The All Smiths/Morrissey Thread

General music discussion.
WestwayKid
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 3676
Joined: 20 Sep 2017, 8:22am
Location: Mill-e-wah-que

Re: The All Smiths/Morrissey Thread

Post by WestwayKid »

Curious to know everyone's Morrissey solo LP ranking? Here's mine:

1) Vauxhall & I
2) Your Arsenal (My top-2 are very, very close)
3) Viva Hate
4) Southpaw Grammar (I'm using the remaster - but the original still would have been top-5)
5) Maladjusted (I'm again going with the remaster - the original version would have been further down the list)
6) Ringleader of the Tormentors
7) You Are the Quarry
8) Years of Refusal
9) Kill Uncle
10) Low in High School
11) World Peace is None of Your Business (This has always been a really hard album for me to get into)

I'm not including Bona Drag as it wasn't a proper album - but if you want to include it - go ahead. I'd probably slot it between Viva Hate and Southpaw.

I also used the remastered versions of Southpaw and Maladjusted because I'm buying into Morrissey's revisionist history regarding those two albums.

Low in High School might climb eventually - I'm still working on figuring that one out.
"Geoff who takes kids camping is dead all the boys except Rusty are missing." - revbob
"Tom checks the ingredients on "Uncle Pusher's Old Timey Cocaine Filled Cider" - Silent Majority

Marky Dread
User avatar
Messiah of the Milk Bar
Posts: 46069
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 11:26am

Re: The All Smiths/Morrissey Thread

Post by Marky Dread »

WestwayKid wrote:
24 Jan 2019, 8:03am
Curious to know everyone's Morrissey solo LP ranking? Here's mine:

1) Vauxhall & I
2) Your Arsenal (My top-2 are very, very close)
3) Viva Hate
4) Southpaw Grammar (I'm using the remaster - but the original still would have been top-5)
5) Maladjusted (I'm again going with the remaster - the original version would have been further down the list)
6) Ringleader of the Tormentors
7) You Are the Quarry
8) Years of Refusal
9) Kill Uncle
10) Low in High School
11) World Peace is None of Your Business (This has always been a really hard album for me to get into)

I'm not including Bona Drag as it wasn't a proper album - but if you want to include it - go ahead. I'd probably slot it between Viva Hate and Southpaw.

I also used the remastered versions of Southpaw and Maladjusted because I'm buying into Morrissey's revisionist history regarding those two albums.

Low in High School might climb eventually - I'm still working on figuring that one out.
I would swap 1 and 2 and put You Ate the Curry at 6. Otherwise very similar.
Image

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 88635
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia

Re: The All Smiths/Morrissey Thread

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Southpaw
Vauxhall
Viva Hate
Arsenal
all the rest as some indistinguishable boring blob

If Bona Drag is included, maybe between Vaux and VH.
Back off, or I'll blow the roof off—with sound!

oliver
Long Time Jerk
Posts: 728
Joined: 27 Jun 2008, 11:55am

Re: The All Smiths/Morrissey Thread

Post by oliver »

Marky Dread wrote:
23 Jan 2019, 5:57pm
Didn't he play a few dates then claim that Bowie tried to upstage him?

I know he tried to mend the rift when Visconti was producing his album. There was a plan for them both to record a cover of "You've lost that lovin' feeling".
I saw him at Wembley on that tour. He probably didn't like playing to a half empty arena with only a handful of devoted fans at the front.
Putting a little stick about. Putting the frighteners on flash little twerps

WestwayKid
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 3676
Joined: 20 Sep 2017, 8:22am
Location: Mill-e-wah-que

Re: The All Smiths/Morrissey Thread

Post by WestwayKid »

oliver wrote:
24 Jan 2019, 9:33am
Marky Dread wrote:
23 Jan 2019, 5:57pm
Didn't he play a few dates then claim that Bowie tried to upstage him?

I know he tried to mend the rift when Visconti was producing his album. There was a plan for them both to record a cover of "You've lost that lovin' feeling".
I saw him at Wembley on that tour. He probably didn't like playing to a half empty arena with only a handful of devoted fans at the front.
I think that was exactly it - he didn't like the poor reception he got and pulled the plug citing an illness...but then was touring in Japan a few weeks later. The proposed duet on "You've Lost That Lovin' Feeling" never happened because Bowie didn't want to do it. Bowie also refused to allow Morrissey to use a photo of the two as the cover for the reissue of "The Last of the Famous International Playboys" single. I recall a quote from the time where Morrissey acknowledges that he'd said some unkind things about Bowie, but that he was sure Bowie knew it was just "snot nosed junior high ribbing" on Morrissey's part.
"Geoff who takes kids camping is dead all the boys except Rusty are missing." - revbob
"Tom checks the ingredients on "Uncle Pusher's Old Timey Cocaine Filled Cider" - Silent Majority

WestwayKid
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 3676
Joined: 20 Sep 2017, 8:22am
Location: Mill-e-wah-que

Re: The All Smiths/Morrissey Thread

Post by WestwayKid »

Listening to Ringleader this morning - it's a really solid album. Alain Whyte's songwriting is really, really solid - probably some of his best moments as a songwriting partner with Morrissey. "Life Is a Pigsty" is a really great track. The album sounds tough - tons of glam riffs from Whyte, Boorer and Tobias. Great rhythm section in Matt Chamberlain and Gary Day. I've always thought Morrissey sounds his best when he has a heavy hitter behind the kit - which is where an album like You are the Quarry falls short. Also - I'm not sure that Morrissey has ever recovered from the loss of Whyte. Years of Refusal was a good album...but World Peace and Low in High School haven't been as good (at least not in my opinion).
"Geoff who takes kids camping is dead all the boys except Rusty are missing." - revbob
"Tom checks the ingredients on "Uncle Pusher's Old Timey Cocaine Filled Cider" - Silent Majority

Kory
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 12208
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 1:42pm
Location: In the Discosphere

Re: The All Smiths/Morrissey Thread

Post by Kory »

WestwayKid wrote:
24 Jan 2019, 11:16am
Listening to Ringleader this morning - it's a really solid album. Alain Whyte's songwriting is really, really solid - probably some of his best moments as a songwriting partner with Morrissey. "Life Is a Pigsty" is a really great track. The album sounds tough - tons of glam riffs from Whyte, Boorer and Tobias. Great rhythm section in Matt Chamberlain and Gary Day. I've always thought Morrissey sounds his best when he has a heavy hitter behind the kit - which is where an album like You are the Quarry falls short. Also - I'm not sure that Morrissey has ever recovered from the loss of Whyte. Years of Refusal was a good album...but World Peace and Low in High School haven't been as good (at least not in my opinion).
Maybe he'll return like Gary Day did. Briefly.
WWK: I feel confident we haven't heard the last from Dr. Harvey Camel.

oliver
Long Time Jerk
Posts: 728
Joined: 27 Jun 2008, 11:55am

Re: The All Smiths/Morrissey Thread

Post by oliver »

WestwayKid wrote:
24 Jan 2019, 9:44am
I recall a quote from the time where Morrissey acknowledges that he'd said some unkind things about Bowie, but that he was sure Bowie knew it was just "snot nosed junior high ribbing" on Morrissey's part.
This bit from Autobiography always makes me chuckle:

I meet David Bowie for breakfast at a discreet restaurant at the foot of the Hollywood Hills. Both standing at the buffet with our empty plates, David hovers over what are horrifically called ‘cold cuts’. I nestle up beside him.

‘David, you’re not actually going to eat that stuff, are you?’

Rumbled, he snaps: ‘Oh, you must be HELL to live with.’

‘Yes, I am,’ I say proudly, as David changes course and sidles off towards the fruit salad, and another soul is saved from the burning fires of self-imposed eternal damnation.
Putting a little stick about. Putting the frighteners on flash little twerps

Silent Majority
User avatar
Singer-Songwriter Nancy
Posts: 15787
Joined: 10 Nov 2008, 8:28pm
Location: A republic of mind

Re: The All Smiths/Morrissey Thread

Post by Silent Majority »

I'm pretty much a pescatarian these days, but you better believe I'll stuff my face with a beef burger if I ever find myself sitting with Morrissey at lunch.
Authority is supposedly grounded in wisdom, but I could see from a very early age that authority was only a system of control and it didn't have any inherent wisdom. I quickly realised that you either became a power or you were crushed


www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

WestwayKid
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 3676
Joined: 20 Sep 2017, 8:22am
Location: Mill-e-wah-que

Re: The All Smiths/Morrissey Thread

Post by WestwayKid »

Silent Majority wrote:
24 Jan 2019, 2:43pm
I'm pretty much a pescatarian these days, but you better believe I'll stuff my face with a beef burger if I ever find myself sitting with Morrissey at lunch.
Ha, ha - agreed!
"Geoff who takes kids camping is dead all the boys except Rusty are missing." - revbob
"Tom checks the ingredients on "Uncle Pusher's Old Timey Cocaine Filled Cider" - Silent Majority

WestwayKid
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 3676
Joined: 20 Sep 2017, 8:22am
Location: Mill-e-wah-que

Re: The All Smiths/Morrissey Thread

Post by WestwayKid »

Kory wrote:
24 Jan 2019, 1:27pm
WestwayKid wrote:
24 Jan 2019, 11:16am
Listening to Ringleader this morning - it's a really solid album. Alain Whyte's songwriting is really, really solid - probably some of his best moments as a songwriting partner with Morrissey. "Life Is a Pigsty" is a really great track. The album sounds tough - tons of glam riffs from Whyte, Boorer and Tobias. Great rhythm section in Matt Chamberlain and Gary Day. I've always thought Morrissey sounds his best when he has a heavy hitter behind the kit - which is where an album like You are the Quarry falls short. Also - I'm not sure that Morrissey has ever recovered from the loss of Whyte. Years of Refusal was a good album...but World Peace and Low in High School haven't been as good (at least not in my opinion).
Maybe he'll return like Gary Day did. Briefly.
...or Spencer Cobrin!
"Geoff who takes kids camping is dead all the boys except Rusty are missing." - revbob
"Tom checks the ingredients on "Uncle Pusher's Old Timey Cocaine Filled Cider" - Silent Majority

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 88635
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia

Re: The All Smiths/Morrissey Thread

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Silent Majority wrote:
24 Jan 2019, 2:43pm
I'm pretty much a pescatarian these days, but you better believe I'll stuff my face with a beef burger if I ever find myself sitting with Morrissey at lunch.
Or Chinese food with beef. May as well go full-on sub-human.
Back off, or I'll blow the roof off—with sound!

