Return of the Mighty Observations Thread

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Kory
Unknown Immortal

Re: Return of the Mighty Observations Thread

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
29 Jan 2019, 7:28pm
Kory wrote:
29 Jan 2019, 6:34pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
29 Jan 2019, 6:02pm
Kory wrote:
29 Jan 2019, 4:10pm
We're both quite independent. I think it will be challenging for sure, but 3 years doesn't seem like enough time for me to give up the only job I've ever been able to stand that pays me to live, and given that we want to come back to Seattle eventually, it doesn't make sense for both of us to go live in another city where the cost of living is lower (meaning the wages would be lower, meaning we would never be able to afford to come back). Also, she's prone to injury already, and with this big injury in her past, it's likely to happen again, so going to live there and having her get injured within like 1 year or something seems too risky.

The downside is she really wants to get away from her current boss but we can't yet afford for her to move to another city and be able to maintain a long distance marriage. So we're saving up over the course of this year and hopefully she can move next year.
That sounds sensible and seems like you've had some good conversations. I wonder, tho, is your employer in a position to give you a leave of absence? That'd be the one way of protecting your job and still giving you a chance to be together.
My direct boss has told me he's a big proponent of telecommuting, and that he'd like to set up a situation in the company in which employees can work remotely for up to a week or so, which would be mega-helpful for this kind of thing (right now we are only able to do 40% of our time). I haven't been a full time employee with the company long enough, but after (I think) 5 years, I can take a sabbatical, so we would probably use that time to go to Australia or something. But no, the projects here move to fast to let me go for an extended leave of any kind.
That's a shame. In creative professions, the importance of being on-site is so over-stated.
I agree. It's harder where I'm at because I belong to just the creative marketing division of a multifaceted nonprofit rather than to just a dedicated ad agency, for example, so I have to adhere to the rules of the company as a whole—most of which is researchers, client support, program developers, program managers, etc. However, my boss is pretty lenient so I kind of come and go as I please as long as the work gets finished.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
29 Jan 2019, 7:45pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
29 Jan 2019, 4:10pm
We're both quite independent. I think it will be challenging for sure, but 3 years doesn't seem like enough time for me to give up the only job I've ever been able to stand that pays me to live, and given that we want to come back to Seattle eventually, it doesn't make sense for both of us to go live in another city where the cost of living is lower (meaning the wages would be lower, meaning we would never be able to afford to come back). Also, she's prone to injury already, and with this big injury in her past, it's likely to happen again, so going to live there and having her get injured within like 1 year or something seems too risky.

The downside is she really wants to get away from her current boss but we can't yet afford for her to move to another city and be able to maintain a long distance marriage. So we're saving up over the course of this year and hopefully she can move next year.
That sounds sensible and seems like you've had some good conversations. I wonder, tho, is your employer in a position to give you a leave of absence? That'd be the one way of protecting your job and still giving you a chance to be together.
My direct boss has told me he's a big proponent of telecommuting, and that he'd like to set up a situation in the company in which employees can work remotely for up to a week or so, which would be mega-helpful for this kind of thing (right now we are only able to do 40% of our time). I haven't been a full time employee with the company long enough, but after (I think) 5 years, I can take a sabbatical, so we would probably use that time to go to Australia or something. But no, the projects here move to fast to let me go for an extended leave of any kind.
That's a shame. In creative professions, the importance of being on-site is so over-stated.
I agree. It's harder where I'm at because I belong to just the creative marketing division of a multifaceted nonprofit rather than to just a dedicated ad agency, for example, so I have to adhere to the rules of the company as a whole—most of which is researchers, client support, program developers, program managers, etc. However, my boss is pretty lenient so I kind of come and go as I please as long as the work gets finished.
Well, it's cool that you have a boss who is focused on the end goal rather than emphasizing standardized behaviour. My happiness at a job is usually connected with being left the fuck alone to do the work.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
29 Jan 2019, 8:32pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Well, it's cool that you have a boss who is focused on the end goal rather than emphasizing standardized behaviour. My happiness at a job is usually connected with being left the fuck alone to do the work.
I'm the same. Every once in a while we get a really "hands-on" project manager who invariably drives me up the damn wall because she's constantly checking in with me. Which, of course, paradoxically means I have less to update her on because I'm not fucking doing anything other than talking to her.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
29 Jan 2019, 8:42pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:

I'm the same. Every once in a while we get a really "hands-on" project manager who invariably drives me up the damn wall because she's constantly checking in with me. Which, of course, paradoxically means I have less to update her on because I'm not fucking doing anything other than talking to her.
Only tangentially related, but I'm sharing because I love the line. A former friend was the shipper in a warehouse. Did his job quite well, but he was proprietary of his territory and when he was done his work, his attitude was that everyone else could fuck off, he was going to read. To the point that he built a hiding place in the warehouse where he'd go to read. Anyway, he was called into the boss' office one day and told that he had a bad attitude towards his job. He replied, "No, I have a bad attitude towards doing other people's job. I do my job well. Don't blame me for everyone else fucking around."
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Sorry to hear that Doc.

You're always welcome here. We've got the cosmopolitan flair of Ottawa coupled with the barren despair of Saskatchewan.

It's funny, I'm rooting for you staying in Ottawa for my own selfish reasons even though we've never actually gotten together in the time that you've been out east. I just looked it up and you're under 4 hrs away. I've been to Montreal countless times but not to Ottawa even though I have family there.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
29 Jan 2019, 11:24pm
Sorry to hear that Doc.

You're always welcome here. We've got the cosmopolitan flair of Ottawa coupled with the barren despair of Saskatchewan.
Translated: Phish rulessss!
It's funny, I'm rooting for you staying in Ottawa for my own selfish reasons even though we've never actually gotten together in the time that you've been out east. I just looked it up and you're under 4 hrs away. I've been to Montreal countless times but not to Ottawa even though I have family there.
Yeah, I'd still like to get together with the various New England crew at some point.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
30 Jan 2019, 5:54am
revbob wrote:
29 Jan 2019, 11:24pm
Sorry to hear that Doc.

Translated: Phish rulessss!
Yeah, I'd still like to get together with the various New England crew at some point.
That would be a good time.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
29 Jan 2019, 9:04pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Only tangentially related, but I'm sharing because I love the line. A former friend was the shipper in a warehouse. Did his job quite well, but he was proprietary of his territory and when he was done his work, his attitude was that everyone else could fuck off, he was going to read. To the point that he built a hiding place in the warehouse where he'd go to read. Anyway, he was called into the boss' office one day and told that he had a bad attitude towards his job. He replied, "No, I have a bad attitude towards doing other people's job. I do my job well. Don't blame me for everyone else fucking around."
Did he get a raise?

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
30 Jan 2019, 1:34pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:

Did he get a raise?
He was left alone, which was worth more in his view.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
30 Jan 2019, 2:03pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Did he get a raise?
I’d concur with that.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
30 Jan 2019, 2:03pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Did he get a raise?
There's a lesson there for all of us.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

To being a weird loner!

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Doc - it sounds stressful. Keep us posted. You could always come to the Jortsville!
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

JennyB wrote:
30 Jan 2019, 3:12pm
Doc - it sounds stressful. Keep us posted. You could always come to the Jortsville!
IT'S QUITE LITERALLY A TRAP

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

JennyB wrote:
30 Jan 2019, 3:12pm
Are you talking a Leaving Las Vegas-style suicide mission? Because I'm keeping options open.