Music opinion/question of the week...

General music discussion.
Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Re: Music opinion/question of the week...

Post by Silent Majority »

101Walterton wrote:
29 Jan 2019, 2:39pm
Marky Dread wrote:
29 Jan 2019, 2:37pm
101Walterton wrote:
29 Jan 2019, 2:34pm
It is an interesting debate and I don’t have an answer other than personal preference which isn’t consistent.
I believe no Mick no Clash. I think Mick was too integral to all that was good about the Clash, their point of difference.
But my view of the Specials isn’t consistent. The 6 of the original line up (not including Rico / Dick) sounded the same without Jerry although he was all over the songs they played but I considered them the Specials. There were other releases under the Specials name I don’t consider to be the Specials (without Terry singing) and now they have a new album I do consider to be the Specials (kind of / just) even though there are only 3 of them.
Can’t justify my inconsistency it is what it is.
...a clue.
Haha yes I tend to go with the singer side of the argument. You can play the same piano notes or guitar chords but you can’t sing someone else’s voice.
I agree with this, but only to an extent. The counter argument is a worthwhile musician's timbre. For an easy example, compare Mick Jones playing Clash songs to the sleepy bee sound of the Mescaleros guitarist playing them.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
29 Jan 2019, 1:50pm
WestwayKid wrote:
29 Jan 2019, 1:42pm
I like how New Order handled it. They carried on as a "new" band following Ian Curtis' death and established their own legacy before playing Joy Division songs again.
I find them still trading under the New Order brand with Hooky out is a bit unseemly. His bass sound is so clearly part of the NO thing that his absence just ain't right. Even tho that album w/o him was pretty good.
It is tough to see them without him - but having seen the Peter Hook-less New Order in concert twice - they still sound fantastic and Tom Chapman does a great job of sounding like him. Guess it's easier to replace a signature instrument than it is to replace a signature voice.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Marky Dread wrote:
29 Jan 2019, 2:45pm
101Walterton wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
It is an interesting debate and I don’t have an answer other than personal preference which isn’t consistent.
I believe no Mick no Clash. I think Mick was too integral to all that was good about the Clash, their point of difference.
But my view of the Specials isn’t consistent. The 6 of the original line up (not including Rico / Dick) sounded the same without Jerry although he was all over the songs they played but I considered them the Specials. There were other releases under the Specials name I don’t consider to be the Specials (without Terry singing) and now they have a new album I do consider to be the Specials (kind of / just) even though there are only 3 of them.
...a clue.
Haha yes I tend to go with the singer side of the argument. You can play the same piano notes or guitar chords but you can’t sing someone else’s voice.
Apparently you can.
Shit that is good and yes he does sound like Terry.
Marky did you hear about Rankin Roger?

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

101Walterton wrote:
29 Jan 2019, 2:55pm
Marky Dread wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
...a clue.
Apparently you can.
No what's happened to RR?

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Marky Dread wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

...a clue.
Apparently you can.
I read that he was pretty sick - brain tumors & lung cancer...but he posted a video where he talks about his illnesses and it sounds like it might be treatable?
Last edited by WestwayKid on 29 Jan 2019, 3:02pm, edited 2 times in total.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

WestwayKid wrote:
29 Jan 2019, 3:00pm
Marky Dread wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
101Walterton wrote:

Apparently you can.
I read that he's pretty sick - brain tumors & lung cancer... :meh:
Damn. Fuck cancer!

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Marky Dread wrote:
29 Jan 2019, 3:01pm
WestwayKid wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

Apparently you can.
Damn. Fuck cancer!
Yes he had a seizure and they found 2 brain tumours one of which he had removed. He started chemo for lung cancer but that caused another seizure so he is having different treatment

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

101Walterton wrote:
29 Jan 2019, 3:06pm
Marky Dread wrote:
29 Jan 2019, 3:01pm
WestwayKid wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
101Walterton wrote:

Damn. Fuck cancer!
Yes he had a seizure and they found 2 brain tumours one of which he had removed. He started chemo for lung cancer but that caused another seizure so he is having different treatment
Can only wish him well.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

I saw the Dead Boys last year with a replacement singer for Stiv Bators and a replacement guitarist for Jimmy Zero, but with Cheetah Chrome and Johnny Blitz still in it. Wasn't a "real" Dead Boys show by my instincts, but it was a great fuckin' time. When I've seen Brian, he's always been playing with more official members of the Beach Boys than the Mike Love Boys official version (and I think the 50th reunion shows were The Real Deal despite being down a couple Wilsons).

I saw a pre-Riot Fest Reunion lineup of the Misfits that was Jerry Only and a bunch of nobodies and it was unbearable. I wouldn't even say that I saw a "real" post-Danzig Misfits lineup, previous iterations of which usually at least had some other good band members.

Seeing Wayne Kramer tour as the MC50 supergroup was a great way to split the difference - something more than a cover band but not pretending to be The Real Deal. I think From The Jam is a similar situation.

A couple bands I recall having no original members left: the Cro-Mags and Napalm Death. The latter still puts on an insanely good show and those early lineups were so volatile that I don't hold it against them. I'm not sure how or why the Cro-Mags are still an ongoing affair, tho.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

I remember reading once that Quiet Riot (a) still exists and (b) contains zero original members, and only the drummer is left from its Metal Health most popular period (so, like zero musicians [luv ya, Hoy]). Best case, Quiet Riot is a concept greater than its membership; worst case, it's a self-tribute band.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
29 Jan 2019, 9:24pm
I remember reading once that Quiet Riot (a) still exists and (b) contains zero original members, and only the drummer is left from its Metal Health most popular period (so, like zero musicians [luv ya, Hoy]). Best case, Quiet Riot is a concept greater than its membership; worst case, it's a self-tribute band.
I saw part of a "rockumentary" about them a few years ago and like the next day saw the drummer at an airport in Texas. It was weird.

BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Post by BostonBeaneater »

revbob wrote:
29 Jan 2019, 11:08pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
I saw part of a "rockumentary" about them a few years ago and like the next day saw the drummer at an airport in Texas. It was weird.
This is a fantastic documentary. See it.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Did he give you extra garlic bread with your order?
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
30 Jan 2019, 6:03am
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Did he give you extra garlic bread with your order?
Haha you crack me up sometimes doc. :lol:

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
I actually saw Quiet Riot live in maybe 1998-99!? They played a local rock club in Milwaukee and for some reason we ended up there. I'm not a metal guy - but it was tolerable. That said - it was the complete Metal Health lineup.