Kory
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 12208
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 1:42pm
Location: In the Discosphere

Re: The All Smiths/Morrissey Thread

Post by Kory »

WestwayKid wrote:
24 Jan 2019, 3:23pm
Kory wrote:
24 Jan 2019, 1:27pm
WestwayKid wrote:
24 Jan 2019, 11:16am
Listening to Ringleader this morning - it's a really solid album. Alain Whyte's songwriting is really, really solid - probably some of his best moments as a songwriting partner with Morrissey. "Life Is a Pigsty" is a really great track. The album sounds tough - tons of glam riffs from Whyte, Boorer and Tobias. Great rhythm section in Matt Chamberlain and Gary Day. I've always thought Morrissey sounds his best when he has a heavy hitter behind the kit - which is where an album like You are the Quarry falls short. Also - I'm not sure that Morrissey has ever recovered from the loss of Whyte. Years of Refusal was a good album...but World Peace and Low in High School haven't been as good (at least not in my opinion).
Maybe he'll return like Gary Day did. Briefly.
...or Spencer Cobrin!
I gotta say the new band is pretty shit-hot though, at least live. This performance on YouTube is quite energetic:

WWK: I feel confident we haven't heard the last from Dr. Harvey Camel.

WestwayKid
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 3676
Joined: 20 Sep 2017, 8:22am
Location: Mill-e-wah-que

Re: The All Smiths/Morrissey Thread

Post by WestwayKid »

Kory wrote:
24 Jan 2019, 4:09pm
WestwayKid wrote:
24 Jan 2019, 3:23pm
Kory wrote:
24 Jan 2019, 1:27pm
WestwayKid wrote:
24 Jan 2019, 11:16am
Listening to Ringleader this morning - it's a really solid album. Alain Whyte's songwriting is really, really solid - probably some of his best moments as a songwriting partner with Morrissey. "Life Is a Pigsty" is a really great track. The album sounds tough - tons of glam riffs from Whyte, Boorer and Tobias. Great rhythm section in Matt Chamberlain and Gary Day. I've always thought Morrissey sounds his best when he has a heavy hitter behind the kit - which is where an album like You are the Quarry falls short. Also - I'm not sure that Morrissey has ever recovered from the loss of Whyte. Years of Refusal was a good album...but World Peace and Low in High School haven't been as good (at least not in my opinion).
Maybe he'll return like Gary Day did. Briefly.
...or Spencer Cobrin!
I gotta say the new band is pretty shit-hot though, at least live. This performance on YouTube is quite energetic:

No doubt - his current band is quite good live and it's always great to see Boz still rocking!
"Geoff who takes kids camping is dead all the boys except Rusty are missing." - revbob
"Tom checks the ingredients on "Uncle Pusher's Old Timey Cocaine Filled Cider" - Silent Majority

Kory
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 12208
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 1:42pm
Location: In the Discosphere

Re: The All Smiths/Morrissey Thread

Post by Kory »

WestwayKid wrote:
24 Jan 2019, 8:03am
Curious to know everyone's Morrissey solo LP ranking? Here's mine:

1) Vauxhall & I
2) Your Arsenal (My top-2 are very, very close)
3) Viva Hate
4) Southpaw Grammar (I'm using the remaster - but the original still would have been top-5)
5) Maladjusted (I'm again going with the remaster - the original version would have been further down the list)
6) Ringleader of the Tormentors
7) You Are the Quarry
8) Years of Refusal
9) Kill Uncle
10) Low in High School
11) World Peace is None of Your Business (This has always been a really hard album for me to get into)

I'm not including Bona Drag as it wasn't a proper album - but if you want to include it - go ahead. I'd probably slot it between Viva Hate and Southpaw.

I also used the remastered versions of Southpaw and Maladjusted because I'm buying into Morrissey's revisionist history regarding those two albums.

Low in High School might climb eventually - I'm still working on figuring that one out.
I'm going to include Bona Drag and My Early Burglary Years because I listen to them as frequently as the albums and I think they hang together just as well.

1. Your Arsenal
2. Vauxhall & I
3. Bona Drag
4. Viva Hate
5. Kill Uncle
6. My Early Burglary Years
7. Southpaw Grammar
8. Years of Refusal
9. Ringleader of the Tormentors
10. You Are the Quarry
11. Low in High School
12. Maladjusted
13. World Peace is None of Your Business
WWK: I feel confident we haven't heard the last from Dr. Harvey Camel.

Post Reply