Whatcha reading?

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Wolter
User avatar
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Woody Allen
Posts: 51683
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 7:59pm
Location: ¡HOLIDAY RO-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-OAD!
Contact:

Re: Whatcha reading?

Post by Wolter » 10 Feb 2019, 11:27am

Fagles’ translation of the Aeneid, because I’m tutoring a kid who has to read it.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Mimi
User avatar
Goddess of the Underworld
Posts: 5523
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:36pm
Location: Down in the pit

Re: Whatcha reading?

Post by Mimi » 10 Feb 2019, 12:21pm

A poetry collection by Edna St Vincent Millay. I have a hard time finding poets I like. :disshame:

Silent Majority
User avatar
Singer-Songwriter Nancy
Posts: 14548
Joined: 10 Nov 2008, 8:28pm
Location: A republic of mind
Contact:

Re: Whatcha reading?

Post by Silent Majority » 10 Feb 2019, 12:46pm

Dr. Medulla wrote:
10 Feb 2019, 11:01am
Silent Majority wrote:
07 Feb 2019, 3:50pm
As a part of my ongoing completist sickness, I've already ordered similar books about John Major and Gordon Brown.
You pursue voluntarily that most grad students would endure while sulking. That might be a compliment, but I'm not sure.

Lightweights.
Tub book, starting today:
Image

I've had this forever. Can't even recall how I acquired it. I gather it's similar in theme as Greil Marcus' Lipstick Traces—high culture, popular culture, youth culture, and rebellion all in a stew pot—but presumably without Marcus' irritating hyperbole.
Anyone fortunate enough to hear Automatic Lover by the Vibrators for the first time would have been instantly enraptured with the knowledge they were experiencing a historic moment as important as the agricultural revolution. Each second of the record had been perfectly calibrated to make any listener weep with the power and glory of what humans are capable of achieving.
Kool Moe Dee was in the Treacherous Three

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Flex
User avatar
Mechano-Man of the Future
Posts: 27423
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:50pm
Location: The Information Superhighway!
Contact:

Re: Whatcha reading?

Post by Flex » 10 Feb 2019, 12:48pm

Silent Majority wrote:
10 Feb 2019, 12:46pm
Anyone fortunate enough to hear Automatic Lover by the Vibrators for the first time would have been instantly enraptured with the knowledge they were experiencing a historic moment as important as the agricultural revolution. Each second of the record had been perfectly calibrated to make any listener weep with the power and glory of what humans are capable of achieving.
this is basically right tho, yeah?
YOU MADE ONE MISTAKE, LENNON, YOU DOUBLE CROSSED MIKE LOVE AND LEFT HIM ALIVE

Sous les pavés, la plage.

Pex Lives!

Silent Majority
User avatar
Singer-Songwriter Nancy
Posts: 14548
Joined: 10 Nov 2008, 8:28pm
Location: A republic of mind
Contact:

Re: Whatcha reading?

Post by Silent Majority » 10 Feb 2019, 12:50pm

Flex wrote:
10 Feb 2019, 12:48pm
Silent Majority wrote:
10 Feb 2019, 12:46pm
Anyone fortunate enough to hear Automatic Lover by the Vibrators for the first time would have been instantly enraptured with the knowledge they were experiencing a historic moment as important as the agricultural revolution. Each second of the record had been perfectly calibrated to make any listener weep with the power and glory of what humans are capable of achieving.
this is basically right tho, yeah?
You could argue.
Kool Moe Dee was in the Treacherous Three

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Wolter
User avatar
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Woody Allen
Posts: 51683
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 7:59pm
Location: ¡HOLIDAY RO-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-OAD!
Contact:

Re: Whatcha reading?

Post by Wolter » 10 Feb 2019, 12:54pm

Silent Majority wrote:
10 Feb 2019, 12:50pm
Flex wrote:
10 Feb 2019, 12:48pm
Silent Majority wrote:
10 Feb 2019, 12:46pm
Anyone fortunate enough to hear Automatic Lover by the Vibrators for the first time would have been instantly enraptured with the knowledge they were experiencing a historic moment as important as the agricultural revolution. Each second of the record had been perfectly calibrated to make any listener weep with the power and glory of what humans are capable of achieving.
this is basically right tho, yeah?
You could argue.
I’m the contrarian who says this about “Amphetamine Blue.”
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Flex
User avatar
Mechano-Man of the Future
Posts: 27423
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:50pm
Location: The Information Superhighway!
Contact:

Re: Whatcha reading?

Post by Flex » 10 Feb 2019, 12:55pm

Wolter wrote:
10 Feb 2019, 12:54pm
Silent Majority wrote:
10 Feb 2019, 12:50pm
Flex wrote:
10 Feb 2019, 12:48pm
Silent Majority wrote:
10 Feb 2019, 12:46pm
Anyone fortunate enough to hear Automatic Lover by the Vibrators for the first time would have been instantly enraptured with the knowledge they were experiencing a historic moment as important as the agricultural revolution. Each second of the record had been perfectly calibrated to make any listener weep with the power and glory of what humans are capable of achieving.
this is basically right tho, yeah?
You could argue.
I’m the contrarian who says this about “Amphetamine Blue.”
I'd actually say it about Anal Cunt's cover of"Old Time Hardcore" but, you know, it's all in the ballpark.
YOU MADE ONE MISTAKE, LENNON, YOU DOUBLE CROSSED MIKE LOVE AND LEFT HIM ALIVE

Sous les pavés, la plage.

Pex Lives!

Wolter
User avatar
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Woody Allen
Posts: 51683
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 7:59pm
Location: ¡HOLIDAY RO-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-OAD!
Contact:

Re: Whatcha reading?

Post by Wolter » 10 Feb 2019, 12:56pm

Flex wrote:
10 Feb 2019, 12:55pm
Wolter wrote:
10 Feb 2019, 12:54pm
Silent Majority wrote:
10 Feb 2019, 12:50pm
Flex wrote:
10 Feb 2019, 12:48pm
Silent Majority wrote:
10 Feb 2019, 12:46pm
Anyone fortunate enough to hear Automatic Lover by the Vibrators for the first time would have been instantly enraptured with the knowledge they were experiencing a historic moment as important as the agricultural revolution. Each second of the record had been perfectly calibrated to make any listener weep with the power and glory of what humans are capable of achieving.
this is basically right tho, yeah?
You could argue.
I’m the contrarian who says this about “Amphetamine Blue.”
I'd actually say it about Anal Cunt's cover of"Old Time Hardcore" but, you know, it's all in the ballpark.
Really, there’s a whole rich tapestry.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 80599
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia
Contact:

Re: Whatcha reading?

Post by Dr. Medulla » 10 Feb 2019, 1:52pm

Wolter wrote:
10 Feb 2019, 12:56pm
Flex wrote:
10 Feb 2019, 12:55pm
Wolter wrote:
10 Feb 2019, 12:54pm
Silent Majority wrote:
10 Feb 2019, 12:50pm
Flex wrote:
10 Feb 2019, 12:48pm


this is basically right tho, yeah?
You could argue.
I’m the contrarian who says this about “Amphetamine Blue.”
I'd actually say it about Anal Cunt's cover of"Old Time Hardcore" but, you know, it's all in the ballpark.
Really, there’s a whole rich tapestry.
I can't tell whether or not you guys are validating Greil Marcus! :angry:
I'm an expert in gold mining lore!

Wolter
User avatar
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Woody Allen
Posts: 51683
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 7:59pm
Location: ¡HOLIDAY RO-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-OAD!
Contact:

Re: Whatcha reading?

Post by Wolter » 10 Feb 2019, 2:28pm

Dr. Medulla wrote:
10 Feb 2019, 1:52pm
Wolter wrote:
10 Feb 2019, 12:56pm
Flex wrote:
10 Feb 2019, 12:55pm
Wolter wrote:
10 Feb 2019, 12:54pm
Silent Majority wrote:
10 Feb 2019, 12:50pm


You could argue.
I’m the contrarian who says this about “Amphetamine Blue.”
I'd actually say it about Anal Cunt's cover of"Old Time Hardcore" but, you know, it's all in the ballpark.
Really, there’s a whole rich tapestry.
I can't tell whether or not you guys are validating Greil Marcus! :angry:
I’m so many alternating layers of irony and sincerity that I can’t even tell either.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 80599
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia
Contact:

Re: Whatcha reading?

Post by Dr. Medulla » 10 Feb 2019, 3:24pm

Wolter wrote:
10 Feb 2019, 2:28pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
10 Feb 2019, 1:52pm
Wolter wrote:
10 Feb 2019, 12:56pm
Flex wrote:
10 Feb 2019, 12:55pm
Wolter wrote:
10 Feb 2019, 12:54pm

I’m the contrarian who says this about “Amphetamine Blue.”
I'd actually say it about Anal Cunt's cover of"Old Time Hardcore" but, you know, it's all in the ballpark.
Really, there’s a whole rich tapestry.
I can't tell whether or not you guys are validating Greil Marcus! :angry:
I’m so many alternating layers of irony and sincerity that I can’t even tell either.
Postmodernity's terminal stage is as exhilarating as it is bewildering.
I'm an expert in gold mining lore!

Wolter
User avatar
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Woody Allen
Posts: 51683
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 7:59pm
Location: ¡HOLIDAY RO-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-OAD!
Contact:

Re: Whatcha reading?

Post by Wolter » 10 Feb 2019, 3:54pm

Dr. Medulla wrote:
10 Feb 2019, 3:24pm
Wolter wrote:
10 Feb 2019, 2:28pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
10 Feb 2019, 1:52pm
Wolter wrote:
10 Feb 2019, 12:56pm
Flex wrote:
10 Feb 2019, 12:55pm


I'd actually say it about Anal Cunt's cover of"Old Time Hardcore" but, you know, it's all in the ballpark.
Really, there’s a whole rich tapestry.
I can't tell whether or not you guys are validating Greil Marcus! :angry:
I’m so many alternating layers of irony and sincerity that I can’t even tell either.
Postmodernity's terminal stage is as exhilarating as it is bewildering.
I think I’m crossing into metamodern.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Heston
User avatar
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll
Posts: 29597
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 4:07pm
Location: North of Watford Junction
Contact:

Re: Whatcha reading?

Post by Heston » 10 Feb 2019, 6:58pm

Just read Roger Daltrey and Kenney Jones' autobiographies that I got for Xmas. Both well written but what a pair of boring bastards. It was interesting to get the different points of view on Kenney's sacking from the Who (Roger's doing).
I just polished off some Low Country shrimp & grits and a mess of collards. That's a hell of a strain on the arm.

Marky Dread
User avatar
Messiah of the Milk Bar
Posts: 41019
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 11:26am

Re: Whatcha reading?

Post by Marky Dread » 10 Feb 2019, 7:33pm

Silent Majority wrote:
10 Feb 2019, 12:46pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
10 Feb 2019, 11:01am
Silent Majority wrote:
07 Feb 2019, 3:50pm
As a part of my ongoing completist sickness, I've already ordered similar books about John Major and Gordon Brown.
You pursue voluntarily that most grad students would endure while sulking. That might be a compliment, but I'm not sure.

Lightweights.
Tub book, starting today:
Image

I've had this forever. Can't even recall how I acquired it. I gather it's similar in theme as Greil Marcus' Lipstick Traces—high culture, popular culture, youth culture, and rebellion all in a stew pot—but presumably without Marcus' irritating hyperbole.
Anyone fortunate enough to hear Automatic Lover by the Vibrators for the first time would have been instantly enraptured with the knowledge they were experiencing a historic moment as important as the agricultural revolution. Each second of the record had been perfectly calibrated to make any listener weep with the power and glory of what humans are capable of achieving.
In my opinion the best books written about punk (UK) are the ones written by fans. You get an individual story written with a much more honest account and not someone that just babbles on and on about the sociopolitical and revolutionary aspects.

So many famous writers aproach the subject from this angle Savage/Heylin/Marcus et all and forget to mention how it was simply fun music and a time for young people to express themselves just like all great rock 'n' roll movements do. Every little town here in the UK had it's own punk band from the ones that got no further than playing the local church hall to the ones who made it to the Lyceum and beyond. All this rubbish about how punk changed the world gets on my nerves the changes that punk really made were only seen 10-15 years after the event when people brought up on that music and attitude were then those in a postion of power and had joined the establishment.
Image

Silent Majority
User avatar
Singer-Songwriter Nancy
Posts: 14548
Joined: 10 Nov 2008, 8:28pm
Location: A republic of mind
Contact:

Re: Whatcha reading?

Post by Silent Majority » 10 Feb 2019, 7:41pm

6) The Art of War - Sun Tzu. Audiobook. Audible are using an extract from this in their TV adverts and it re-piqued my curiosity enough to illegally download it. Second read for this, a manual for business men who pride themselves on being bastards.
Kool Moe Dee was in the Treacherous Three

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests