The Specials

General music discussion.
101Walterton
The Best

Re: The Specials

Post by 101Walterton »

Changed to dispatched and saying delivery tomorrow??? Believe it when I see it though.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

101Walterton wrote:
12 Feb 2019, 5:20am
Changed to dispatched and saying delivery tomorrow??? Believe it when I see it though.
They have just released their follow up to Encore. You should get it just before the next ice age. ;)

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Kory wrote:
11 Feb 2019, 3:55pm
Low Down Low wrote:
09 Feb 2019, 6:36am
101Walterton wrote:
08 Feb 2019, 9:38pm
Low Down Low wrote:
08 Feb 2019, 9:20pm
101Walterton wrote:
08 Feb 2019, 8:15pm

Yep they were living at Rehearsal. The equipment (including Roddy and Lynvsl’s guitars) was seized from a hotel in Paris where the Damned had previously stayed and caused lots of damage. Nothing to do with The Specials. The club owners in Paris got the gear back at gun point.
Isn’t that the time bernie sent them off to france without a penny in their pockets and they spent the whole time bitching about him. What I like about it is bernie definitely acted like a prick but I think looking back, the specials might agree that the trip did really bring them together as a band so maybe their was a bit of method to his madness. Being charitable to him in fairness.
Yep. Nearly broke them but yes you are right probably brought them closer together as a band. Bernie also credited with getting them to dress like a gang. Whether or not he can take the credit for the Rude Boy look ( which I doubt) he did advise them to get a look.
Whatever he did or didn’t do for them, i reckon the specials operated the correct bernie template, as did dexys too: get whatever early benefits they could out of his madcap plans and schemes, then fire the prick and, most crucial of all, STAY FIRED! The Clash fucked up on that last detail.
I dunno, both those bands could have had a Combat Rock-esque resurgence with a little Bernie in the backseat.
Not beyond bounds of possibility though I can’t think of two more people less suited to work together in the music industry than Kevin Rowland and Bernard Rhodes. Close call as to who was/is the most bonkers though i always found Rowland’s insanity much more of the charming kind.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Low Down Low wrote:
12 Feb 2019, 8:05am
Kory wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:

Isn’t that the time bernie sent them off to france without a penny in their pockets and they spent the whole time bitching about him. What I like about it is bernie definitely acted like a prick but I think looking back, the specials might agree that the trip did really bring them together as a band so maybe their was a bit of method to his madness. Being charitable to him in fairness.
Yep. Nearly broke them but yes you are right probably brought them closer together as a band. Bernie also credited with getting them to dress like a gang. Whether or not he can take the credit for the Rude Boy look ( which I doubt) he did advise them to get a look.
Whatever he did or didn’t do for them, i reckon the specials operated the correct bernie template, as did dexys too: get whatever early benefits they could out of his madcap plans and schemes, then fire the prick and, most crucial of all, STAY FIRED! The Clash fucked up on that last detail.
I dunno, both those bands could have had a Combat Rock-esque resurgence with a little Bernie in the backseat.
Not beyond bounds of possibility though I can’t think of two more people less suited to work together in the music industry than Kevin Rowland and Bernard Rhodes. Close call as to who was/is the most bonkers though i always found Rowland’s insanity much more of the charming kind.
Kevin wins as Bernie looks crap in a dress.
Attachments
Kevin Rowland - My Beauty.jpg

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Marky Dread wrote:
12 Feb 2019, 8:24am
Low Down Low wrote:
Kory wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
101Walterton wrote:

Haven’t had the dubious pleasure of witnessing Bernie in a frock so will have to take your word for it marky ;)

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Low Down Low wrote:
12 Feb 2019, 9:26am
Marky Dread wrote:
12 Feb 2019, 8:24am
Low Down Low wrote:
Kory wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:

Haven’t had the dubious pleasure of witnessing Bernie in a frock so will have to take your word for it marky ;)
:mrgreen:

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Low Down Low wrote:
Kory wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:

Yep Rowlsnd crazy as bat shit but I like to think that everything he did (including some not so nice things to his friends) was down to his inner drive to constantly seek perfection.

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

101Walterton wrote:
12 Feb 2019, 3:01pm
Low Down Low wrote:
Kory wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
101Walterton wrote:

Yep Rowlsnd crazy as bat shit but I like to think that everything he did (including some not so nice things to his friends) was down to his inner drive to constantly seek perfection.
He did do some bad shit which I think he regretted but i just can’t help myself rooting for a guy who once made a journalist jump into the thames for an interview and then proceeded to give him the best interview of his life!

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Low Down Low wrote:
12 Feb 2019, 3:28pm
101Walterton wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
Kory wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:

He did do some bad shit which I think he regretted but i just can’t help myself rooting for a guy who once made a journalist jump into the thames for an interview and then proceeded to give him the best interview of his life!
I don’t know that story?
Rowland knows what he does / did was wrong on occasions but seems that he puts his hands up and acknowledges it.

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

101Walterton wrote:
12 Feb 2019, 3:36pm
Low Down Low wrote:
12 Feb 2019, 3:28pm
101Walterton wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
Kory wrote:

I don’t know that story?
Rowland knows what he does / did was wrong on occasions but seems that he puts his hands up and acknowledges it.
I think it was uncut magazine, or something similar, around the time of that solo album referenced above. I remember that because the other bit that sticks in my memory is rowland excusing himself for a few minutes, then returning in full stockings and suspenders clobber and asking the (male) interviewer ‘how do I look?’ I’m sure I still have a copy of it somewhere.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

‘Out for delivery arriving today’.
Could be a great Friday night!! Times like this remind me of being a teenager and why I fell in love with music. Also explains why I live certain records / bands from that time. I remember reading reviews of new singles / albums before I heard them, listening to JP hoping he’d play them then going straight to the record shop from school to hear it or if I was lucky buy it. By the time you got to hear it you already loved it.
I could have had a skim listen on Spotify and made a quick decision weeks ago. No wonder music is so disposable today.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

101Walterton wrote:
14 Feb 2019, 3:14pm
Could be a great Friday night!! Times like this remind me of being a teenager and why I fell in love with music. Also explains why I live certain records / bands from that time. I remember reading reviews of new singles / albums before I heard them, listening to JP hoping he’d play them then going straight to the record shop from school to hear it or if I was lucky buy it. By the time you got to hear it you already loved it.
I could have had a skim listen on Spotify and made a quick decision weeks ago. No wonder music is so disposable today.
The Specials have split up now. :mrgreen:

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Marky Dread wrote:
14 Feb 2019, 4:02pm
101Walterton wrote:
They get back together 😉

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

101Walterton wrote:
14 Feb 2019, 4:55pm
Marky Dread wrote:
14 Feb 2019, 4:02pm
101Walterton wrote:
They get back together 😉
Going to reform with ex members of Madeness. Call themselves Specialness.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »