The All Smiths/Morrissey Thread

General music discussion.
WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Re: The All Smiths/Morrissey Thread

Post by WestwayKid »

Curious to know everyone's Morrissey solo LP ranking? Here's mine:

1) Vauxhall & I
2) Your Arsenal (My top-2 are very, very close)
3) Viva Hate
4) Southpaw Grammar (I'm using the remaster - but the original still would have been top-5)
5) Maladjusted (I'm again going with the remaster - the original version would have been further down the list)
6) Ringleader of the Tormentors
7) You Are the Quarry
8) Years of Refusal
9) Kill Uncle
10) Low in High School
11) World Peace is None of Your Business (This has always been a really hard album for me to get into)

I'm not including Bona Drag as it wasn't a proper album - but if you want to include it - go ahead. I'd probably slot it between Viva Hate and Southpaw.

I also used the remastered versions of Southpaw and Maladjusted because I'm buying into Morrissey's revisionist history regarding those two albums.

Low in High School might climb eventually - I'm still working on figuring that one out.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

WestwayKid wrote:
24 Jan 2019, 8:03am

1) Vauxhall & I
3) Viva Hate
4) Southpaw Grammar (I'm using the remaster - but the original still would have been top-5)
5) Maladjusted (I'm again going with the remaster - the original version would have been further down the list)
7) You Are the Quarry
8) Years of Refusal
9) Kill Uncle
10) Low in High School
11) World Peace is None of Your Business (This has always been a really hard album for me to get into)

I'm not including Bona Drag as it wasn't a proper album - but if you want to include it - go ahead. I'd probably slot it between Viva Hate and Southpaw.

I also used the remastered versions of Southpaw and Maladjusted because I'm buying into Morrissey's revisionist history regarding those two albums.

Low in High School might climb eventually - I'm still working on figuring that one out.
I would swap 1 and 2 and put You Ate the Curry at 6. Otherwise very similar.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Southpaw
Vauxhall
Viva Hate
Arsenal
all the rest as some indistinguishable boring blob

If Bona Drag is included, maybe between Vaux and VH.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

oliver
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by oliver »

Marky Dread wrote:
23 Jan 2019, 5:57pm
Didn't he play a few dates then claim that Bowie tried to upstage him?

I know he tried to mend the rift when Visconti was producing his album. There was a plan for them both to record a cover of "You've lost that lovin' feeling".
I saw him at Wembley on that tour. He probably didn't like playing to a half empty arena with only a handful of devoted fans at the front.
Putting a little stick about. Putting the frighteners on flash little twerps

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

oliver wrote:
24 Jan 2019, 9:33am
Marky Dread wrote:
23 Jan 2019, 5:57pm
Didn't he play a few dates then claim that Bowie tried to upstage him?

I know he tried to mend the rift when Visconti was producing his album. There was a plan for them both to record a cover of "You've lost that lovin' feeling".
I saw him at Wembley on that tour. He probably didn't like playing to a half empty arena with only a handful of devoted fans at the front.
I think that was exactly it - he didn't like the poor reception he got and pulled the plug citing an illness...but then was touring in Japan a few weeks later. The proposed duet on "You've Lost That Lovin' Feeling" never happened because Bowie didn't want to do it. Bowie also refused to allow Morrissey to use a photo of the two as the cover for the reissue of "The Last of the Famous International Playboys" single. I recall a quote from the time where Morrissey acknowledges that he'd said some unkind things about Bowie, but that he was sure Bowie knew it was just "snot nosed junior high ribbing" on Morrissey's part.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Listening to Ringleader this morning - it's a really solid album. Alain Whyte's songwriting is really, really solid - probably some of his best moments as a songwriting partner with Morrissey. "Life Is a Pigsty" is a really great track. The album sounds tough - tons of glam riffs from Whyte, Boorer and Tobias. Great rhythm section in Matt Chamberlain and Gary Day. I've always thought Morrissey sounds his best when he has a heavy hitter behind the kit - which is where an album like You are the Quarry falls short. Also - I'm not sure that Morrissey has ever recovered from the loss of Whyte. Years of Refusal was a good album...but World Peace and Low in High School haven't been as good (at least not in my opinion).

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

WestwayKid wrote:
24 Jan 2019, 11:16am
Listening to Ringleader this morning - it's a really solid album. Alain Whyte's songwriting is really, really solid - probably some of his best moments as a songwriting partner with Morrissey. "Life Is a Pigsty" is a really great track. The album sounds tough - tons of glam riffs from Whyte, Boorer and Tobias. Great rhythm section in Matt Chamberlain and Gary Day. I've always thought Morrissey sounds his best when he has a heavy hitter behind the kit - which is where an album like You are the Quarry falls short. Also - I'm not sure that Morrissey has ever recovered from the loss of Whyte. Years of Refusal was a good album...but World Peace and Low in High School haven't been as good (at least not in my opinion).
Maybe he'll return like Gary Day did. Briefly.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

oliver
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by oliver »

WestwayKid wrote:
24 Jan 2019, 9:44am
I recall a quote from the time where Morrissey acknowledges that he'd said some unkind things about Bowie, but that he was sure Bowie knew it was just "snot nosed junior high ribbing" on Morrissey's part.
This bit from Autobiography always makes me chuckle:

I meet David Bowie for breakfast at a discreet restaurant at the foot of the Hollywood Hills. Both standing at the buffet with our empty plates, David hovers over what are horrifically called ‘cold cuts’. I nestle up beside him.

‘David, you’re not actually going to eat that stuff, are you?’

Rumbled, he snaps: ‘Oh, you must be HELL to live with.’

‘Yes, I am,’ I say proudly, as David changes course and sidles off towards the fruit salad, and another soul is saved from the burning fires of self-imposed eternal damnation.
Putting a little stick about. Putting the frighteners on flash little twerps

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

I'm pretty much a pescatarian these days, but you better believe I'll stuff my face with a beef burger if I ever find myself sitting with Morrissey at lunch.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Silent Majority wrote:
24 Jan 2019, 2:43pm
I'm pretty much a pescatarian these days, but you better believe I'll stuff my face with a beef burger if I ever find myself sitting with Morrissey at lunch.
Ha, ha - agreed!

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Kory wrote:
24 Jan 2019, 1:27pm
WestwayKid wrote:
...or Spencer Cobrin!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Silent Majority wrote:
24 Jan 2019, 2:43pm
Or Chinese food with beef. May as well go full-on sub-human.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

WestwayKid wrote:
24 Jan 2019, 3:23pm
Kory wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
...or Spencer Cobrin!
I gotta say the new band is pretty shit-hot though, at least live. This performance on YouTube is quite energetic:

"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Kory wrote:
24 Jan 2019, 4:09pm
WestwayKid wrote:
24 Jan 2019, 3:23pm
Kory wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
...or Spencer Cobrin!
I gotta say the new band is pretty shit-hot though, at least live. This performance on YouTube is quite energetic:

No doubt - his current band is quite good live and it's always great to see Boz still rocking!

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

WestwayKid wrote:
24 Jan 2019, 8:03am

1) Vauxhall & I
3) Viva Hate
7) You Are the Quarry
8) Years of Refusal
9) Kill Uncle
10) Low in High School

I'm going to include Bona Drag and My Early Burglary Years because I listen to them as frequently as the albums and I think they hang together just as well.

1. Your Arsenal
2. Vauxhall & I
3. Bona Drag
4. Viva Hate
5. Kill Uncle
6. My Early Burglary Years
7. Southpaw Grammar
8. Years of Refusal
9. Ringleader of the Tormentors
10. You Are the Quarry
11. Low in High School
12. Maladjusted