The Specials

General music discussion.
aza
Bang Ice Geezer

Re: The Specials

Post by aza »

the album is just immense (imo). so much to say, so well said. I'd consider more of a FB3 album than Specials, but all good.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

aza wrote:
02 Feb 2019, 8:44am
the album is just immense (imo). so much to say, so well said. I'd consider more of a FB3 album than Specials, but all good.
Why FB3 apart from the fact they cover one of their songs?
I haven’t heard it yet but Vote For Me is Ghost Town pt 2.

aza
Bang Ice Geezer

Post by aza »

101Walterton wrote:
02 Feb 2019, 3:55pm
aza wrote:
I guess it feels playful in a similar way, comparing the first 2 Specials to FB3, esp Waiting. I feel Dammers input lacking, though not missing if that makes sense.. but check and let me know if you feel similarly/differently..

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

101Walterton wrote:
02 Feb 2019, 3:55pm
aza wrote:
By the way "Lunatics" was written while the Specials were still going and was to be the follow up to "Ghost Town".

Edit : love the album.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Marky, Laxman, aza full reviews please.

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

101Walterton wrote:
03 Feb 2019, 8:46pm
Hello,

It's a good album - not great, but good and solid. I think it could have used more ska and more energy The previous post about being a FBT album is clear as some of the tracks have the same pace, energy as FBT. It's a more diverse album than other albums (I like the energetic funk tracks). I understand the boys are not the same as they were in the 70's-80's but more up-beat stuff would have been good. The lyrics are contemporary and good - the personal content is nice in BLM - my wife identified with this very much. Bottom line, if they're happy with the content, great! I would have liked more ska, more energy - but that's me.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

101Walterton wrote:
I don't really agree with the FB3 comparrisons as they were a much more rhythmic sounding group. This feels like a natural follow on from "More Specials" to me. A lot less ska and more pop if you like but everything works really good. After a couple of plays you can hear elements of The Colourfield but with more of a politicized lyrical content. Not a bad song on the whole album for me.

1/2: The first two tracks "Black Skinned Blue Eyed Boys" the old Equals song and "B.L.M" (Black Lives Matter) have a distinct 70's funky feel to them and reminds me of Curtis Mayfield. The later track being Lynval's experience of the cold way some of the Windrush generation were treated that had a huge impact on his life with racism.

3: "Vote for Me" is the single and obviously a state of the nation address regarding fake political promises and lies. This track would've fitted in nicely on "More Specials".

4: Next up is "The Lunatics" a song that I've always loved and I personally prefer the FB3 version. But this is still a nice reworking.

5: "Breaking Point" set to a plodding beat . A lyric about modern life/social media/Riots etc.

6: "Blam Blam Fever" (AKA Guns Fever) A straight up solid cover of The Valentines ska/rock steady classic.

7: "10 Commandments" not a cover of the old Prince Buster song but a song sang from a female perspective of the way women are treated in our society with vocals by Saffiyah Khan. Think of a distant cousin to "The Boiler".

8: "Embarrassed By You" a lyric about youths who see no way out and turn to crime and live up to the media stereo-types wearing hoodies/robbing/knife crime etc. Is this what our grandfathers fought the war for?

9: "The Life And Times (Of A Man Called Depression)" A laid back groove with a piano steal from "Riders on the Storm". Nice sounding horns and a tune that at times uses Dave Brubeck's "Take Five". Terry's song about the perception/treatment of those living with depression. I can identify heavy with this one.

10: "We Sell Hope" ending the album with a positive vibe. A lyric that says all is not lost and just learn to live with each other regardless of race/ideology. The original Specials message.

A very solid album for these times. I hope there will be more to come.

