Kory wrote:
29 Jan 2019, 6:35pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
29 Jan 2019, 6:05pm
Kory wrote:
29 Jan 2019, 4:16pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
28 Jan 2019, 6:36pm
Fight, you shitbirds, fight and claw and gouge at each other …
https://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/ann- ... order-wall
Man, Coulter is sad. What was that, like, 10 Tweets to tell pretty much the same joke?
It's like she's in the comedy writer's room. “Coulter, give me 10 Gingrich jokes by noon!”
I kinda just feel like she's thinking "I hope he sees this one. Ok I hope he sees THIS one, it's really gonna zing him. Why isn't he responding?"
Have you ever read one of her books? I listened to one about fifteen years ago. Horrible, inane crap. The only way I made it to the end was by pretending it was a parody of dumbass right-wing spittle.
Why would you ever spend your time on something like that? Is it just a "know your enemy" kind of thing?
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: The Future of the Republican Party

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
29 Jan 2019, 8:10pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
29 Jan 2019, 7:42pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
29 Jan 2019, 4:16pm

Man, Coulter is sad. What was that, like, 10 Tweets to tell pretty much the same joke?
It's like she's in the comedy writer's room. “Coulter, give me 10 Gingrich jokes by noon!”
I kinda just feel like she's thinking "I hope he sees this one. Ok I hope he sees THIS one, it's really gonna zing him. Why isn't he responding?"
Have you ever read one of her books? I listened to one about fifteen years ago. Horrible, inane crap. The only way I made it to the end was by pretending it was a parody of dumbass right-wing spittle.
Why would you ever spend your time on something like that? Is it just a "know your enemy" kind of thing?
Morbid curiosity. I knew it would be awful, but had no idea it would be total gibberish. It was the beginning of my understanding that contemporary conservatism is just a goddamned temper tantrum by bigots. We're several decades past conservative intellectuals.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
29 Jan 2019, 8:40pm
Kory wrote:
29 Jan 2019, 8:10pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
29 Jan 2019, 7:42pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Morbid curiosity. I knew it would be awful, but had no idea it would be total gibberish. It was the beginning of my understanding that contemporary conservatism is just a goddamned temper tantrum by bigots. We're several decades past conservative intellectuals.
Several.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Thinking about cretins like Coulter and Gingrich - it feels like nothing more than a battle to stay not just relevant - but also the most relevant. How dumb can I be? How obnoxious can I be? How horrible of a person can I be? If they can keep people talking about them - they can retain listeners and sponsors and relevance (at least relevance in their sphere of crazy). I'm maybe giving them too much credit - so maybe it's just a matter of survival instinct.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

WestwayKid wrote:
30 Jan 2019, 11:25am
Thinking about cretins like Coulter and Gingrich - it feels like nothing more than a battle to stay not just relevant - but also the most relevant. How dumb can I be? How obnoxious can I be? How horrible of a person can I be? If they can keep people talking about them - they can retain listeners and sponsors and relevance (at least relevance in their sphere of crazy). I'm maybe giving them too much credit - so maybe it's just a matter of survival instinct.
A book came out maybe eight years ago—can't recall the title right now, but it's by a historian named Kabaservice(sp?)—that suggests the Republican party has been acting out the supposed trauma of the Eisenhower years, when the sinister liberal Republicans sold out and accepted the welfare state. Ever since, there's been a civil war to purify the party of that heresy, but it's taken on a life of its own, constantly redefining liberalism within and purging it. So angry faction keeps going further and further right and attacking the "moderates" as RINOs and the like because its needs that fuel of the purge. There is no end point to what they're doing, just an addiction that needs a crazier and crazier fix all over again. Trump, in that sense, is no accident and no end point until(?) the party isn't electorally viable.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/30/tech/fox ... index.html

This is big news around here. The deal was pushed upon us by former governor Scott Walker and our lovely GOP state government. They gave them a ton of tax breaks - looked the other way regarding environmental concerns - paid a ton of money on infrastructure - and so on because Foxconn promised they'd bring a ton of manufacturing jobs to southeastern Wisconsin. Heck - they even had DJT in for the groundbreaking ceremony. They're now hedging on the manufacturing jobs (they were going to build LCD screens) because the global economy is shifting (no kidding). They claim they're still committed to the project, but now the jobs will probably be research & development jobs instead of blue color manufacturing - so John Q. Public with his high school diploma in Mt. Pleasant, Wisconsin isn't going to get the decent paying job he was promised - heck, that we were promised when the deal was forced down our throats and yet the state GOP is doing everything they can to dodge the blame!? They're trying to pin it on our new governor - who has been in office for less than a month!! They made a horrible deal with a multinational company. They were conned, duped, whatever...and they can't (or won't) own up to it.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

I should add that it will take us until 2043 to recoup the tax revenue that was given away to Foxconn...

oliver
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by oliver »

WestwayKid wrote:
31 Jan 2019, 7:42am

This is big news around here. The deal was pushed upon us by former governor Scott Walker and our lovely GOP state government. They gave them a ton of tax breaks - looked the other way regarding environmental concerns - paid a ton of money on infrastructure - and so on because Foxconn promised they'd bring a ton of manufacturing jobs to southeastern Wisconsin. Heck - they even had DJT in for the groundbreaking ceremony. They're now hedging on the manufacturing jobs (they were going to build LCD screens) because the global economy is shifting (no kidding). They claim they're still committed to the project, but now the jobs will probably be research & development jobs instead of blue color manufacturing - so John Q. Public with his high school diploma in Mt. Pleasant, Wisconsin isn't going to get the decent paying job he was promised - heck, that we were promised when the deal was forced down our throats and yet the state GOP is doing everything they can to dodge the blame!? They're trying to pin it on our new governor - who has been in office for less than a month!! They made a horrible deal with a multinational company. They were conned, duped, whatever...and they can't (or won't) own up to it.
This was an interesting podcast on it from a couple of months ago
https://www.gimletmedia.com/reply-all/1 ... t-pleasant

The stuff about declaring the land as blighted and forcing people to leave so Foxconn could build is shocking. Even more so with the news from a couple of days ago.
Putting a little stick about. Putting the frighteners on flash little twerps

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

oliver wrote:
31 Jan 2019, 9:47am
WestwayKid wrote:

The stuff about declaring the land as blighted and forcing people to leave so Foxconn could build is shocking. Even more so with the news from a couple of days ago.
I will definitely give this a listen. The whole deal was terrible from the beginning - even a lot of right leaning business publications called it a bad deal - but our state government had such starry eyes that they failed to see that they were giving away the farm in exchange for the promise of manufacturing jobs.

Just some of the highlights:

More than 4.5 billion in tax payer subsidies, most of it in the form of direct cash payouts straight from the taxpayers of this state. The cost per household is about $1,000.

Exemptions from smog and other environmental regulations and the right to divert streams and from filing an environment impact study.

Special privileges - including the ability to deal directly with the state supreme court.

Expanded eminent domain privileges - basically like you mentioned - they want your land - they get to take your land.

It's becoming apparent that Foxconn never planned on meeting their commitment. The idea that they're suddenly having to retool because of competition from China is ridiculous. It isn't like the global manufacturing landscape has changed dramatically over the last year. They saw a governor and state legislature and a POTUS who were ripe for the taking: give them a good bit of PR and they'll give you anything you want and then once the project is past the point of no return - just start changing the deal as you see fit.

Many people in Wisconsin opposed the plan. It didn't take much common sense to realize it was a very iffy proposition and that the cost was just too high on so many levels.

I like to think it was part of what got Walker voted out in November.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

oliver wrote:
31 Jan 2019, 9:47am
WestwayKid wrote:

Former SOTH Paul Ryan also has his hands dirty on this. Foxconn is being built in his (and sadly my) former congressional district.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

If you were tasked with creating a composite picture of a Republican, this is what you'd come up with: https://www.cnn.com/2019/02/12/us/eric- ... 1550062868

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
13 Feb 2019, 9:02am
If you were tasked with creating a composite picture of a Republican, this is what you'd come up with: https://www.cnn.com/2019/02/12/us/eric- ... 1550062868
Or a UK tory. Motherfucker could pass for Eric Pickles.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.indepe ... html%3famp
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Silent Majority wrote:
13 Feb 2019, 10:06am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Or a UK tory. Motherfucker could pass for Eric Pickles.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.indepe ... html%3famp
Or a great example of why you can't marry your cousin in most states...

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Ladies and gentlemen, your master race.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
I was going to make fun of the photo and at the last second went, "hold on, let me check if this guy is blind..."
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.