WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Re: The Beatles song you're thinking about right now thread

Post by WestwayKid »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
31 Jan 2019, 4:24pm
WestwayKid wrote:
31 Jan 2019, 4:05pm
I remember the first time I heard the White Album. I was maybe 12. My dad who was born in 1950 grew up with the Beatles - but he'd lost interest after Pepper - so I had all of their albums up through that one as part of my musical education and then I heard the White Album and my mind was blown. It was so weird and wonderful and insane and catchy. That first listen was one of the best musical moments of my life.
The first Beatles lp's I heard were the Red and Blue compilations (before that, my sisters had their earliest 45's, which I heard when I was about 8), but the first proper one was the White Album. It's a beautiful mess, with no unifying theme other than contradiction and divergent paths.
My dad didn't have the hippest musical tastes for someone who came of age in the 1960's :mrgreen: , but I had access to all of his Beatles albums (Meet the Beatles through Pepper). I think he actually has more interesting musical taste right now at 68 then he did when I was a kid!!
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

I see Peter Jackson's new project is putting together a lost Beatles film of the making of Let It Be and the last live performance on the Apple rooftop.

coffeepotman
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by coffeepotman »

101Walterton wrote:
31 Jan 2019, 6:40pm
I see Peter Jackson's new project is putting together a lost Beatles film of the making of Let It Be and the last live performance on the Apple rooftop.
I am very excited about this project! Hopefully he can salvage the mess that was the Let it Be film and make something brand new, that isn't so fucking depressing

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

coffeepotman wrote:
31 Jan 2019, 7:07pm
101Walterton wrote:
I am very excited about this project! Hopefully he can salvage the mess that was the Let it Be film and make something brand new, that isn't so fucking depressing
If it isn't depressing, it'll be some very sneaky editing to construct a false narrative. The band were in bad straits in January 1969. That they still produced a lot of marvellous music is because, well, they were the fucking Beatles. The amazing thing is that they didn't just pull the plug right there and instead made one more wonderful effort in Abbey Road. Actually, that would be the way to make it less depressing—the point of the narrative has to trace massive internal discord but still gets to Abbey Road.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
31 Jan 2019, 7:21pm
coffeepotman wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
If it isn't depressing, it'll be some very sneaky editing to construct a false narrative. The band were in bad straits in January 1969. That they still produced a lot of marvellous music is because, well, they were the fucking Beatles. The amazing thing is that they didn't just pull the plug right there and instead made one more wonderful effort in Abbey Road. Actually, that would be the way to make it less depressing—the point of the narrative has to trace massive internal discord but still gets to Abbey Road.
Saw an interview with Jackson last night. He has viewed all the footage, obviously, and there is a lot of it. He said that despite the tensions in the group at the time there is a lot of great stuff especially in the studio as they are creating some great Beatles tracks. he said you would never know the issues existed.
I got the impression his focus was more on their creative genius than the fall out.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

101Walterton wrote:
31 Jan 2019, 8:20pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
coffeepotman wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
Saw an interview with Jackson last night. He has viewed all the footage, obviously, and there is a lot of it. He said that despite the tensions in the group at the time there is a lot of great stuff especially in the studio as they are creating some great Beatles tracks. he said you would never know the issues existed.
I got the impression his focus was more on their creative genius than the fall out.
That's a legit angle, don't get me wrong, but to paper over the fact that these guys were really sick of each other, magnifying insecurities and pet peeves, would be to ignoring the elephant in the room. That they did produce a number of amazing songs—I know people shit on it as overly maudlin, but I love "Let It Be" for its earnestness—is best appreciated by foregrounding that discord.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
31 Jan 2019, 8:26pm
101Walterton wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
coffeepotman wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
That's a legit angle, don't get me wrong, but to paper over the fact that these guys were really sick of each other, magnifying insecurities and pet peeves, would be to ignoring the elephant in the room. That they did produce a number of amazing songs—I know people shit on it as overly maudlin, but I love "Let It Be" for its earnestness—is best appreciated by foregrounding that discord.
The footage will speak for itself he will just bring it to life as he did with that WW1 film.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

101Walterton wrote:
31 Jan 2019, 8:36pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
coffeepotman wrote:

The footage will speak for itself he will just bring it to life as he did with that WW1 film.
I don't what history you've read, but World War I did not involve orcs.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
31 Jan 2019, 8:40pm
101Walterton wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Was Mr Miyagi in it? If so then I saw that movie.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Do you think I am stupid!!! I know Peter Jackson directed the movie blockbuster trilogy featuring Orcs, it was a cinematic masterpiece. Although I thought Free Willy 2 and 3 were not as good as the first one.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

101Walterton wrote:
31 Jan 2019, 9:34pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
101Walterton wrote:

Do you think I am stupid!!! I know Peter Jackson directed the movie blockbuster trilogy featuring Orcs, it was a cinematic masterpiece. Although I thought Free Willy 2 and 3 were not as good as the first one.
Okay, I guffawed.

Tangentially, the Boss revealed to me yesterday that she was traumatized by the scene in Orca where a woman has her leg ripped off (I've never seen the movie myself).

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
31 Jan 2019, 9:58pm
101Walterton wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Okay, I guffawed.

Tangentially, the Boss revealed to me yesterday that she was traumatized by the scene in Orca where a woman has her leg ripped off (I've never seen the movie myself).
They ain't called killer whales for nothing.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Marky Dread wrote:
31 Jan 2019, 10:00pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
101Walterton wrote:

Okay, I guffawed.

Technically they are. They don't kill people although they do kill lots of other things, rays, seals, sharks but they didn't name them Killer Whales human's did.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

101Walterton wrote:
31 Jan 2019, 10:15pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Okay, I guffawed.

Technically they are. They don't kill people although they do kill lots of other things, rays, seals, sharks but they didn't name them Killer Whales human's did.
They are still called whales though right? Hey it's just a movie you know 😁

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Marky Dread wrote:
31 Jan 2019, 10:31pm
101Walterton wrote:
31 Jan 2019, 10:15pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
101Walterton wrote:

Okay, I guffawed.

They are still called whales though right? Hey it's just a movie you know 😁
Yes but technically that isn't right either they are dolphins.