NFL 2018

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
101Walterton
The Best

Re: NFL 2018

Post by 101Walterton »

But apart from all that and the ugly Sea Hawks uniform what is wrong with the NFL?

BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Post by BostonBeaneater »

WestwayKid wrote:
05 Feb 2019, 4:45pm
101Walterton wrote:
05 Feb 2019, 4:35pm
WestwayKid wrote:
05 Feb 2019, 8:51am
Flex wrote:
04 Feb 2019, 12:43pm
Inder wrote:
04 Feb 2019, 12:35pm
Just as a side note, john elway and peyton manning both actively fund and stump for awful, conservative organizations here in colorado and actively work to harm progressive movements locally. Drives me insane that our local dems have like "Broncos watch parties" and shit. Watching the nfl and progressivism are fundamentally incompatible strands, ultimately.
I really didn't watch the NFL this year - 1) the Packers were awful and 2) I'm just at odds with the NFL as an organization. We did plan on watching the SB as we thought it would be something fun to do with the kids - but ultimately decided not to watch it. When the decision was made we sat them down and told them why we were not going to watch and the list was actually extensive: poor track record on racial issues such as not standing with their players when they decided on a peaceful protest or allowing teams to blatantly violate the Rooney Rule; looking the other way in regards to domestic violence; actively working to obscure and undermine CTE research and not taking care of older players who are now very brain damaged; too often aligning themselves with conservative interests; being money grubbing monsters and on an on. It was important to me that they knew why we were not going to watch - even if they were a bit too young to understand all of the nuances.
Apart from that what is wrong with the NFL?
The Seattle Seahawks have really ugly uniforms! :mrgreen:
I hate football fans more than anything. I hate the mundane conversations people try to start with me during the season. "That Hinklebach on the Raiders is a MONSTER." "The D-line on the Titans is fucking solid, huh?" Even worse is when they talk about their fantasy team. What a goddam bore that shit is. It's pretty nice weather in Boston through November and I'll be damned if I'm going to piss away a Sunday afternoon watching this garbage. Go Pats.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

101Walterton wrote:
05 Feb 2019, 4:52pm
But apart from all that and the ugly Sea Hawks uniform what is wrong with the NFL?
A rulebook that can only be applied by quantum physicists.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Post by BostonBeaneater »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
05 Feb 2019, 4:59pm
101Walterton wrote:
05 Feb 2019, 4:52pm
A rulebook that can only be applied by quantum physicists.
Meat heads.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
05 Feb 2019, 5:01pm
Meat heads.
Sports, music, anything—fans are always the worst part.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
05 Feb 2019, 5:10pm
BostonBeaneater wrote:
Meat heads.
Yes but no fans no music or sports.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

101Walterton wrote:
05 Feb 2019, 6:56pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
05 Feb 2019, 5:10pm
BostonBeaneater wrote:
Meat heads.
Yes but no fans no music or sports.
There's the horrible equation.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
05 Feb 2019, 4:58pm
WestwayKid wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
Flex wrote:

Just as a side note, john elway and peyton manning both actively fund and stump for awful, conservative organizations here in colorado and actively work to harm progressive movements locally. Drives me insane that our local dems have like "Broncos watch parties" and shit. Watching the nfl and progressivism are fundamentally incompatible strands, ultimately.
I really didn't watch the NFL this year - 1) the Packers were awful and 2) I'm just at odds with the NFL as an organization. We did plan on watching the SB as we thought it would be something fun to do with the kids - but ultimately decided not to watch it. When the decision was made we sat them down and told them why we were not going to watch and the list was actually extensive: poor track record on racial issues such as not standing with their players when they decided on a peaceful protest or allowing teams to blatantly violate the Rooney Rule; looking the other way in regards to domestic violence; actively working to obscure and undermine CTE research and not taking care of older players who are now very brain damaged; too often aligning themselves with conservative interests; being money grubbing monsters and on an on. It was important to me that they knew why we were not going to watch - even if they were a bit too young to understand all of the nuances.
I hate football fans more than anything. I hate the mundane conversations people try to start with me during the season. "That Hinklebach on the Raiders is a MONSTER." "The D-line on the Titans is fucking solid, huh?" Even worse is when they talk about their fantasy team. What a goddam bore that shit is. It's pretty nice weather in Boston through November and I'll be damned if I'm going to piss away a Sunday afternoon watching this garbage. Go Pats.
Ha! Definitely! The worst place to watch a football game is a sports bar - because you're just surrounded by meatheads rambling on and on. It's really bad in Wisconsin - because everyone is the world's biggest Packer fan and everyone is the world's highest authority on the game. When they start rambling about fantasy football - no way. I'm outta there.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
Flex wrote:

Is that any different than other sports talk?
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

matedog wrote:
06 Feb 2019, 12:00pm
BostonBeaneater wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:

Shut up, Meg. :curses1:

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

matedog wrote:
BostonBeaneater wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:

I'd say yes it is. I'd much rather hang out with baseball fans, for instance. Far less obnoxious and usually far more knowledgeable. You don't get the macho chest thumping garbage. You get guys and gals who legit love baseball and know the game. If someone brings up the pitching staff in Milwaukee or St. Louis or wherever - chances are they know at least something of what they're talking about. I find them to be more specific and less "That Hinkleback on the Raiders is a MONSTER" vague. The NFL just lends itself to brainless meathead behavior. It's like watching the game with a bunch of clones of Bluto from Animal House.

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

WestwayKid wrote:
06 Feb 2019, 12:19pm
matedog wrote:
BostonBeaneater wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
101Walterton wrote:

I'd say yes it is. I'd much rather hang out with baseball fans, for instance. Far less obnoxious and usually far more knowledgeable. You don't get the macho chest thumping garbage. You get guys and gals who legit love baseball and know the game. If someone brings up the pitching staff in Milwaukee or St. Louis or wherever - chances are they know at least something of what they're talking about. I find them to be more specific and less "That Hinkleback on the Raiders is a MONSTER" vague. The NFL just lends itself to brainless meathead behavior. It's like watching the game with a bunch of clones of Bluto from Animal House.
Ugh, fucking baseball purists? Very obnoxious in a very different way.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

matedog wrote:
06 Feb 2019, 1:04pm
WestwayKid wrote:
06 Feb 2019, 12:19pm
matedog wrote:
BostonBeaneater wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:

Ugh, fucking baseball purists? Very obnoxious in a very different way.
True - but I can tolerate them much better! :mrgreen:

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

The most obnoxious baseball fan is still better than the median nfl fan.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
06 Feb 2019, 2:12pm
The most obnoxious baseball fan is still better than the median nfl fan.
Yeah, Wolter's more tolerable than the average football fan.