When a new official release for The Clash?

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
aza
Bang Ice Geezer

Re: When a new official release for The Clash?

Post by aza »

ha yes. even Bernie's shed would be more than enough.

YoungParisians
Bang Ice Geezer

Post by YoungParisians »

or "Clash at Joes" and "Clash The Jamming City of..."
Attachments
DpLMO79W4AAAnH7.jpg
Hello? Go ahead, man. Yeah I'd just like to say, um, lets have some music now, huh? Ok, ok...thank you.

BR16ADE_R055E
Unknown Immortal

Post by BR16ADE_R055E »

TeddyB Not Logged In wrote:
29 Jan 2019, 7:21pm
Sony obviously want to do something for the 40th of London Calling. The 30th Anniversary release already had the main guts of a mega release (remastered album, Vanilla Tapes and a making-of DVD, without the now de rigeur fancy book and packaging, with good value for money. Sound System, on the other hand, collected the band's entire oeuvre with very cool packaging and multiple books, for a price that other acts are now charging for a mega deluxe of merely one album.

So what to do? What's the solution?

Mick says he has made some "elegant" suggestions to Sony. We'll see how that goes.
The 25th anniversary Legacy Edition is the 1999 remaster. #DistortedDing

The 40th anniversary edition would be the 2013 remaster. #NotDistortedDing

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

A live series would make the most sense as they have probably at least a dozen gigs recorded. All studio stuff is scraping the barrel st this point.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Toppers Boppers
Long Time Jerk

Post by Toppers Boppers »

'Watch this space for 40th anniversary London Calling news' according to Record Collector last month. 19 pages of Clash...

https://recordcollectormag.com/issue-detail/488

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

matedog wrote:
03 Feb 2019, 10:23am
A live series would make the most sense as they have probably at least a dozen gigs recorded. All studio stuff is scraping the barrel st this point.
I agree. I'll take something along the lines of the Jam's Fire & Skill set. Other than that - Rat Patrol makes the most sense. I think most of us consider that the Holy Grail.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

matedog

Post by matedog »

WestwayKid wrote:
04 Feb 2019, 11:21am
matedog wrote:
I agree. I'll take something along the lines of the Jam's Fire & Skill set. Other than that - Rat Patrol makes the most sense. I think most of us consider that the Holy Grail.
I think Rat Patrol is less likely after offloading the two main outtakes on Sound System. It's a harder sell without as much "previously unreleased" material.

Holy Grail for me would be Lewisham audio (since I'm not convinced there is more footage) and a completed Clash on Broadway film (since I am convinced there is more footage).
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

matedog wrote:
04 Feb 2019, 11:38am
WestwayKid wrote:
04 Feb 2019, 11:21am
matedog wrote:
I think Rat Patrol is less likely after offloading the two main outtakes on Sound System. It's a harder sell without as much "previously unreleased" material.

Holy Grail for me would be Lewisham audio (since I'm not convinced there is more footage) and a completed Clash on Broadway film (since I am convinced there is more footage).
I also really don't see Mick ever giving the okay for Rat Patrol - simply out of respect for Joe not being able to offer his input/approval. I can definitely appreciate that & Marky's version is really good. Clash on Broadway would be fantastic - especially if combined with some Bonds recordings. I think that would make a fantastic set.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

This will never happen - and maybe it shouldn't happen even if it could - but a "daydream release" for me would be if they took the CtC multi tracks - saved Joe's vocals - and then rerecorded the music - maybe using the Lucky 8 demos as a guide - with Paul, Nick, Pete and maybe even Vince if he promises to behave. There are some decent songs - but all of the Bernie-ness would need to be stripped away.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

WestwayKid wrote:
04 Feb 2019, 12:08pm
This will never happen - and maybe it shouldn't happen even if it could - but a "daydream release" for me would be if they took the CtC multi tracks - saved Joe's vocals - and then rerecorded the music - maybe using the Lucky 8 demos as a guide - with Paul, Nick, Pete and maybe even Vince if he promises to behave. There are some decent songs - but all of the Bernie-ness would need to be stripped away.
I've suggested this a few times over the years, as have others. Anyone with an ounce of sense knows there's some good songs on there (I will never subscribe to the "This Is England is the only good song on it" cliche), but yeah, it will never happen.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

matedog

Post by matedog »

Heston wrote:
04 Feb 2019, 12:59pm
WestwayKid wrote:
I've suggested this a few times over the years, as have others. Anyone with an ounce of sense knows there's some good songs on there (I will never subscribe to the "This Is England is the only good song on it" cliche), but yeah, it will never happen.
Plus some songs were better on CTC than live. "Dictator" for example, because it went from really boring to...interesting.

Heston

Post by Heston »

matedog wrote:
04 Feb 2019, 1:26pm
Heston wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
Plus some songs were better on CTC than live. "Dictator" for example, because it went from really boring to...interesting.
Are You Red...y was fantastic live AND studio.

This thing about TIE being the only good song though. How can you like the recorded works of the Clash and not think Three Card Trick is a good song? It's better than most of Combat Rock and a big chunk of S!
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Heston wrote:
04 Feb 2019, 1:36pm
matedog wrote:
Heston wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:

This thing about TIE being the only good song though. How can you like the recorded works of the Clash and not think Three Card Trick is a good song? It's better than most of Combat Rock and a big chunk of S!
YES! I've always thought that was a great track. The "Lucky 8" demos show the potential of the songs & the potential of the quartet of Joe, Paul, Nick & Pete.

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Heston wrote:
matedog wrote:
Heston wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:

For all I disdain CtC and fail to see even its bernie-less potential, I’d certainly never subscribe to the TiE only quality song position. TCT is definitely a decent song, probably akin to Car Jamming for me. I don’t think Are You Redy is that good a song though and certainly wouldn’t have dictator live or studio. Musically and lyrically these are not interesting songs for me, as is WATC. North and South I like and Cool under Heat has some potential, the rest I’d rather forget about. All opinions I guess.

Heston

Post by Heston »

Low Down Low wrote:
04 Feb 2019, 3:07pm
Heston wrote:
matedog wrote:
Heston wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:

For all I disdain CtC and fail to see even its bernie-less potential, I’d certainly never subscribe to the TiE only quality song position. TCT is definitely a decent song, probably akin to Car Jamming for me. I don’t think Are You Redy is that good a song though and certainly wouldn’t have dictator live or studio. Musically and lyrically these are not interesting songs for me, as is WATC. North and South I like and Cool under Heat has some potential, the rest I’d rather forget about. All opinions I guess.
I just always get the impression that the people who say TIE is the only good song on CtC have only ever heard that song.