Whatcha reading?

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Re: Whatcha reading?

Post by Wolter »

Fagles’ translation of the Aeneid, because I’m tutoring a kid who has to read it.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Mimi
Goddess of the Underworld

Post by Mimi »

A poetry collection by Edna St Vincent Millay. I have a hard time finding poets I like. :disshame:

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
10 Feb 2019, 11:01am
Silent Majority wrote:
07 Feb 2019, 3:50pm
As a part of my ongoing completist sickness, I've already ordered similar books about John Major and Gordon Brown.
You pursue voluntarily that most grad students would endure while sulking. That might be a compliment, but I'm not sure.

Lightweights.
Tub book, starting today:

I've had this forever. Can't even recall how I acquired it. I gather it's similar in theme as Greil Marcus' Lipstick Traces—high culture, popular culture, youth culture, and rebellion all in a stew pot—but presumably without Marcus' irritating hyperbole.
Anyone fortunate enough to hear Automatic Lover by the Vibrators for the first time would have been instantly enraptured with the knowledge they were experiencing a historic moment as important as the agricultural revolution. Each second of the record had been perfectly calibrated to make any listener weep with the power and glory of what humans are capable of achieving.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Silent Majority wrote:
10 Feb 2019, 12:46pm
Anyone fortunate enough to hear Automatic Lover by the Vibrators for the first time would have been instantly enraptured with the knowledge they were experiencing a historic moment as important as the agricultural revolution. Each second of the record had been perfectly calibrated to make any listener weep with the power and glory of what humans are capable of achieving.
this is basically right tho, yeah?
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Flex wrote:
10 Feb 2019, 12:48pm
Silent Majority wrote:
You could argue.

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

Silent Majority wrote:
10 Feb 2019, 12:50pm
Flex wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:
You could argue.
I’m the contrarian who says this about “Amphetamine Blue.”
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Wolter wrote:
10 Feb 2019, 12:54pm
Silent Majority wrote:
Flex wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:
You could argue.
I'd actually say it about Anal Cunt's cover of"Old Time Hardcore" but, you know, it's all in the ballpark.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

Flex wrote:
10 Feb 2019, 12:55pm
Wolter wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:
Flex wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:
You could argue.
I'd actually say it about Anal Cunt's cover of"Old Time Hardcore" but, you know, it's all in the ballpark.
Really, there’s a whole rich tapestry.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Wolter wrote:
10 Feb 2019, 12:56pm
Flex wrote:
Wolter wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:
Flex wrote:

You could argue.
I can't tell whether or not you guys are validating Greil Marcus! :angry:
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
10 Feb 2019, 1:52pm
Wolter wrote:
Flex wrote:
Wolter wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:

You could argue.
I’m so many alternating layers of irony and sincerity that I can’t even tell either.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Wolter wrote:
10 Feb 2019, 2:28pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Wolter wrote:
Flex wrote:
Wolter wrote:

I’m so many alternating layers of irony and sincerity that I can’t even tell either.
Postmodernity's terminal stage is as exhilarating as it is bewildering.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
10 Feb 2019, 3:24pm
Wolter wrote:
10 Feb 2019, 2:28pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Wolter wrote:
Flex wrote:

Postmodernity's terminal stage is as exhilarating as it is bewildering.
I think I’m crossing into metamodern.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Just read Roger Daltrey and Kenney Jones' autobiographies that I got for Xmas. Both well written but what a pair of boring bastards. It was interesting to get the different points of view on Kenney's sacking from the Who (Roger's doing).
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Silent Majority wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
10 Feb 2019, 11:01am
Silent Majority wrote:
07 Feb 2019, 3:50pm
As a part of my ongoing completist sickness, I've already ordered similar books about John Major and Gordon Brown.
You pursue voluntarily that most grad students would endure while sulking. That might be a compliment, but I'm not sure.

Lightweights.
Tub book, starting today:

I've had this forever. Can't even recall how I acquired it. I gather it's similar in theme as Greil Marcus' Lipstick Traces—high culture, popular culture, youth culture, and rebellion all in a stew pot—but presumably without Marcus' irritating hyperbole.
In my opinion the best books written about punk (UK) are the ones written by fans. You get an individual story written with a much more honest account and not someone that just babbles on and on about the sociopolitical and revolutionary aspects.

So many famous writers aproach the subject from this angle Savage/Heylin/Marcus et all and forget to mention how it was simply fun music and a time for young people to express themselves just like all great rock 'n' roll movements do. Every little town here in the UK had it's own punk band from the ones that got no further than playing the local church hall to the ones who made it to the Lyceum and beyond. All this rubbish about how punk changed the world gets on my nerves the changes that punk really made were only seen 10-15 years after the event when people brought up on that music and attitude were then those in a postion of power and had joined the establishment.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

6) The Art of War - Sun Tzu. Audiobook. Audible are using an extract from this in their TV adverts and it re-piqued my curiosity enough to illegally download it. Second read for this, a manual for business men who pride themselves on being bastards.

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/