I understand some people will be expecting an upbeat album of ska like the debut. But I'm glad these 60 somethings didn't try to recapture the old glory days and instead have given us a solid album with durability.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Thanks gkbill and Marky.
I never expected to hear a Concrete Jungle or Little Bitch, as Marky said these guys are 40 years older!!
What I was hopeful for was a Why? or follow up to Ghost Town which I think Vote For Me does well.
I have listened to the live tracks and enjoyed Lynval's version of Redemption Song.
Looking forward to this even more now.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

101Walterton wrote:
04 Feb 2019, 8:21pm
Thanks gkbill and Marky.
I never expected to hear a Concrete Jungle or Little Bitch, as Marky said these guys are 40 years older!!
What I was hopeful for was a Why? or follow up to Ghost Town which I think Vote For Me does well.
I have listened to the live tracks and enjoyed Lynval's version of Redemption Song.
Any news has it turned up yet?

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Marky Dread wrote:
05 Feb 2019, 5:20pm
101Walterton wrote:
Thanks gkbill and Marky.
Nope. I listened to the live tracks on Spotify though. Good stuff.

laxman
Unknown Immortal

Post by laxman »

Marky Dread wrote:
04 Feb 2019, 2:22am
101Walterton wrote:
I don't really agree with the FB3 comparrisons as they were a much more rhythmic sounding group. This feels like a natural follow on from "More Specials" to me. A lot less ska and more pop if you like but everything works really good. After a couple of plays you can hear elements of The Colourfield but with more of a politicized lyrical content. Not a bad song on the whole album for me.

1/2: The first two tracks "Black Skinned Blue Eyed Boys" the old Equals song and "B.L.M" (Black Lives Matter) have a distinct 70's funky feel to them and reminds me of Curtis Mayfield. The later track being Lynval's experience of the cold way some of the Windrush generation were treated that had a huge impact on his life with racism.

3: "Vote for Me" is the single and obviously a state of the nation address regarding fake political promises and lies. This track would've fitted in nicely on "More Specials".

4: Next up is "The Lunatics" a song that I've always loved and I personally prefer the FB3 version. But this is still a nice reworking.

5: "Breaking Point" set to a plodding beat . A lyric about modern life/social media/Riots etc.

6: "Blam Blam Fever" (AKA Guns Fever) A straight up solid cover of The Valentines ska/rock steady classic.

7: "10 Commandments" not a cover of the old Prince Buster song but a song sang from a female perspective of the way women are treated in our society with vocals by Saffiyah Khan. Think of a distant cousin to "The Boiler".

8: "Embarrassed By You" a lyric about youths who see no way out and turn to crime and live up to the media stereo-types wearing hoodies/robbing/knife crime etc. Is this what our grandfathers fought the war for?

9: "The Life And Times (Of A Man Called Depression)" A laid back groove with a piano steal from "Riders on the Storm". Nice sounding horns and a tune that at times uses Dave Brubeck's "Take Five". Terry's song about the perception/treatment of those living with depression. I can identify heavy with this one.

10: "We Sell Hope" ending the album with a positive vibe. A lyric that says all is not lost and just learn to live with each other regardless of race/ideology. The original Specials message.

A very solid album for these times. I hope there will be more to come.

I understand some people will be expecting an upbeat album of ska like the debut. But I'm glad these 60 somethings didn't try to recapture the old glory days and instead have given us a solid album with durability.
Only listened to all of it once, some tracks twice, so just initial impressions but I love "We Sell Hope". "Looked all around the world, could be a beautiful place to live in."

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Marky Dread wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
Thanks gkbill and Marky.
According to Amazon tracker it hasn’t been dispatched yet but is showing a delivery date 13-18 February?

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

101Walterton wrote:
05 Feb 2019, 6:53pm
Marky Dread wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
Thanks gkbill and Marky.
According to Amazon tracker it hasn’t been dispatched yet but is showing a delivery date 13-18 February?
Will you be my valentine special. ;)

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

BR16ADE_R055E
Unknown Immortal

Post by BR16ADE_R055E »

I ordered the limited edition 2-CD version from the official website. Still waiting for it to arrive, but listened to the songs on YouTube in the meantime.

At least a few of the tracks have talking, rather than singing. Not sure I like that.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

BR16ADE_R055E wrote:
06 Feb 2019, 2:11am
I ordered the limited edition 2-CD version from the official website. Still waiting for it to arrive, but listened to the songs on YouTube in the meantime.

At least a few of the tracks have talking, rather than singing. Not sure I like that.
Well two are simply narration.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia