Jan 2019, 6:23pm
Low Down Low wrote:
Not as bizarre as it sounds mate. After the Nosebleeds Morrissey and Billy Duffy joined Slaughter and the Dogs.
Now Slaughter were hardly The Clash but then I'm 1976 no one knew if punk would lastemaster alone some of the bands becoming world beaters.
Ah ok, that’s interesting to learn. Frankly I don’t know whether to be terrified, relieved, amused or a mixture of all 3 to know it might actually have come to pass!

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Low Down Low wrote:
23 Jan 2019, 6:30pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
Ah ok, that’s interesting to learn. Frankly I don’t know whether to be terrified, relieved, amused or a mixture of all 3 to know it might actually have come to pass!
Sorry about the spelling on my previous post. My phone has a will of its own.

Of course regards Morrissey and joining The Clash is just purely speculative. But in the punk era stranger things happened. When you look at all the family trees of who's who it's a mad tangled web.

Morrissey did record 4 songs with Slaughter and the Dogs in rehearsal. I've never heard them though. He never played any gigs with them just a brief dalliance.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
23 Jan 2019, 5:44pm
WestwayKid wrote:
23 Jan 2019, 5:26pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
23 Jan 2019, 4:40pm
oliver wrote:
23 Jan 2019, 4:30pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
According to the books/interviews I've read, the main reason for the split was that Morrissey and Marr (who were still only 28 and 24 in 1987) were jointly managing the group because Morrissey disliked or distrusted every real manager they ever had.

I'm sure it would have been a countdown to who would have sacked whom first.
Less jointly managing than more and more of that work being dumped on Marr because, indeed, Morrissey would turn on every outside manager they had. Marr has said that he left the band because he was just plain burned out from having too many roles to play at that young age. But to your latter point, ha, I agree.
This is what I've always heard, too. Morrissey was apparently very protective of his relationship with Marr - and there were several instances where they brought in an outside manager and the manager would end up forming a working relationship with Marr who handled the business end of the partnership and Morrissey would get jealous and sabotage everything - which meant Johnny would then end up taking care of managing the band on his own again. This went beyond management. Morrissey didn't like the relationship between Marr and producer John Porter and went behind their backs to have Steve Lillywhite mix "Ask". There is also the story that Morrissey didn't like Ken Friedman - who was to be their final outside manager - as Friedman was too friendly with Marr. Morrissey lashed out by failing to show up for the video shoot for "Shoplifters of the World".

From everything I've read - Marr did not intend to leave the band. He was proud of the work they had done on Strangways and saw it as new direction for the group. He just wanted a break and Morrissey wanted to keep working. Morrissey was hot to get back into the studio to record b-sides for "Girlfriend in a Coma" but was adamant that they record a cover of Cilla Black's "Work is a Four Letter Word" along with "I Keep Mine Hidden".

The final straw was the NME article that said the band was going to split. Marr thought the article had been planted by Morrissey (it had not) and decided to walk.

Their relationship since the band split has been interesting. They actually sat down in late 2008 and almost got back together with Rourke (but not Mike Joyce). The idea was that they would wait for Johnny to honor his touring commitments with the Cribs - but then Morrissey never got back to him.
I thought the last straw was a video shoot where Morrissey stood everyone up. It was bad enough that a bunch of them went to his apartment, knew he was inside, but he refused to acknowledge them. Just more prima donna behaviour and Marr, exhausted, said fuck it and went on a holiday that ended up permanent after reading that the others were looking for a replacement.
It was a promo video for "Sheila Take A Bow" that he failed to show up for (rather than Shoplifters... as I previously mentioned). This would have been in spring 1987. Sire was pushing for the video to help promote the Louder than Bombs comp. Everything had been agreed upon and on the day of the shoot - Morrissey simply refused to show up. Nobody can get in touch with him and Marr did go to his house - but Morrissey refused to acknowledge that he was even there. According to the video's director who accompanied Marr, Johnny sald: "We cannot be in a band if this is how you're going to act. Come on outside right now, we've got to do this, we're responsible for this video, it's costing us money." Johnny did walk away from that "meeting" telling manager Friedman: "That's it. The band is over. Ken, it's over."

They didn't break up right away, but Morrissey summoned Marr to his home a few days later to issue an ultimatum: either they fire Ken Friedman or Morrissey would quit. Morrissey wanted that "things should go back to the way they were" which meant that Johnny would once again assume all band related responsibilities. Marr agreed - in part. He suggested that they split apart as a business entity and pursue their own management.

Marr still wasn't ready to break up the band - he just was worn out, overwhelmed, and wanted a break. He wanted to go off and record with the Talking Heads and Bryan Ferry and then have a proper break - but Morrissey pushed for them to go back into the studio to record b-sides before he'd "allow" Johnny the break he had asked for. Marr thought that was insane. The single (Girlfriend in a Coma) wasn't due to be released for several months and he didn't have any new songs to record. The fact that Morrissey wasn't to record "Work is a Four Letter Word" only added fuel to the fire.

There is another story about Morrissey failing to show up for the "Sheila Take A Bow" session without any sort of excuse. It might have been okay - but he had invited Sandie Shaw to sing backing vocals and then still failed to show - which forced Johnny to have to smooth things over.

So yeah - long winded reply from me - but the video shoot was probably the crack in the levee that led to its total collapse. It just sounds like Johnny wanted to make music - he didn't want to book tours and so on - but the situation was such that Morrissey was never going to allow an outside manager to come in and relieve him of those duties.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

I would LOVE to hear Morrissey with slaughter and the dogs. Great, great band.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

WestwayKid wrote:
23 Jan 2019, 6:55pm
It was a promo video for "Sheila Take A Bow" that he failed to show up for (rather than Shoplifters... as I previously mentioned). This would have been in spring 1987. Sire was pushing for the video to help promote the Louder than Bombs comp. Everything had been agreed upon and on the day of the shoot - Morrissey simply refused to show up. Nobody can get in touch with him and Marr did go to his house - but Morrissey refused to acknowledge that he was even there. According to the video's director who accompanied Marr, Johnny sald: "We cannot be in a band if this is how you're going to act. Come on outside right now, we've got to do this, we're responsible for this video, it's costing us money." Johnny did walk away from that "meeting" telling manager Friedman: "That's it. The band is over. Ken, it's over."

They didn't break up right away, but Morrissey summoned Marr to his home a few days later to issue an ultimatum: either they fire Ken Friedman or Morrissey would quit. Morrissey wanted that "things should go back to the way they were" which meant that Johnny would once again assume all band related responsibilities. Marr agreed - in part. He suggested that they split apart as a business entity and pursue their own management.

Marr still wasn't ready to break up the band - he just was worn out, overwhelmed, and wanted a break. He wanted to go off and record with the Talking Heads and Bryan Ferry and then have a proper break - but Morrissey pushed for them to go back into the studio to record b-sides before he'd "allow" Johnny the break he had asked for. Marr thought that was insane. The single (Girlfriend in a Coma) wasn't due to be released for several months and he didn't have any new songs to record. The fact that Morrissey wasn't to record "Work is a Four Letter Word" only added fuel to the fire.

There is another story about Morrissey failing to show up for the "Sheila Take A Bow" session without any sort of excuse. It might have been okay - but he had invited Sandie Shaw to sing backing vocals and then still failed to show - which forced Johnny to have to smooth things over.

So yeah - long winded reply from me - but the video shoot was probably the crack in the levee that led to its total collapse. It just sounds like Johnny wanted to make music - he didn't want to book tours and so on - but the situation was such that Morrissey was never going to allow an outside manager to come in and relieve him of those duties.
Yeah, that's the story I recall reading (in that band bio from a few years back). They couldn't even point to a "musical differences" reason—this was pure personality problems manifesting in business issues. The decline of the Smiths always makes me think of this great Kids in the Hall sketch, with Kevin ending up in a similar Johnny position.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Marky Dread wrote:
23 Jan 2019, 6:39pm
Low Down Low wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:

Of course regards Morrissey and joining The Clash is just purely speculative. But in the punk era stranger things happened. When you look at all the family trees of who's who it's a mad tangled web.

Morrissey did record 4 songs with Slaughter and the Dogs in rehearsal. I've never heard them though. He never played any gigs with them just a brief dalliance.
That’s very true. I read somewhere quite recently that John Foxx, apparently, had nearly joined the clash and that sounded like total bs to me, but again, maybe stranger things actually happened. For one thing he did know Mick at least.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Low Down Low wrote:
23 Jan 2019, 7:42pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:

That’s very true. I read somewhere quite recently that John Foxx, apparently, had nearly joined the clash and that sounded like total bs to me, but again, maybe stranger things actually happened. For one thing he did know Mick at least.
I've said this before here that I don't agree with all the punk historians when they claim that Lydon stole his style from Richard Hell. It came from a lot closer to home and a mix of Ian Dury (Kilburn and the High Roads) and early John Foxx led Ultravox. Both Lydon and Mick Jones were at those early Ultravox gigs. Now I don't think Foxx was ever considered as a Clash vocalist but most likely for London SS or before they even had a name.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Marky Dread wrote:
23 Jan 2019, 8:01pm
Low Down Low wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

I've said this before here that I don't agree with all the punk historians when they claim that Lydon stole his style from Richard Hell. It came from a lot closer to home and a mix of Ian Dury (Kilburn and the High Roads) and early John Foxx led Ultravox. Both Lydon and Mick Jones were at those early Ultravox gigs. Now I don't think Foxx was ever considered as a Clash vocalist but most likely for London SS or before they even had a name.
From what I’ve read of him Foxx seemed very set on his path early on and can’t see he’d have had much interest in what would subsequently evolve into the clash.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Low Down Low wrote:
23 Jan 2019, 8:17pm
Marky Dread wrote:
23 Jan 2019, 8:01pm
Low Down Low wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:

From what I’ve read of him Foxx seemed very set on his path early on and can’t see he’d have had much interest in what would subsequently evolve into the clash.
That's the point here mate. There would not have been a Clash as we know it. Early Ultravox is very punky sounding. Foxx was just as inspired by The Stooges in those early days as he was Eno etc.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia