When a new official release for The Clash?

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Re: When a new official release for The Clash?

Post by Heston »

deny wrote:
04 Feb 2019, 5:21pm
Whatever you think about CTC there are always some interesting and varied opinions on it. Personally I am still coming to terms with the fact that my favourite & IMHO the best band in the world finished with that as it's swansong.

As more information has been revealed about that period I feel terribly sorry for Nick, Pete & Vince who were subjected to relentless bullying and generally treated appallingly. To compound matters further they are (unfairly) associated with a record that is quite simply one of the worst that was ever made by a major artist.

Personally, I would like to see CTC revisited & revised because whatever the outcome it could not be as bad as the original.

deny
I suppose your opinion might depend on which point you got into the band. I got on board in 83/84 so CTC was the first (and only) LP released when I was actually a fan. I would imagine if I'd been into them from the start my perception would be different.

And I do genuinely like a lot of the tunes on it, it actually has more melody on it than Combat Rock to these ears. Yeah, some of the lyrics are poor but some are pretty good. This Is England, North and South and Three Card Trick are all excellent.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Heston wrote:
04 Feb 2019, 6:00pm
deny wrote:
Whatever you think about CTC there are always some interesting and varied opinions on it. Personally I am still coming to terms with the fact that my favourite & IMHO the best band in the world finished with that as it's swansong.

As more information has been revealed about that period I feel terribly sorry for Nick, Pete & Vince who were subjected to relentless bullying and generally treated appallingly. To compound matters further they are (unfairly) associated with a record that is quite simply one of the worst that was ever made by a major artist.

Personally, I would like to see CTC revisited & revised because whatever the outcome it could not be as bad as the original.

deny
I suppose your opinion might depend on which point you got into the band. I got on board in 83/84 so CTC was the first (and only) LP released when I was actually a fan. I would imagine if I'd been into them from the start my perception would be different.

And I do genuinely like a lot of the tunes on it, it actually has more melody on it than Combat Rock to these ears. Yeah, some of the lyrics are poor but some are pretty good. This Is England, North and South and Three Card Trick are all excellent.
I didn't get into the band until 1989/90 when I was 12/13 - so I had the luxury of picking where I dove into their discography. In my case - it was the US version of the first LP and then into CR (because I knew the singles). CtC was already a footnote by that point - so by the time I picked up a copy - it had already been written off and with my first listen I knew it wasn't going to be great.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

deny wrote:

deny
Nah, The Clash finished with Rat Patrol.

TeddyB Not Logged In
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by TeddyB Not Logged In »

BR16ADE_R055E wrote:
03 Feb 2019, 2:12am
TeddyB Not Logged In wrote:
29 Jan 2019, 7:21pm
Sony obviously want to do something for the 40th of London Calling. The 30th Anniversary release already had the main guts of a mega release (remastered album, Vanilla Tapes and a making-of DVD, without the now de rigeur fancy book and packaging, with good value for money. Sound System, on the other hand, collected the band's entire oeuvre with very cool packaging and multiple books, for a price that other acts are now charging for a mega deluxe of merely one album.

So what to do? What's the solution?

Mick says he has made some "elegant" suggestions to Sony. We'll see how that goes.
The 25th anniversary Legacy Edition is the 1999 remaster. #DistortedDing

The 40th anniversary edition would be the 2013 remaster. #NotDistortedDing
True, Gil. BTW, a quite successful UK film producer friend of mine (and Mick’s) has asked by Sony to produce a new making of LC documentary. He said only with Mick’s blessing. Mick laughed when he heard about this, since Sony had already approached the guy. I told Mick he likely wants you to participate, which Mick found less amusing. Anyway, i haven’t spoken to either in the past week, but I would expect the project to go forth. The 40th is coming, whatever form it actually takes.

Or is this thread about CTC now? Two and a half good songs, I’d think, ruined by the “production”.

Red Angel
Junco Partner

Post by Red Angel »

05 Feb 2019, 4:46am
BR16ADE_R055E wrote:
Sony obviously want to do something for the 40th of London Calling. The 30th Anniversary release already had the main guts of a mega release (remastered album, Vanilla Tapes and a making-of DVD, without the now de rigeur fancy book and packaging, with good value for money. Sound System, on the other hand, collected the band's entire oeuvre with very cool packaging and multiple books, for a price that other acts are now charging for a mega deluxe of merely one album.

Mick says he has made some "elegant" suggestions to Sony. We'll see how that goes.

True, Gil. BTW, a quite successful UK film producer friend of mine (and Mick’s) has asked by Sony to produce a new making of LC documentary. He said only with Mick’s blessing. Mick laughed when he heard about this, since Sony had already approached the guy. I told Mick he likely wants you to participate, which Mick found less amusing. Anyway, i haven’t spoken to either in the past week, but I would expect the project to go forth. The 40th is coming, whatever form it actually takes.

Or is this thread about CTC now? Two and a half good songs, I’d think, ruined by the “production”.
A project with the inclusion of the "Kampuchea Concert" (27 DEC 79) would be perfect. A reconstruction of CtC would be a work of justice.
Music is the only thing that matters

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Red Angel wrote:
05 Feb 2019, 8:41am
BR16ADE_R055E wrote:

A project with the inclusion of the "Kampuchea Concert" (27 DEC 79) would be perfect. A reconstruction of CtC would be a work of justice.
...but one would have to first pry the tapes from Bernie's cold dead hands...
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

On the live series idea, what are the shows we know for sure are in the vaults? Off the top of my head:
1979-01-03 Lyceum
1979-12-27 Kampuchea
1980-02-18 Lewisham
1981-05-10 Amsterdam
1981-06-08 Bonds
1981-06-09 Bonds
1982-09-07 Boston
1982-09-08 Boston
1985- spring shows included on GEED

I haven’t listed radio broadcasts since I don’t know for sure if Sony would have those tapes. I did list the Amsterdam show since Teddy mentioned Sony considered releasing it for S! 30th anniversary.

Side note- looks like a decent overhaul at BMC. Lots of new info.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Heston

Post by Heston »

matedog wrote:
05 Feb 2019, 10:11am
On the live series idea, what are the shows we know for sure are in the vaults? Off the top of my head:
1979-01-03 Lyceum
1979-12-27 Kampuchea
1980-02-18 Lewisham
1981-05-10 Amsterdam
1981-06-08 Bonds
1981-06-09 Bonds
1982-09-07 Boston
1982-09-08 Boston
1985- spring shows included on GEED

I haven’t listed radio broadcasts since I don’t know for sure if Sony would have those tapes. I did list the Amsterdam show since Teddy mentioned Sony considered releasing it for S! 30th anniversary.

Side note- looks like a decent overhaul at BMC. Lots of new info.
Lewisham is the no brainer for the 40th anniversary, LC tour, mostly only heard as a rough audience tape.

On a side note, I was speaking on FB to a guy who was a camera man for the Lewisham show and he reckons only the 2 songs and bits of Bankrobber were filmed. Disappointing
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:
05 Feb 2019, 10:28am
On a side note, I was speaking on FB to a guy who was a camera man for the Lewisham show and he reckons only the 2 songs and bits of Bankrobber were filmed. Disappointing
This really doesn't surprise as one would think that if more existed it would have emerged by now. I just don't think there are that many sheds out there containing grails.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

matedog

Post by matedog »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
05 Feb 2019, 11:14am
Heston wrote:
This really doesn't surprise as one would think that if more existed it would have emerged by now. I just don't think there are that many sheds out there containing grails.
It doesn't really surprise me either. Bruce is the only other artist I know as well and was active around the same time. He didn't have anything fully professionally filmed until 1984 except for one show in 1975. His River tour has 2/3 of a show filmed in video (the Tempe show he released in 2015). Random songs in the middle of the set weren't filmed...for some reason. Darkness had one show where they filmed a handful of songs and b-roll. Sounds like a similar approach was taken for Lewisham. Film costs money and I don't know if cameramen get paid differently for filming part or all of a show if they have to be there for a whole concert.

Hes, can you link me the discussion? The COP fb group is quite active and hard to sift through.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Heston

Post by Heston »

matedog wrote:
05 Feb 2019, 11:26am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:
It doesn't really surprise me either. Bruce is the only other artist I know as well and was active around the same time. He didn't have anything fully professionally filmed until 1984 except for one show in 1975. His River tour has 2/3 of a show filmed in video (the Tempe show he released in 2015). Random songs in the middle of the set weren't filmed...for some reason. Darkness had one show where they filmed a handful of songs and b-roll. Sounds like a similar approach was taken for Lewisham. Film costs money and I don't know if cameramen get paid differently for filming part or all of a show if they have to be there for a whole concert.

Hes, can you link me the discussion? The COP fb group is quite active and hard to sift through.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1341684 ... ment_reply

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

I'm up for a new documentary, especially if Mick is involved. The dream would be a nice, new doc and some official live audio and video releases, I suppose.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

matedog

Post by matedog »

Flex wrote:
05 Feb 2019, 12:55pm
I'm up for a new documentary, especially if Mick is involved. The dream would be a nice, new doc and some official live audio and video releases, I suppose.
I guess having read the ridiculously comprehensive Route 19, I have no interest in a LC doc. Particularly since we had that shitty makeshift one for 25. I guess there could be appeal from more mainstream audiences.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

matedog wrote:
05 Feb 2019, 1:13pm
I guess having read the ridiculously comprehensive Route 19, I have no interest in a LC doc. Particularly since we had that shitty makeshift one for 25. I guess there could be appeal from more mainstream audiences.
Reading is for nerds, Andrew.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

matedog wrote:
05 Feb 2019, 11:26am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:

Still, there's at least 4 decently filmed shows out there (Munich and Paris for TV, New Jersey and Tokyo for fun, if I'm recalling correctly) that could perhaps be cleaned up and released in an official capacity. And obviously the Bonds footage is out there somewhere waiting to be baked. I don't understand wanting to leave money on the table like that. A full live footage box set or something would sell like crazy, I'd think.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc