The Clash observations thread.

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Re: The Clash observations thread.

Post by matedog »

Marky Dread wrote:
08 Feb 2019, 7:11pm
WestwayKid wrote:
08 Feb 2019, 6:52pm
Marky Dread wrote:
08 Feb 2019, 6:31pm
Low Down Low wrote:
08 Feb 2019, 6:27pm
WestwayKid wrote:
08 Feb 2019, 6:00pm

I think you're right. It sure looks like him.
Yeah it’s him alright....I’m 90% convinced now and that’s close to how certain i can be about anything these mental days and that includes night and day!

Must say i have a real soft spot for bankrobber, particularly the epic the meskies made out of it, but not least because of the fun the band seem to be having in that video. They still seem so together, a group, happy in their skin and making great songs. And....within a year pretty much turned to shit or at least heading that way. Ah, well...
I love Bankrobber it's a fantastic track. I've always been stunned that the record label wouldn't release it the UK and it had to chart on import initially.
It's a fantastic track. I've always loved Joe's vocal on that one. I was just looking at the Wikipedia page (for what it's worth) for the track and the musical credits are interesting. Mick's sole contribution is listed as sound effects. Joe's credited for guitars (and piano).
Mick plays bottleneck guitar on that one.
I know he played slide on that early ska live version, but the actual studio cut? Hes, you got any input on this as you are the most technically adept at guit?
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

matedog wrote:
08 Feb 2019, 7:24pm
Marky Dread wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
08 Feb 2019, 6:27pm

Yeah it’s him alright....I’m 90% convinced now and that’s close to how certain i can be about anything these mental days and that includes night and day!

Must say i have a real soft spot for bankrobber, particularly the epic the meskies made out of it, but not least because of the fun the band seem to be having in that video. They still seem so together, a group, happy in their skin and making great songs. And....within a year pretty much turned to shit or at least heading that way. Ah, well...
I love Bankrobber it's a fantastic track. I've always been stunned that the record label wouldn't release it the UK and it had to chart on import initially.
It's a fantastic track. I've always loved Joe's vocal on that one. I was just looking at the Wikipedia page (for what it's worth) for the track and the musical credits are interesting. Mick's sole contribution is listed as sound effects. Joe's credited for guitars (and piano).
I know he played slide on that early ska live version, but the actual studio cut? Hes, you got any input on this as you are the most technically adept at guit?
That the Kampuchea one? Really love that uptempo version. I don’t hear Mick on the studio track personally but I have cloth ears for lugs both sides!

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

That picture cover is John McVicar a British journalist and convicted one-time armed robber who escaped from prison in the 1960s.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Marky Dread wrote:
08 Feb 2019, 7:58pm
That picture cover is John McVicar a British journalist and convicted one-time armed robber who escaped from prison in the 1960s.
Really? I never knew that.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

101Walterton wrote:
08 Feb 2019, 8:05pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Yep the one and the same who scripted his own film where Roger Daltrey played the lead role.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Marky Dread wrote:
08 Feb 2019, 8:07pm
101Walterton wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Yep the one and the same who scripted his own film where Roger Daltrey played the lead role.
Yep I know him (not personally) he became a criminologist.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

101Walterton wrote:
08 Feb 2019, 8:12pm
Marky Dread wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
He wrote two books on the murder of Jill Dando.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Low Down Low wrote:
08 Feb 2019, 7:54pm
matedog wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

That the Kampuchea one? Really love that uptempo version. I don’t hear Mick on the studio track personally but I have cloth ears for lugs both sides!
I don't hear it either. It's supposedly understated and is hidden under the heavy reverb sound on the piano.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Marky Dread wrote:
08 Feb 2019, 8:14pm
101Walterton wrote:
08 Feb 2019, 8:12pm
Marky Dread wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
He wrote two books on the murder of Jill Dando.
I met his son once. He fell out of a tree hiding from Police and broke both legs then escaped from Police custody whilst in St Mary’s Hospital In Paddington with 2 broken legs. True story.

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Marky Dread wrote:
08 Feb 2019, 8:16pm
Low Down Low wrote:
matedog wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:

I don't hear it either. It's supposedly understated and is hidden under the heavy reverb sound on the piano.
I just checked Marcus Gray and he confirms mick did play the slide on the early version, called “the bankrobbing song”, but at mikey dreads initiation it was heavily dubbed to become the single version. Good job mikey you’d have to say. Would pay steeply to hear that early version though!

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Low Down Low wrote:
08 Feb 2019, 8:27pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
matedog wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

I just checked Marcus Gray and he confirms mick did play the slide on the early version, called “the bankrobbing song”, but at mikey dreads initiation it was heavily dubbed to become the single version. Good job mikey you’d have to say. Would pay steeply to hear that early version though!
Same here. I wonder if it still exists.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Low Down Low wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
matedog wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

Wasn’t it originally a Ska track? I am sure the first live performances are very different to how the song ended up.

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Marky Dread wrote:
08 Feb 2019, 8:29pm
Low Down Low wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
matedog wrote:

Yes absolutely it does and what’s more, it’s going to be lumped in with the package of S! demoes being released for the 40th anniversary next year!

Well, you can always dream right ;)

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Low Down Low wrote:
08 Feb 2019, 9:14pm
Marky Dread wrote:
08 Feb 2019, 8:29pm
Low Down Low wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:

Yes absolutely it does and what’s more, it’s going to be lumped in with the package of S! demoes being released for the 40th anniversary next year!

Well, you can always dream right ;)
Too right matey. :approve:

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

101Walterton wrote:
08 Feb 2019, 8:30pm
Low Down Low wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
matedog wrote:

Wasn’t it originally a Ska track? I am sure the first live performances are very different to how the song ended up.
Ska (ish). The one Heston mentions as the Kampuchea (I was there!!!) version is more rocked up.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia